Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sideview cameras?

We are interested in hearing from folks who have sideview cameras whether you use them and consider them worthwhile. We're planning to order a new motor home shortly and are trying to decide whether to order the optional side view cameras (a rear camera is standard). Any input will be much appreciated.
WantaWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantaWinnie View Post
We are interested in hearing from folks who have sideview cameras whether you use them and consider them worthwhile. We're planning to order a new motor home shortly and are trying to decide whether to order the optional side view cameras (a rear camera is standard). Any input will be much appreciated.

Easy
i do not know how i ever lived without them
I use them and like the added view they give backing in, flip the turn signal and it lights up the side for a double check , then go back to the backup camera and watch my director (dw)
get color... we had b/w when we purchased the rig and then they were replaced with a warranty program to color.
i use em going around corners to make sure i am covered.
i use my mirrors just as much
in traffic i have the rear camera on all the time so when you flip the turn signal its quicker than with the camera off
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Our rig came with the side cameras but I would never pay to have them. They are ok to have but usually there is to much glare and they are useless when it rains. I do love the adjustable rear camera.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Like Monacoach my coach came with the side cameras installed. However, after using them I would not order them as an option. The main objection I have is that when you turn on the turn signal you get the side view but lose the rear view. I can use mirrors for the side but have no backup for the rear view. Additionally, the side cameras are completely useless at night as the screen blossoms due to traffic headlights. Finally, just as with convex mirrors you have virtually no depth perception.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Love the side cameras. For me, they are an added safety feature that fills in the blind spots left by my mirrors.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Two obvious uses of a side camera for me.

1. Trying to park next to the petrol pump and the dump station - my RV has been converted to RHD for NZ conditions so both of these are on the "wrong" side for me to see easily.
2. Backing out into a traffic stream (on a quiet road, not a motorway ) - nice to see what is coming from my left before I get so far out it becomes unnecessary as all traffic has been forced to stop anyway!

I will have mine on a switch on the control panel, and have a separate monitor from the rear-view. Makes it easier to use when I want, not only turning.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Depends on what the cost is I guess. I consider them secondary to the mirrors. If the traffic is heavy I won't look at them. The mirrors are much better. The side cameras have a slight delay going from camera to camera so I prefer the mirrors. Looking from mirror to mirror is much better than mirror to monitor to mirror. The mirrors have no blind area if adjusted correctly.
I do wish I had the rear hi to low selection like the Monaco's rear camera.

Quote:
We are interested in hearing from folks who have side view cameras whether you use them and consider them worthwhile.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Flier View Post
Like Monacoach my coach came with the side cameras installed. However, after using them I would not order them as an option. The main objection I have is that when you turn on the turn signal you get the side view but lose the rear view. I can use mirrors for the side but have no backup for the rear view. Additionally, the side cameras are completely useless at night as the screen blossoms due to traffic headlights. Finally, just as with convex mirrors you have virtually no depth perception.
Agreed. I like the side view as a double-check for my mirrors. The side view is the last thing I glance at before I proceed with a lane change. My biggest complaint is that I need my rear camera to confirm that I have cleared a vehicle I am passing and I can't switch to rear view as long as a turn signal is on. Of course, I don't pass a whole lot and I'm pretty good with my mirrors, but I agree that depth perception on the side view isn't so great.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The side view cameras would be great, if they did not cut off the rear view camera. It's much easier to judge my distance past a vehilce I'm passing, or where my toad is relative to that big rock the campground felt necessary to place at the apex of a tight 90 degree corner, with the rear view camera. Another issue - for some it almost seems like a challenge to get by me before I can start my lane change, once I've activated my turn signal, and it's much easier to judge their closing speed in the rear view than in the side camera.

I understand that there are some high end coaches now offering a 'split screen'. That is, when you use your turn signal you don't lose the rear view, but gain an additional view down the side. If an option, I would not get the side view cameras without the option that retains the rear view.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

My prior motorhome did not have side view cameras and I was very comfortable with the mirrors. In fact when I ordered my current motorhome I did not select the side view cameras but when it arrived it had the cameras after all. I now would not be without them. When I change lanes I check the mirrors first and then the camera second. There is no possible way to have a blind spot with the camera! The camera also shows the second lane over as well so you can see if there might be a car that is about to change lanes into the lane you want to go into. I would definitely recommend side view cameras.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I would say I am like several other of the posters, that is I would not get them again. I would prefer to have the side cameras wired to a rocker type switch mounted in the steering wheel that would allow me to turn whichever side camera on when I want it on. I to judge my distance to pull back into another lane by what I see in the rear camera. We have a Ford chassis and my biggest complaint with the camera system is the monitor is dead center of the dash and is not angled toward the driver
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have them and love them. I haven't experienced the problems noted above except when a setting sun is shining directly into them. Yes I would order the option.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Mine came with them. Like others, unless cheap I would not buy them. Properly adjusted rear view mirrors and rear camera work just fine for me. One thing that i did hate is that the side view cameras interfere with the factory installed GPS. If you need to make a couple of quick turns, you won't be able
to see the second turn if you use your turn signals. The screen is consumed by the side camera associated with the turn signal.

Just my 2 cents,

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have never had them before and was always a little nervous changing lanes because I did have a blind spot on each side. Now with the side cameras I feel safer changing lanes. Not sure why people have a problem with loosing the rear camera while the turn signal is on. If you check rear clearances before signaling and you are clear what more do you need?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I dislike my side-view cameras because they cut out the rear camera view. I rely on the rear camera view to make sure the toad is clear before moving over after I've passed someone. The side view camera is useless for that purpose and the mirrors aren't very good either.

I also find it almost dangerous to scan the screen (near center of the dash), especially when moving left. I have to look away from the mirror to the camera.

I dislike losing the rear view camera so much that I usually signal for a few seconds, then turn off my turn signal to regain the rear camera before making my lane change.

On my to-do list is a project to install a switch on the wire from the turn signals to the camera switching unit so that I can disable the automatic switching function.

Some of the other posters mentioned other uses for the side-view cameras but I don't recommend them for lane change decisions unless you have some really, really lousy mirrors.

Bottom line - don't pay extra to add them.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The cameras are on my short list to do this winter, I do however plan on a second monitor and must admit I was not sure how to set it up for viewing until I read about activating it by turn signals here, but I'm still more inclined to have a way to have them on for viewing either side or both sides whenever I want to to view them not just when I'm making a lane change or turning.

I spend a lot of time checking to the rear as experience has taught me with a big long truck when I really need to move left or right in a super hurry it's already too late to check mirrors
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Sideview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
My prior motorhome did not have side view cameras and I was very comfortable with the mirrors. In fact when I ordered my current motorhome I did not select the side view cameras but when it arrived it had the cameras after all. I now would not be without them. When I change lanes I check the mirrors first and then the camera second. There is no possible way to have a blind spot with the camera! The camera also shows the second lane over as well so you can see if there might be a car that is about to change lanes into the lane you want to go into. I would definitely recommend side view cameras.
I can do all that with my mirrors and have my rear camera screen on. I say that because I haven't read a reply that makes the sideview better then a good set of properly adjusted side mirrors.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Not better than but an excellent combination.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I ordered my coach without them as I felt I wanted the rear monitor on all the time, and I religiously use the mirrors for side vision.

I don't miss having side cameras, though I have never owned a coach with them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Not better than but an excellent combination.
Agree 100%