Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar Charger

Is there a trick to get the solar battery charger turned on? It seems my little red light is never lit.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Are you speaking of a solar panel on the AC unit and indicator light on the AC grill in the ceiling? if so, am not aware of anything specific to turn it on or enable it. I have one and the light is illuminated when in the sun.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My red light did quit working. Replaced it with a new one and all is well again.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yup, always on; although, the 10W solar panel is almost useless. I plan to upgrade to 100W this spring, and install wiring to support more wattage in the future.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

For the little 10"x16" PV on the roof, I have no switching or control at all. When my red light failed, I discovered the panel had cracked diagonally across the face. Don't know how. Replaced it and the light works again. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Please check your operators manual. I think on these newer systems the light only comes on when we are not charging from an external source. On shore power the inverter/charger is always supplying power to the house batteries that is greater than what the solar panel requires to operate. A true test would be to simulate dry docking. Shut your 50A breaker off and set the generator to manual. Watch your battery voltage and see when the light in question comes on.

This panel is only for keeping some charge on the bank when the coach is in storage or not being used. In my operators manual it is explained in section 4 page 8.

In my opinion, if it doesn't work it is of no loss.

There is a breaker for the panel. You might check it just for comfort sake.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all, you helped me also.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

jerichorick -- on the Vectra (or I guess, on mine) the 10watt solar panel wires direct to the chassis battery. The brightness of the light is an analog representation of the amount of sun hitting the panel. Under normal conditions, it is brightest at midday, of course. In the evening, when it fades, so do I. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
jerichorick -- on the Vectra (or I guess, on mine) the 10watt solar panel wires direct to the chassis battery. The brightness of the light is an analog representation of the amount of sun hitting the panel. Under normal conditions, it is brightest at midday, of course. In the evening, when it fades, so do I. \ken
Your a hoot! Yes. This was true on my '05 Vectra. Not so on my '11 Meridian. But, do I fade when the sun goes down? You bet!!!

Tags
solar