Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sorry but please tell me what this is saying:

For sum reason I can not get this in my head, tell me what it is saying:? The part about using the Gen and 110v: (I feel dumb...):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qazzz.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	180372  
Old 07-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Jim,
No worries if you have 2 roof acs and if you have your coach plugged into your genie receptacle and are running the genie you can only run one ac assuming your genie is less than 5000 watts. Genie greater than 5000 watts and connected to shore power can run both acs. The selector allows you to turn on either the front or rear ac.

If plugged into shore power only you can only run one ac at a time. Same thing selector switch allows you to turn on either front or rear ac.
Angela
Old 07-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim SoG View Post
For sum reason I can not get this in my head, tell me what it is saying:? The part about using the Gen and 110v: (I feel dumb...):
I think it is telling you that with shore power connected you can only use one of the two AC units. You have a selector switch to decide which one to use Front or Rear, it is your choice.

Then it is telling you if you have a generator you can use both at the same time, but must be connected to Shorepower via generator.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your power cord can only support one A/C, whether it's plugged into a shore power outlet or the generator. However, if you look at the last page of the Body Wiring Diagram for your coach you can see that there are actually two circuit coming out of the generator--one to the outlet that you can plug the power cord into and the other going directly to the dual-A/C switch.

This means that when plugged into shore power you can only run one A/C, whichever you select with the switch. But when plugged into the generator you can run both because the 2nd circuit provides the additional power necessary for the 2nd A/C.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Your power cord can only support one A/C, whether it's plugged into a shore power outlet or the generator. However, if you look at the last page of the Body Wiring Diagram for your coach you can see that there are actually two circuit coming out of the generator--one to the outlet that you can plug the power cord into and the other going directly to the dual-A/C switch.

This means that when plugged into shore power you can only run one A/C, whichever you select with the switch. But when plugged into the generator you can run both because the 2nd circuit provides the additional power necessary for the 2nd A/C.
I think what is missing that may be making this hard to grasp is the below assumptions I make; so someone feel free to correct.

1. Shorepower must only be 30 amps
2. OPs Genset is 50 amps

What I would love to see is picture of actual switch. i.e. is it FRONT<>REAR<>BOTH if so; what when on BOTH and you only have shorepower?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Does the 96 Adventure have 50 amp pedestal capabilities?

If only 30 amp, DK hit it on the nail head. with only 30 Amp one could only run 1 AC on the 110 line. With 50 amp the AC's should be wired for L1 and L2, each with 110 vac.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What Cbeierl said
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What I would love to see is picture of actual switch. i.e. is it FRONT<>REAR<>BOTH if so; what when on BOTH and you only have shorepower?
Page 4 of the Body Wiring Installation diagram for the OP's coach shows the switch. Two positions, FRONT and REAR, must be set to FRONT to run both A/Cs.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I once had a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer. If your power cord is not plugged into and outside source (power box at campground), it must be plugged into the receptacle located in the bay where the power cord is stored. Then, the choice of one or two ACs can be selected with the switch if the generator is in operation. I think the switch is in the cabinet above the refrigerator. At least, it was in mine.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim SoG View Post

You appear to have a 96 Adventurer without an Automatic Transfer Switch and No Power Management System and that it is running on a 30 amp power cord so that when you want to switch from using a 30 amp campground or home (Shorepower) receptacle to running on your 40 or greater amp generator you have to physically move a plug in your Power Bay to a Generator Receptacle. When the generator is not being used and you are plugged into Shorepower you have to choose which Air Conditioner unit you desire to run (front or back) however when you switch from Shorepower to a Generator with more than 30 amps capacity you then have enough power to run both Air Conditioners at the same time.

Bottom line is that a 30 Amp power cord can only supply 3,600 Watts of power while the generators supply anywhere from 5,000 Watts to 7,000 Watts of power and when using 3,600 Watt Shorepower without automated systems to manage the loads for you to do things like turn off electric water heaters, switch the refrigerator from electric to propane, turn the air conditioner fan speeds to low, shut down one of the two air conditioners, etc you have to do all this manually

It's like Green Acres.

Things have advanced a bit since 1996 with automated transfer switches and automated power management systems to take care of this for you becoming the more standard configuration and not only available as extra cost options.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

It seems like there are some who are still making this more difficult than necessary but maybe a bit more explanation of the drawing will help as it is a bit of strange arrangement that many RV do not have.

I made this snip of the drawing and added some lines to explain how the Ac get power. When plugged into shore power, the blue line lets the 110 AC power flow in the cord, to the load center, and then to the switch where we can choose which AC to run, front or back.

When we move the plug from the shore power connection to the generator output , we still get the same route for power on the blue line with no change, we can select which AC to run, just the same as before. No change to the power cord except where it gets the 110AC power?

But what DOES change, is that there is a second source of 110AC power from the larger generators which feeds as the green line shows. The blue line still feeds the load center and all the RV, while the green line can now be used to power a second air conditioner!

It is not shown on this drawing as it is part of the genset but I am sure that second source is protected by a breaker on the genset.

Where it may be getting confused is in how we might measure those voltages. At this level, we normally speak of voltage by using ground as the reference and this will give us 110 on both lines but if we want to go off on theory where we are not using the normal ground point and move to testing from the blue line to the green line instead, we will likely get 220 Volts.

But that only applies to situations where you are messing outside the normal in your thinking! Best not to go there if you are new to the ideas involved!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	180455  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Where it may be getting confused is in how we might measure those voltages. At this level, we normally speak of voltage by using ground as the reference and this will give us 110 on both lines but if we want to go off on theory where we are not using the normal ground point and move to testing from the blue line to the green line instead, we will likely get 220 Volts....
Unfortunately, that's not the right theory. The typical RV generator (there are some high-end exceptions) will be generating single phase power so that measuring between the blue and green line would show 0V, not 220V.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Unfortunately, that's not the right theory. The typical RV generator (there are some high-end exceptions) will be generating single phase power so that measuring between the blue and green line would show 0V, not 220V.
Okay, good correction on that. I have to admit that 220 on Rv is not one I have given much thought to ---since there is none used and I passed over thinking about how much lower the genset on RV are than many other uses!

Totally missed on where we might find 220, so forget that idea!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote