Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Side Camera

anyone have this issue. on my side camera, after driving about 4 or 5 hours, it gets totally fogged up. no moisture in it at all and outside lens is clear. RV dealer told me that is normal for them sometime.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #2

I do not have a moisture for fogging problem with any of my cameras, side, back, nose, or interior. Check your camera owners manual and I doubt you will find any mention of fogging.
Sounds like defective part or installation.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Your side cameras have an outside glass cover and then the camera lens is inside that. Our camera would fog up on the camera lens but the outside glass cover was clear. We couldn't get to the camera lens to try and clean it so we ended up getting the camera replaced under warranty which solved the problem.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem on my 2008 Ellipse. Replaced camera to solve probelm.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had the same issue with both side cameras on our 35J and the shop fixed it under warranty by replacing the main unit (the LCD screen unit) and they said it wasn't the cameras. That was back in November and today was the first day we drove in warmer weather and after 3 hours on the road the left camera became blurry... so obviously not fixed. Back to the shop again in a week or so I guess.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
anyone have this issue. on my side camera, after driving about 4 or 5 hours, it gets totally fogged up. no moisture in it at all and outside lens is clear. RV dealer told me that is normal for them sometime.
Had same problem with right camera only...Found fog up depended on humidity and outside driving temp. Dry warm air...no internal camera lens condensation fog up...dry cool air no internal fog up..now..I just tolerate humid days..

If it's under warranty...it's not supposed to fog up...designed sealed camera unit..it does not take very much condensation moisture to show fog on camera when observered on main screen.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My right one also fogs (more like hazy) and replaced under warranty. But, the replacement now does the same thing. Sometimes perfect, sometimes hazy, no rhyme nor reason. The left one and rear never fog. The camera looks clear when you look at it. I gave up. It's usable.

Re: RV dealer told me that is normal for them sometime.Bull. Bet the salesman didn't say that when they sold it.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just had an inspiration. (But we're in Mexico on the beach in the 35J and the tequila might get in the way of my being inspired.)

Port side is always sharp; Starboard is sometimes fogged. I don't use the port side much anyway because it means turning away from the mirror to look at the screen whereas on the starboard I can glance at both the mirror and screen peripherally. Maybe I'll get inspired to switch the cameras...it's an easy thing. That would eliminate/confirm if its a defective camera. I'll need to get some caulk though. I'll report back...after a siesta...if I get inspired.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
I just had an inspiration. (But we're in Mexico on the beach in the 35J and the tequila might get in the way of my being inspired.)

Port side is always sharp; Starboard is sometimes fogged. I don't use the port side much anyway because it means turning away from the mirror to look at the screen whereas on the starboard I can glance at both the mirror and screen peripherally. Maybe I'll get inspired to switch the cameras...it's an easy thing. That would eliminate/confirm if its a defective camera. I'll need to get some caulk though. I'll report back...after a siesta...if I get inspired.
May Montezummmmma attack you suddenly...without warning... in the middle of the night!

Another idea...place a small dessicant cartridge...like found in some medication bottles to keep them internally dry...inside the camera housing...leave the camera in the housing..the catridge just might adsorb the intermittent slight internal condensation from high humidity periods..
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The 3 gram cartridge just might fit internally in the side camera case...now how to find a source for one or two instead of 720..

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm?...FR7yDAodFGShGQ
Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The following is a quote from Drierite Website:

"Adverse Effects of Moisture"
Water and water vapor probably cause more damage than any other contaminant, either by direct attack or by indirect means. Dampness can promote the growth of mildew or fungus. Water molecules on the surface of metals can cause rust, tarnish or corrosion. Water vapor in the atmosphere can promote chemical reactions which will corrode or destroy the material that comes in contact with the products of reaction. While the insides of a compartment or container and its contents may feel dry to the touch, a considerable amount of water may be adsorbed on the surface or in the pores of them. Changes in temperature can desorb the water and condense it into droplets causing water spots, localized corrosion or other deterioration. "

I have ordered 100 of the 6 gram dessicant bags ($7) from Drierite. they are the same size as the 3 gram bag. My test plan is to place a dessicant bag in the camera housing...reseal all with silicon caulk...to include the open casing ring outside between the exterior lens and the side case...and the camera primary wire entry holes in the side of the motorhome. Once remounted and sealed...I want to see if the dessicant bag will prevent intermittent accumulation of condensation moisture in the internal lens area..

More to follow..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #12

Quality Camera System

Bottom line - What does the warrantee say about moisture?
The majority of the cameras are made for non-moving stick buildings and indoor use, meaning little to no vibration or moisture.
I paid for a camera system that was designed for vehicle use Total Vision Products: Racing and Off-road vision systems and abuse. Pic's of my Outlaw and it's camera's and the system Total Vision Products: can be seen if you scroll to the bottom.
I have 5 cameras on the outside of my Rv, 2 front, 2 side, and one rear with no problems with moisture.

So, if you get wet after the 3rd use because you bought a cheap water hose that kinked and cracked "made in china?", you got the value of the money you spent.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Wow! Very impressive...The top of the line coaches that sell - install this system says it all...it works....no problems..
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Wow! Very impressive...The top of the line coaches that sell - install this system says it all...it works....no problems..
My Rv camera system was not offered or installed by the manufacturer or my dealer. I first saw the Total Vision Camera system at a FMCA Rally in March 2008 and was also impressed with the quality, versatility, options of cameras and field of view.
I justified the quality and cost if the system as a part of vehicle and personal safety. The cost of insurance deductible, actual body damage, higher insurance rates, personal property damage (other peoples property), personal injury (mine or strangers), RV time lost with RV being repaired, personal aggravation. As a bonus, my exterior cameras allows me to identify individuals/strangers knocking on my door and moving/lurking outside without having to open my door, allowing me to get my two friends Walther and Winchester.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Wink Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
My Rv camera system was not offered or installed by the manufacturer or my dealer. I first saw the Total Vision Camera system at a FMCA Rally in March 2008 and was also impressed with the quality, versatility, options of cameras and field of view.
I justified the quality and cost if the system as a part of vehicle and personal safety. The cost of insurance deductible, actual body damage, higher insurance rates, personal property damage (other peoples property), personal injury (mine or strangers), RV time lost with RV being repaired, personal aggravation. As a bonus, my exterior cameras allows me to identify individuals/strangers knocking on my door and moving/lurking outside without having to open my door, allowing me to get my two friends Walther and Winchester.
Living around Santa Cruz...I understand your justification for expanded exterior coverage. That system does the job.

I wish I had it last time I traveled I-40 and I-10 in CA and AZ. Several "visitors"...all needing gas money (Bail Outs) to go to East..

I had a friend called Smith & Wesson then, but now I travel with a new friend..Taurus.."The Judge"..."Night Court Edition". He can get really bad.... We look out through the windows together...at whoever is knocking.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
The 3 gram cartridge just might fit internally in the side camera case...now how to find a source for one or two instead of 720..

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm?...FR7yDAodFGShGQ

I received these from the factory. I placed one packet inside the right side camera housing ..right next to the camera. With GE Silicon Sealant II (clear), I resealed the wire cable hole going into the coach, the screw holes going into coach..the fringe-edges around the camera inside the mount capsule..the outer perimeter of the camera lense...the edges of the mount capsule as I resecured it to the MH, then the painted capsule housing. I resealed the screw mounting the colored housing to the camera capsule.

Pretty good South Dakota rain storm last night with high humidity. Camera is clear this morning...