Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar Panel move from House to Chassis batteries

I have a 02 Journey and am interested in moving the solar charging circuit from the house batteries to the chassis batteries. Reason being is that when the coach is not being used I keep it plugged in which takes care of charging the house batteries... doesn't make since to have the solar panel hooked up to the same batteries. Meanwhile, the chassis batteries batteries don't receive any charge unless I run an external additional charger. I believe that connecting the solar panel to the chassis batteries that will take care of the normal parasitic draw.

I cannot find where the solar charger wiring terminates into the house battery circuit and have not had any luck finding it in the Winny wiring diagrams. Any help would be appreciated.
wfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maybe a DPDT switch and wires from the house to chassis battery banks to transfer solar charge power from the house to chassis battery? Or install a bird or Trick-L-Charge to tie the battery banks together? Or MorningStar makes a dual solar controller that will will divert a percentage to a second battery bank?

Another consideration is the quality of the Chargers. My MorningStar solar controller is a much better charger than my onboard deck converter, so even when on shore power I turn off the converter and let the morningstar do the charging
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have a boost solenoid, hook a "Yandia Battery Combiner" between the 2 big posts. 1 small ground wire and you're done.
Now all batteries will stay charged.

Nice and simple, hands free solution.

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
I have a 02 Journey and am interested in moving the solar charging circuit from the house batteries to the chassis batteries. Reason being is that when the coach is not being used I keep it plugged in which takes care of charging the house batteries... doesn't make since to have the solar panel hooked up to the same batteries. Meanwhile, the chassis batteries batteries don't receive any charge unless I run an external additional charger. I believe that connecting the solar panel to the chassis batteries that will take care of the normal parasitic draw.

I cannot find where the solar charger wiring terminates into the house battery circuit and have not had any luck finding it in the Winny wiring diagrams. Any help would be appreciated.
MAYBE your 02 Journey is different, but I'm under the impression that the standard factory-installed roof-top solar panel IS for charging the chassis battery. Mine is. I also believe that WBGO includes the "TRIK-L-Start" as standard equipment on all their DP models (now) and the T-L-S does what you want to accomplish, and think you could easily add one if yours did not come that way, as I did, because WBGO does not include them on their gassers. Between the solar and T-L-S, I've never found my cranking battery to be weak and it was OE in 2009 when my sig coach was built.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here's the Winnebago Service Tip on installing the Trik-L-Start: 2006-04 Trik-L-Start. It a very easy install and I recommend it.

(Note that LSLProducts web address has moved from .com to .net, so the link in the pdf file is outdated. Here's the current one: Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have 4 ~75 watt panels. I have one of them wired through a DPDT switch and on the road it goes to house batteries. At home I do not leave the RV plugged in so I flip the switch on the single panel to the chassis battery. Of course, it has its own little charge controller when going to the chassis battery. Did this because the chassis battery would discharge over time and I would have to use the boost to start the engine. Works great!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

As already mentioned by vsheetz, the Morningstar Sun Saver Duo controller will charge both banks of batteries. You can read up on them on the Morningstar website.

I have a single 135w solar panel, and all batteries are always topped off and ready to go. They are great to use while in storage, as there is never the discharge/charge cycle that occurs when stored for lengthy periods of time. I've had this system for about 4-5 years now with no issues. Also, if used only to keep batteries topped off in storage, the 135w panel is WAY overkill. This doesn't cause a problem with that "smart" controller, you just don't need that many watts to keep them charged up.

NOTE: I shut off the 12v house circuit when stored so there is very little drain. I have only 10% of the panels wattage directed to the chassis 12v using the controller. However, when the house batteries get a full charge, the controller throws the full charge to the chassis battery. Slick.......... I love it!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis, panel, solar