Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Issues - 2018 Winnebago Intent 26M

I have a bit of a weird issue and hoping maybe someone has maybe had similar issue and can help me.

-- 2018 Winnebago Intent 26M
-- 2 Brand new 12v Napa batteries (checked amps and voltage and have no battery problems.
-- 2 Lippert Controllers - Model 366701

Was at a campground - levelers down. Put rear slide out just fine. When I did the front slide only the back side of it started going out and I stopped. Tried to put it back in but nothing happened. Tried again, same thing only back side would move.

So after talking with some people on Facebook and an RV tech I ended up having to use a 12v battery booster and some bare wires to send 12v to the motors directly. Decided to put the side that went out back all the way. Then hooked motors back up to controller and tried again. Same thing.

So in order to enjoy our trip with the slide out I just applied 12v power to each of the motors and brought the slide all the way out. Did the same thing in reverse when we were leaving.

Once back at home tried the slide again and still was having the same issue. So I decided to swap controllers and the problem was still the same on the front slide.

A few times I tried the slide again both sides would go out but only in like 4" increments and it would stop even if the "OUT" button was held down. If I just kept pressing the OUT button it would eventually go all the way out. Even one time the front side of the slide went out but not the back. So having very random issues.

Called an RV tech out to check it out.
Tech asked me to briefly show them the problem, they said ok, we'll take care of it and said to go back inside the house.

About 30 mins later he came back to the door and said that he talked to Lippert Support and they said I needed a new controller. They said the 366701 was an old model and it was replaced with 13398-DO.

He had an amazon link and said he can order the part and I can just pay him or I can order it. Just to be safe I said I would order the part myself. I completely forgot that I swapped controllers and so I didn't even ask him to do any sort of proof. So I ordered the part and he said when it comes in call him and he will come back and install it. He charged me $350 for the service call.

So then the part came in and I started looking at the 2 controllers and noticing that the pin outs for the motors was different along with the switch plug and even the power.

So I began questioning this in my head saying this can't be the correct controller. So I decided to just call Lippert myself. When I got the tech on the phone and explained to him the problem he said absolutely 100% this 13398-DO is not the correct controller. He said that controller is for a Schwintek System and my slide is a SlimRack system and those 2 controllers are not compatible.

So I told the RV tech this info and he argued with me and sorta got mad that I called Lippert myself and said all you needed to do was order the part and let me do the rest. So what was he going to do, cut the wires and add different connectors and swap around the motor pins in the connector? Well I wasn't really cool with that because then I would run into an issue where if I need to do some swap again the 2 controllers would be different.

The RV tech told me it's not my job to diagnose the RV and that I called him because I couldn't figure it out and to let him do his job and to order the part again that I returned to Amazon and call him when it's in and he'll handle it.
He told me that if I wanted he would get on a conference call with Lippert and prove to me that is the controller I needed. However all this was done over text messages and I couldn't get him to actually call me and make the call.

The next day I decided to call Lippert again assuming I'd get a different technician (which I did) and I explained the issue again and once again this tech told me the same thing the other one did and that controller is wrong and not to use it as it's not what I need. He had me run through some different things and I explained how I swapped controllers and he determined that it's probably not a controller issue but maybe something else with a motor or wiring harness.

So I've tried to get this RV tech to understand that it's not the correct diagnosis and to maybe even return my $350 I paid him for 30 mins of wrong diagnosis (I paid him with Zelle and there's no chargebacks or ways to get your money back).

So I'm on here to see if anyone has any ideas what my problem is and guide me in a different direction.

Thank you

Brad
mdntblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, winnebago