Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Solar panel question on new Era

I have a new 2018 Era that has 2 solar panels on the roof and an additional port on the side of the RV for supplemental panels. I also have a goal zero yeti 1000 power station that I am planning on purchasing a portable briefcase style panel for. I have found an adapter cable that goes from the goal zero style connector to the SAE type on the Winnie- will I be able to connect this panel directly into the Era when I’m not charging the yeti with that cable or will I need to get one of the polarity change adapters in addition? The manuals that came with the unit are sorely lacking on this type of info... thanks!
EraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I have no idea what a goal zero yeti is, but most Winnebagos use Zamp products and they use SAE connectors - unlike just about everyone else. They also reverse the “standard” SAE wiring so that the positive wire is the female or covered side of the connector. So it depends on how this goal zero yeti is wired. But I’d count on the Winnie being wired opposite of the common SAE method.

Oh, unless WBGO messed up the wiring at the factory. Mine was wired incorrectly for the Zamp system and my Solar Charge Controller showed a P-01 error, which means reversed wiring. And I’ve seen one other WBGO with the same error.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I find this kinda interesting. I purchased an extra panel from Zamp. The wire was not connected. I had to wire it. There was no info in the instructions on which way to wire it. I called Zamp and the tech guy seemed confused with my question, did not understand, at first and then finally said that it didn't matter.

I decided to check the voltage off the other panel, already up there and wired it that way. No issues. Might explain the wrong wiring from WBGO. 50/50 chance of getting it right, LOL.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Might explain the wrong wiring from WBGO. 50/50 chance of getting it right, LOL.
I figured they wired it the way SAE is always wired - the female side is negative and the male side is positive. No brainer, except when it comes to Zamp.

I have to admit, I took a short cut to correct the problem and I'll bet it will come back to bite me one day. To correct it I should have removed the 3-port portal on the roof, verified each of the wires and made sure it was correctly wired to the controller.

But what I did was swap the pos and neg connections for the wires coming from the roof on the back of the control. Problem solved. No Dicor needed. Hope I remember this a couple of years from now.

Also, my Solar panels do not have a fuse between them and the controller. That's something I need to fix pretty soon.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Also, my Solar panels do not have a fuse between them and the controller. That's something I need to fix pretty soon.

Do you really think that is necessary? Fuse is there to protect wiring and these panels put out so little, compared to 110 volt items and the wiring is plenty for the job. I'm sure the controller can protect itself.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
Do you really think that is necessary? Fuse is there to protect wiring and these panels put out so little, compared to 110 volt items and the wiring is plenty for the job. I'm sure the controller can protect itself.
Yes, for two reasons - even with low voltage they put out enough amps to cause problems if they get shorted out. Also, if I want to "turn them off" for any reason - to work on the controller, etc - it's impossible to do without climbing to the roof and putting cardboard over all the panels.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel