Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

shore power problem

I am currently camping at Fort Wilderness. I have been here for over a week and this morning I noticed that the lights are dim and the batteries are not charging. I'm plugged into 30 amp power however but the batteries are slowly draining and the coach thinks its plugged in because the microwave works and I can plug things into internal outlets. The batteries are six months old but I'm plugged in so that shouldn't matter. I've started the generator and plugged into it and I still have the same problem. If I start the chassis engine the lights get bright and the batteries begin to recharge. I think I have checked all of the breakers. The inverter appears to be working properly. Has anyone experienced this? I do not have a surge protector.
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do you have a separate converter? It sounds like the charger function isn't working.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't believe I have a separate converter.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 08 Winne came with a 600 watt inverter and a separate converter, that is why I asked.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It's possible that you had a surge that may have damaged your transfer switch. The coaches engine doesn't go thru the transfer switch and the alternator is supplying a charge to your batteries. Check the connections and voltage at the transfer switch. Also check the voltage at the power pedestal turn the breaker off and then on again. Check the power cable end and the pedestal receptacle.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
My 08 Winne came with a 600 watt inverter and a separate converter, that is why I asked.

Sorry. I believe the inverter and converter are separate on mine as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
It's possible that you had a surge that may have damaged your transfer switch. The coaches engine doesn't go thru the transfer switch and the alternator is supplying a charge to your batteries. Check the connections and voltage at the transfer switch. Also check the voltage at the power pedestal turn the breaker off and then on again. Check the power cable end and the pedestal receptacle.
I also fear that I may be the victim of a surge. It's cold here and everybody is running electric heaters and lots of Christmas decorations. I actually do not have a transfer switch. I have to manually unplug from shore power and plug into an outlet on the generator.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the other posters that it could be the converter. Make sure you have 120 volts to the converter and about 13.6 volts coming out. Also the converter should have a fuse, make sure that's good check for loose wires.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just wanted to thank the people who replied to my crisis. I dashed off to Camping World this morning and purchased a replacement converter/charger. Everything seems to be working properly again. The family is happy and we are off to the Magic Kingdom.