Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Solar? 2000 Suncruser?

My Suncruser comes with a small solar panel on roof. I assume it is stock! Does this small panel have a controller? if so where is it? How big of a panel can I add to this with out having to redesign the whole system?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

I believe they came with a tiny 10 watt Battery “maintainer.” Also, others that upgraded it found that the just as tiny solar controller would not survive even an increase to 50 watts.

So it you’re thinking of adding solar you pretty much have to start from scratch.

Here’s a older thread on the subject:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ing-52054.html
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 10 watt panel is connected directly to your battery. There is no controller. It is not a good idea to connect directly to the battery - you need a controller as a "12v" panel typically puts out 17v.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Since the prices of solar panels has decreased so much over the years, there's not much point in spending the money, time and effort in trying to improve the existing system for only a few watts. For one thing, the wiring gauge will be too small for anything that's large enough for anything but trickle charging your battery while in storage.

IMHO, anything smaller than 100w probably isn't worth the effort. For example, Home Depot has 100w kits for under $200:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...1003,6620,6966

There's not much involved in "redesigning the system". It's pretty much limited to mounting the panel(s) and running wires to your battery, locating the new controller somewhere in between. Your new controller will provide all the monitoring you need so you'll be bypassing your power management system altogether. The solar LED on the panel won't light but the voltage readings will still be functional.

If your rig is similar to my 2002 Suncruiser 35U, routing the wiring down the refrigerator vent and down the back of the refrigerator compartment will give you a pretty direct route to your batteries with the controller located in-line at a convenient spot (kitchen cabinet above step well?). I've done this before on a TT and have two 160w panels to install on my 35U. I'll probably leave the pre-existing panel in place and just disconnect it.

In order to ensure both your house and coach batteries get charged via solar, I'd suggest installing either a two-bank controller or a Trik-L-Start.

There are plenty of online resources to help you with this. There's some good info here:

https://www.solar-electric.com/learning-center
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the incite, the little bit of boondocking we have done has made me be happy with running the Generator a couple hours a day. But I find it spooky to run more electrical options to what already seems like an18 year old electrical nightmare to me. I was considering having solar to have a separate system to charge my phones and computers. This winter might change my mind as we are planning on boondocking more.
I was considering having an extra battery and inverter to plug my toys into!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Thanks for the incite, the little bit of boondocking we have done has made me be happy with running the Generator a couple hours a day. But I find it spooky to run more electrical options to what already seems like an18 year old electrical nightmare to me. I was considering having solar to have a separate system to charge my phones and computers. This winter might change my mind as we are planning on boondocking more.
I was considering having an extra battery and inverter to plug my toys into!!!
Another option is portable solar. Major advantages are elimination of almost all of the installation issues and the ability to orient it for optimum exposure. The major disadvantages are:

1. Set-up and take-down
2. Storing
3. Potential of theft if your rig is left unattended.
4. Higher cost/watt
5. Lower maximum wattage

You could buy a 100w solar "kit", make your own portable stand and install it on the roof if you decide portable isn't for you, adding additional panels if you decide to do so.

Here's a link for info: https://campaddict.com/portable-solar-panels/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar