Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 winnie 36 DL. With all sound off there is a "tic tic tic" about 2 seconds apart coming from the speakers. If I turn the battery charger off the noise goes away and I suspect the ticing is the charger in the float mode. Also if cable vision is hooked up to park cable the sound system gives a steady hum with everything off. Any ideas or filters to stop the stray "ion, newtrons" or whatever else rons are running around in the system.
Thanks
notslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 winnie 36 DL. With all sound off there is a "tic tic tic" about 2 seconds apart coming from the speakers. If I turn the battery charger off the noise goes away and I suspect the ticing is the charger in the float mode. Also if cable vision is hooked up to park cable the sound system gives a steady hum with everything off. Any ideas or filters to stop the stray "ion, newtrons" or whatever else rons are running around in the system.
Thanks
notslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The interference (noise) could be entering via the amplifier input, or actually at the speaker wires themselves. The speaker wires could be acting as an 'antenna' to any RF (radio frequency) interference.

Disc capacitors right across the speaker leads at the speaker will shunt out the RF. Your battery charger could be producing this interference.

If the noise that is being induced into the speakers is not RF, then the capacitors won't help (they won't act as 'shunts' at lower frequencies.)

To help in troubleshooting, I would disconnect the speaker wires at the amplifier and see if you still have the noise present. If so, then the capacitors at the speakers should work. If not, then you are probably getting the noise introduced somehow in the amp itself.

You could try a Radio Shack 12V filter in series with the power input to the amplifier (assuming it is 12V.)

If this noise has never been a factor before, then something has happened either with your charger or sound system.

These are just a few rambling thoughts. There are other hams and electronic techs/engineers on the forum that should be able to help.

PS: we have had a clicking sound in our sound system with the TV off and radio off ever since the coach was new and my fix is to to flip the Radio Power switch to the engine position to kill power when we are not underway.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well, whatever the reason, the noise is quite typical of the sound system in Winnebago coaches. Like John, we normally kill the sound by switching radion power to engine. Below are other attempted solutions from past posts:

- Reverse connections on surround sound switch in overhead cabinet from TV to Radio and Radio to TV. Test Radio mode, and TV mode for proper operation.
- re-locate filter in cabinet behind TV to outside the cabinet if possible (I can't find a filter in mine...)
- Install a filter at the TV
- Install a filter at the amp
- Re-ground the amp
- Re-ground the radio
One owner reported, "Installing the filters took about 75% of the buzz out, re-doing the grounds fixed the rest."

If you choose to pursue it, let us know if you definitely find a solution!!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same thing and all I do is flip the speaker switch in the overhead or the one on the dash as Paul said. I am not sure of the electronics of the whole thing--I just know it stops!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer and have exactly the same issue.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My 05 Adventurer has the same issue. I thought it was the converter, but it makes the same sound with the converter unplugged, so I think its just the Riverpark amp (mine's located under the dash in front of the passenger next to the side wall). We've just gotten use to it.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Flip the aux radio switch on the dash. It cuts my "tick, tick, ticker" out.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote