Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shutting down interior electric

I have a question about my Forza 36G. We are storing our unit for the first time. The issue is that I want to keep the shore line plugged in but I can't seem to figure out how to get the inverted side to shut down. We shut down the chassis and house switched located near the entrance. I also shut off the switch in the inverter that disconnect the batteries from the inverter and the refrigerator light still comes on and the microwave is still on which tells me the shore power is bypassing some how. Does anyone know how I get the inverted side to shutdown?
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Tom View Post
I have a question about my Forza 36G. We are storing our unit for the first time. The issue is that I want to keep the shore line plugged in but I can't seem to figure out how to get the inverted side to shut down. We shut down the chassis and house switched located near the entrance. I also shut off the switch in the inverter that disconnect the batteries from the inverter and the refrigerator light still comes on and the microwave is still on which tells me the shore power is bypassing some how. Does anyone know how I get the inverted side to shutdown?
Forza Tom
Why do you want to keep the shore line plugged in if you want the 120V electric off?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Forza Tom
Why do you want to keep the shore line plugged in if you want the 120V electric off?
I want to keep the batteries charged without running everything inside the coach. I suppose I could throw the main breaker for the inverted side.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Forza Tom,
I'm not sure of this, but I don't think your batteries get charged with the switches by the door off.
Your inverter will not be inverting when shore power is present.
Your best approach would be have the switches by the door on. Plug into shore power and you're set.
Just check the water level in the batteries every couple of months.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My coach has 2 electric panels. The main panel has a 30 amp circuit breaker for power going to the inverter. The inverter panel (smaller) has a 30 amp breaker for power coming back from inverter which is the one I would shut down.

Otherwise turn all the other breakers off on that inverter panel.

If you only have one main panel, turn off all breakers except inverter (and main dual 50A). To test that inverter works you should be able to measure anything over 12.9 at the batteries (depending on State of Charge).
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Forza Tom, First as mention above your batteries will not charge if you enable the battery disconnect switches. Turn off the main breaker on the inverter panel to kill most o the the ac loads. Do not turn off the inverter because it is your battery charger.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The Converter charges the batteries not the inverter.
Converter makes 110 V to 12 v.
Inverter makes 12 V to 110 V.

Battery Disconn. switch has to be on to charge coach batteries.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

rvten, OP's coach has a combination inverter/charger and does not have a separate converter.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvten View Post
The Converter charges the batteries not the inverter.
Converter makes 110 V to 12 v.
Inverter makes 12 V to 110 V.
Battery Disconn. switch has to be on to charge coach batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
rvten, OP's coach has a combination inverter/charger and does not have a separate converter.
rvten grtharris

A converter will only charge batteries if it has built in charging circuitry.... (then it's a "converter/charger" not an ordinary "converter").
A converter, without the necessary charging circuitry, will provide 12VDC power but will not charge the batteries.

BTW, many RVs have a combination "inverter/converter/charger".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Shutting down interior electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
rvten grtharris

A converter will only charge batteries if it has built in charging circuitry.... (then it's a "converter/charger" not an ordinary "converter").
A converter, without the necessary charging circuitry, will provide 12VDC power but will not charge the batteries.

BTW, many RVs have a combination "inverter/converter/charger".

Mel
'96 Safari

Most all Converters today are combined 12vdc supply and charger. And yes you are correct the many Inverters also contain a battery charger.

In terms of the original question, the "Inverted side" as you call it is being supplied by your shore power if you are plugged in. Most Motorhome Inverter have a builtin transfer switch that switches the load side between shore power or inverter power.

You need to test if your batteries are being charged with the disconnects turned off. Usually this is not the case but every rig is different.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior