Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Some outlets not working

I recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Via 25P. On my first”test” trip I noticed “one-half” of my 120 volt outlets were not functioning. During my attempt to uncover the solution, I discovered the working outlet were on the same circuit as the kitchen GFI outlet and on the same breaker in the breaker panel. The three or so non-working outlets were all on the other breaker circuit. Both outlet breaker were in the on position. Turning the breakers off and back on did not change the situation. It seems to me the situation probably has a simple solution but I am at a dead end. If anyone has some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
kageykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not experienced with your particular coach,But

Are you connected to shore power ? Running on generator ?

If you have an inverter

those circuits may be supplied by the inverter. Make sure the breaker on the inverter is not tripped. On my sightseer if the GFCI trips on my inverter I loose power on multiple circuits.

If Not inverter, It may be you have a GFCI tripped somewhere and the outlets are slaved to that GFCI.

Other Option to help you is pull down the electrical schematics for your coach from the Winnie website.

https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply,

I'm obviously new to all this and my electrical skill set is pitiful. That said, I have the same result whether on generator or on shore power. Tried reading the schematics but I would have a better result reading the Odyssey in Greek.
First thing I considered after eliminating the Breaker Box was the outlets were connected to a GFI somewhere in the coach but could not locate one.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

According to you year and model. The inverter is located in the passenger side basement compartment. There is also an outlet in the compartment. Most probably a GFCI. Check both the inverter and the outlet. All gfci's have a test button. When pluged in, hit the test button and it should trip, If it trips power is good there, then reset it. If it doesn't trip, it's not getting power or has already been tripped. Reset it

Which outlets specifically are not working and what are the first 7 digits of your serial number, as they made 2 different 25p's that year
Old 06-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

wmckinley,

I really appreciate you taking time to help me with this problem. I am certain you have better things to do. I store my RV so have to travel to try things.

I am certain you a correct, the problem has something to do with the inverter
( Xantrex XM1800). When turned on at the remote panel it beeps and presents an error code which alternates between E05 and OL. In the basement, the GFI cannot be reset as it appears to be receiving no power. Testing the outlet confirms lack of power. Any ideas would obviously be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

kageykg--sorry you are having trouble. I found this thread on our sister forum iRV2. Perhaps you will find some help here... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/xantr...ot-359884.html

Do you have the user manual for your inverter? If not, you might "google" to find it online.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Sarah, read the thread and I'll try some of the things suggested.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

kageykg,

The Xantrex error codes are reporting an overload on the inverter. If nothing is plugged into any of the supplied outlets then it would be either a shorted wire, or the Xantrex has gone south. Outlets supplied per the wiring diagram are

Bedroom satelite prep ---- more likely the power for the bedroom tv

front satelite prep---- cabinet left of dinette

lounge outlet --- cabinet left of dinette
air bed. ----underneath table for dinette

The location information I pulled from the wiring diagram for the coach from winnie web site. The failure info came from Xantrex and other sites.

BTW the electrical skill set will come, It took me a few coaches before I learned what i know now.

It can be Fun, enlightening and frustrating all at the same time.

Hope you find your problem.

Keep us updated.

30P
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your input. As there is nothing plugged into any of those outlets it's certainly one of the 2. My neighbor is an electrician. Although he isn't around much in the summer the next time he is in town I may try to entice him with some beer to have a look see.

Thanks again to all for your help. If I find what the problem is I'll post
Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

GFIs fail like all other electronic items. I suggest you start by replacing it.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Larry,

Your right. Called Xantrex today and discussed problem with a tech rep. He walked me though some tests and final outcome was unit required replacing. Going to start saving for a new one.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

That’s why we are a community, kagey!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageykg View Post
Larry,

Your right. Called Xantrex today and discussed problem with a tech rep. He walked me though some tests and final outcome was unit required replacing. Going to start saving for a new one.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Just took a peek at this thread. I suggest a Magnum pure sine wave replacement. Xantrex has a failure history.

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-s/1821.htm

Ask them to help you choose the correct inverter for your needs. Great folks.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Jeri,

Thanks for your input. My only concern with changing inverters would be the install. I'm simply too inept too tackle pulling and replacing wiring and reinventing attaching the new inverter. Through reading posts,I had already made the connection that Xantrex had a sketchy reliability record but felt forced to repurchase out of convenience.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageykg View Post
Jeri,

Thanks for your input. My only concern with changing inverters would be the install. I'm simply too inept too tackle pulling and replacing wiring and reinventing attaching the new inverter. Through reading posts,I had already made the connection that Xantrex had a sketchy reliability record but felt forced to repurchase out of convenience.

I can't see how you can fail. With the application of a little logic, great care for safety and reading the installation manual you can do it. The hard part is picking the monsters up! All the wires are already in place. Identify each and hang a label off each. Pull them off (ALL power disconnected of course), remover the old inverter and mount the new one, making mounting holes where needed, connect all of the wires, test. Make certain to go back and re-tighten the wires before you button up. The wire will relax after first being pinched in the connector.

Look things over real well and become familiar with the ins and outs of your system. Consider this a great opportunity to learn about one of the most important systems of your RV.

Rick

How is your inverter now mounted? Shelf, left wall, right wall...?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Did you reset the GFI receptacle?