Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Post slide out and dry camping

I have recently acquired my new Micro Winnie 2108DS, and the owner manual mentioned that the slide out will work if the battery is mostly full. And after my first trip my battery went empty due to a cold temperature where the heater ran all night. In the morning I was unable to enter the slide out even with my solar system. A nightmare! I connect my car like I was doing with my pop trailer, nothing again. As a solution (I don't want to bring a generator with the fuel) I could bring a spare battery. But my car has an inverter producing 120vols at 10 Amp and I'm wondering if this is enough to close it? I try to find the information without success. Thank you!
Allairea67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You want to have the car running and charging the RV battery for probably 15 minutes or more and then try to bring the slide in. So, yes, the car should be able to bring the slide in.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do not try to hook 120v to your trailer. The slide needs 12v to operate.

The best thing to do is use jumper cables from your TVs battery to your trailer’s battery.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Do not try to hook 120v to your trailer. The slide needs 12v to operate.

The best thing to do is use jumper cables from your TVs battery to your trailer’s battery.

David
Why can't they just plug the trailers shore power cord into the car's 120V outlet, to power the trailer's converter to provide 12V to the trailer battery to power the slide out?

That sure seems to be the simplest solution to me, just plug the trailer into the car's 120V outlet.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Why can't they just plug the trailers shore power cord into the car's 120V outlet, to power the trailer's converter to provide 12V to the trailer battery to power the slide out?

That sure seems to be the simplest solution to me, just plug the trailer into the car's 120V outlet.
I can't say which is easier, rigging up extension cord and 30/15A adapter or using jumper cables. But either should work. Leaving the trailer hooked up to the 7 pin connector should work as well, but it will take a while to charge the batteries enough. My car would only supply 10 amps DC to a discharged battery so you need to build up some charge in the battery to have enough power to move the slide.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Team

I know the OP didn’t want to bring a generator/fuel but that is the typical solution to all dry camping battery needs. It’s true that other provisions for power can be made, and more battery power and solar charging is a great and necessary addition, but backup power generation is the ultimate solution to a dead battery.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allairea67 View Post
But my car has an inverter producing 120vols at 10 Amp and I'm wondering if this is enough to close it?
The WFCO 8955 converter in my Minnie has a max DC out of 940W, so 1200W is plenty. When I first plug in my trailer, the initial surge from shore power is about 7A if everything in the trailer is turned off and the fridge is in propane mode. It quickly tapers down to less than 5A AC while the batteries are charging at 30A DC.

My truck has a 120W inverter that is all but useless. I've seen a few cars/trucks with factory 400W inverters, but not 1200. Is this an aftermarket inverter?
Old 02-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Your are right! The power is only 150 watts and useless. The plug is for 120 volts but this get me in the wrong direction 120v multiply by 10amps. It's not a 1200 watts. I wanted a generator running on propane but it's not available in Canada. Thank you to all, all comments are useful.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I wanted a generator running on propane but it's not available in Canada.
I just looked on Amazon CA and sure enough, no Dual Fuel inverter generators. That is strange. Before "Dual Fuel" was a thing, a lot of folks bought kits to convert their generators to propane. There are kits available for many of the popular generators out there. Here's one for the Honda Eu2200i.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You could try one of the large battery power supply’s, we have one form Duracell that runs everything except the A/C and the microwave.
mlien477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My solution

When we first started camping we only had one battery...that didn’t cut it up in the mountains with cold weather, fitness running all night. Solution for us was: 2 batteries, 100amp portable solar, set the fitness to 60deg, good blankets. Haven’t had a problem since and we have been in 8 deg weather recently. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D29D200-A562-4FA2-8C17-2A9DB3388B84.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	177330  
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I have recently acquired my new Micro Winnie 2108DS, and the owner manual mentioned that the slide out will work if the battery is mostly full. And after my first trip my battery went empty due to a cold temperature where the heater ran all night. In the morning I was unable to enter the slide out even with my solar system. A nightmare! I connect my car like I was doing with my pop trailer, nothing again. As a solution (I don't want to bring a generator with the fuel) I could bring a spare battery. But my car has an inverter producing 120vols at 10 Amp and I'm wondering if this is enough to close it? I try to find the information without success. Thank you!
We took a different approach to camping in the North above the arctic circle. We have 2 single comforters and 2 three-season sleeping bags. We find the furnace fan cycling on and off disrupted our sleep. On a night that went down to a few degrees above freezing, we slept fine. First one up turns on the heater and hops back into bed! Separate comforters allows one person to get up without pulling their partner's bedding off them.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Champion makes dual fuel inverter generators. Gas or Propone operation.
Mark Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The easiest thing to do is back your tow vehicle up to the hitch and plug tour trailer in as if you are towing; I did that all the time. If set up properly, your tow vehicle will charge the trailer battery. Start up your tow vehicle and you should have plenty of power to run your slide in. You may need to rumm it for a few minutes to get some juice into your trailer battery first. We dry camp a lot and one battery just won't cut it; get a second battery if you plan on using your heater much at night.
Marty
Marty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I always carry a Schumacher brick in my pickup. It only cost about a hundred bucks. I can’t count the number of times I’ve bailed out other people whose vehicles or boats won’t start. And, it will always have enough juice to bring in my slide and operate my tongue jack, if I run my house battery down. Just hook up the jumper cables to your battery, and wait a couple of minutes. Then you’ll have enough voltage in your battery to bring in the slide. Haven’t had to use it for that yet, but it’s a handy tool to keep onboard.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Your are right! The power is only 150 watts and useless. The plug is for 120 volts but this get me in the wrong direction 120v multiply by 10amps. It's not a 1200 watts. I wanted a generator running on propane but it's not available in Canada. Thank you to all, all comments are useful.
Champion 2500w dual fuel now availed for order through Home Depot. I ordered a week ago, and received it two days ago. iPad $540US with mil discount.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I used to! Getting older, I need more heat! Lol!j i noticed it is not linked to the right chat? Sorry
Old 02-16-2021, 06:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
I always carry a Schumacher brick in my pickup. It only cost about a hundred bucks. I can’t count the number of times I’ve bailed out other people whose vehicles or boats won’t start. And, it will always have enough juice to bring in my slide and operate my tongue jack, if I run my house battery down. Just hook up the jumper cables to your battery, and wait a couple of minutes. Then you’ll have enough voltage in your battery to bring in the slide. Haven’t had to use it for that yet, but it’s a handy tool to keep onboard.
This is a great idea. Googled Schumacher and they have AGM batteries, and not only jump starts vehicles, but recharges cell phones, laptops, etc, or anything else that can plug into a usb port, and has an inverter (120VAC plugs), and a air compressor. Probably a great idea to keep one in the car/truck as emergency power supply.

Thanks!
geoham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #20
KWP
KP

This happened to me with my slide-out and battery. I tried turning my car on to charge the battery so it would close and no luck. I used my Winnebago roadside assistance for them to come and jump my battery which successfully closed my slide- out. First lesson learned was to use my propane instead of my battery and not drain the battery. I have solar panels that help too. Second lesson was to be more aware and finally I’m going to install the larger propane tanks.
KWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, slide, slide out