Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie2017 View Post
OMG!! You are soooo knowledgeable about this!! Thank you so much!! My VIA is a 2017. My son is an electrician and said he will help me figure this out. The drawings will be so very helpful. THANK YOU��
looks like both the 2015 and 2017 are wired the same so the drawing/picture should give him the info he needs. One item to let him know, in case he is not an Rv person, is the way the inverter works. It sounds like it can use the batteries and make AC out of that DC but it is not passing the AC that you are plugged into.

It will have a connection to the batteries and since you get that to work, the wiring from the inverter to the outlets is likely to be good.
But there is also a connection from the inverter to the AC supply that comes through a cord at the inverter plugged into an outlet or from the breaker panel.
It sounds like one or the other of those is not good.
Good luck with the chase.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Okay. I have a 2016 Navion 24j. The GFCI under the front of the bed kept tripping. I replaced it with a 20amp and everything worked. Went and got a 15 amp to put the correct amp in. Now the 15 amp will not work and when I put the 20 amp back in, it keeps tripping. Never have the breakers tripped. The outlets off the inverter work fine. As far as I know, the GFCI is connected to my kitchen outlet and the outlet above the vanity sink. Not sure what else is connected to it other than those. Any suggestions?
haaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Yes, this seems a puzzle that may take a little testing to clear. But it doesn't involve a whole big bunch of the wiring, so that makes it a bit easier.

First is a small point on what you are dealing with as the GFCI tells us different things than a normal breaker. The normal breaker will trip when too much current is flowing and it heats up and trip.
But the GFCI is a different type of safety which is designed to cut off power very quickly IF it finds there is power flowing in the wrong way and going to ground. Fault to ground might be a better name as it looks for things like power going out a bare wire and through us to ground! It is meant to work so quickly that we don't get a major shock!

So changing to a 20 amp was not all that dangerous as the original breaker which senses the amount of current was still the same 15 amp breaker at the load center. Just that one specific outlet was going to be slower to melt down, which is okay, even though rated more than expected.

But I am going to guess there is a problem in the circuit, at the GFCI or beyond that is letting some power leak to ground and that may be some temporary thing. Temporary faults can be harder to find because they do change, so we sometimes have to work the problem real slow and steady .

Looking at this drawing, I think you said the breaker is not tripping but the GFCI is, meaning the problem is something at the GFCI outlet or one of the others "downstream" / further away from the load center. The reason they put GFCI on these outlets is that they all are close to places where we might be wet and handle the electrical items plugged in them.

So what the GRFCI tripping is telling you is that there is some point along those outlets where the power is not staying where it should and is leaking to ground. Since it is come and go, it may be something that you plug into one outlet that is not working right. Hairdryers are really good at doing that but it may be something that trips when that item is plugged and and then doesn't trip when everything is unplugged.

Of course it could be a problem in the wiring but that is less likely to come and go than an item with some small defect which is plugged in and trips the GFCI but then unplugged when you are looking for trouble. So if it is tripping now, look what is plugged in and try unplugging one item at a time until it stops tripping! If you get all these outlet empty and it still trips, look very carefully at each outlet for any signs of something out of place and if not spotting anything, try disconnecting some of the wire to some of the outlets to see where it stops tripping!

That's where slow and steady has to be done as it is meant to work really quick to save us if we drop the hairdryer in the sink and try to grab it! So that means a splash of water in the outlet may trip it and then dry out and leave us going silly trying to find it like a ghost! But while it won't reset right now, that's a good time to find the ghost!

Maybe something gets shoved up against an outlet and then it's gone like a ghost? Sorry, we have to look really carefully to find a ghost!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navion GFCI.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	179576  
Old 06-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I used a fan that works in the outlets fed by the inverter. No issue. I plug it in to the other outlets and it either pops when I put it in or sometimes it will run and when I pull it out it trips the gfci.
haaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:43 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Question No power to some outlets

Hello. I have a 2018 Winnebago View 24V with no power to most of the electrical outlets inside the RV. I reset my GFCI at the end of the kitchen sink counter and the little green light turned on. That is the only outlet working inside the RV. Why can’t I get power to the rest of the outlets?
Dstroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstroot View Post
Hello. I have a 2018 Winnebago View 24V with no power to most of the electrical outlets inside the RV. I reset my GFCI at the end of the kitchen sink counter and the little green light turned on. That is the only outlet working inside the RV. Why can’t I get power to the rest of the outlets?
I fixed the issue, it was the GFCI outlet in the basement for the inverter.
Dstroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:44 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Late for today's issue as you've found it, But there are drawings of the electrical online that may help if needed in the future?

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

They don't show the inverter, so that may be something added as an option but the 110 drawings are somewhat like a roadmap and may help to locate what route the power follows to get to any speciifc outlets?

I never have too much paperwork to help me if I can avoid having to crawl around looking for things!

Tags
electrical