Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Solar Panel Articles

As a lifelong boater who cruised full time for a couple of years (analogous to full time RVing) I installed solar panels on a couple of my and friend's boats. So a few years ago I wrote a series of articles on installing a small system, sizing a big system and installing a big system.

These are available on a sister publication https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/. Look at the upper right of the opening page and click on Library and then go to the Systems section. Scroll down and you will find these three articles and a few written by others.

You have to do a bit of translating of terms to the RV world, but they are easy and correlate almost identically. For example when I say DC panel in the boating world, it means DC converter fuse panel in the RV world. When I say hang out at anchor in the boating world, it means dry camping in the RV world.

These articles cover installations as small as 100 watts up to a thousand or more.

There have been a couple of changes due to the market in the last few years that make things easier and cheaper. Amazon now offers large 200 watt panels in both 12V and 24V nominal specs with free Prime shipping. Previously only 100 watt panels were offered and could be shipped reasonably.

The other change is the availability of reasonable cost MPPT controllers that make it unnecessary to use PWM ones. Renogy makes decent ones and Victron makes nice ones. Prices have dropped almost in half since writing these articles.

Avoid the no name brands. I have almost always regretted buying no name Chinese junk. The same generally can't be said about solar panels. Unless you are squeezing the maximum wattage in available space and need the high efficiency of the Perc panels, almost any 100-200 watt panel is as good as anyone else's.

Enjoy!!!

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks David, I bookmarked this for further study. I didn't know if I should put it into my boat library or Motorhome. I chose Motorhome. Haha.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have space for a large solar panel, Mission Solar 320 watt high (19.2 %) efficency mono-crystalline residential solar panels with PERC technology can be had for 52 cents per watt. The Power Store. You have to call and purchase thru their sales dept to get that price, the web site price shown is 60 cents per watt. Unfortunately they can't ship UPS or Fedex Ground, they are too big, 5' 6" x 3' 8". However with Amazon solar module prices running in the $ 1 per watt range (with free shipping, though), if you need more than a few you can still come out better after paying the freight. Or if you are in driving distance of the Dallas metro, you can pick them up.

The MPPT maximum 320 watt output power points are 34 volts and 9.4 amps.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's one of the Mission Solar 320 Watt Panels installed on a Winnebago View...

Photo was taken before the lap sealant was applied over the fasteners.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34BE4915-B8EF-49AA-8BC3-B146BA971718.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	175441  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Awesome! Since I got my TT I've been telling people I don't think I'll bother getting into solar, but then I got my LiFePO4 batteries and, well, game changer! I'll be reading your articles.

Looks like I need to create an account over there. Easy enough
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I just checked and discovered that you can access the Library on Trawler Forum, select the Misc section and select an article, all without registering. But when you hit Download, it fails if you aren't registered. Bummer.

But it is easy to register as it is a sister website, all managed by the same organization.

I wish this forum had a similar Library.

David
Old 10-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Given the inconvenience of having to register on TF to see these articles, I am attaching them here:

Solar Panels for your Boat- Basic installation of 1 or 2 100 watt panels

Sizing a Solar Panel System- How to juggle solar panel wattage, battery amp hour rating and generator charging to pick the right solar panel size

Installing a Large Solar Panel System- Installation of multiple large panels

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solar panels for your boat.pdf (124.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf Sizing a solar panel system.pdf (215.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Installing a large solar panel system.pdf (204.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If I get a solar panel Suite case with the charging module that has cable with alligator clamps can I just connect it to the house battery post or do they have to be connected to my freedom invert/ charger. If I connect direct to battery do I have to disconnect the inverter charger somehow.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

No you just clip on to your battery terminals. But if there is no fuse in the positive cable, you need one within a foot or so of the battery. It needs to be sized to pass the full DC output of your solar panels but be small enough to be below the wire's current carrying capacity.

Post the wire size and your solar panel's wattage and we can advise the proper fuse size.

David
Old 10-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
The other change is the availability of reasonable cost MPPT controllers that make it unnecessary to use PWM ones. Renogy makes decent ones and Victron makes nice ones. Prices have dropped almost in half since writing these articles.
Perhaps you can explain the difference between MPPT and PWM solar controllers. I don't understand why I would want to replace the one that came with the Winnie Fuse that we have (Zamp 30 amp), but I assume there is a perfectly good reason to do so. It might help me understand what is the next step to take in our battery-solar panel setup.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel