Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shore power cord

I need to know how long the 30A shore power cord is on a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T. We are taking delivery next month & I want to put in a 30 A electrical outlet on the side of my house where it will sit but I'm not sure how long a cord I can count on & where it plugs into the MH. My dealer doesn't have one in stock to check & I cannot find the answer in the online owner's manual. I hope someone who has one can answer it for me.

Thanks!
Cass
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Be sure you don't wire it with 220v like a house dryer. More then one person has done this mistake $$$$$.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Suggest you put in a 50 amp then you can be ready for the future in case you upgrade. The cost will be about the same
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I believe they a 30' from the transfer switch. Just check another Winnebago on the dealer lot, they are all the same length.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
I believe they a 30' from the transfer switch. Just check another Winnebago on the dealer lot, they are all the same length.
Where is the transfer switch located on the MH?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Suggest you put in a 50 amp then you can be ready for the future in case you upgrade. The cost will be about the same
I really don't understand the 50A/30A thing yet. This MH will be 30A & the online manual says not to plug in to a 50A supply.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall

I really don't understand the 50A/30A thing yet. This MH will be 30A & the online manual says not to plug in to a 50A supply.
Here is an excellent write up on RV electrical systems:

http://www.rvcruzer.com/electrical/tutorial.php
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I would expect the power cord would not be more than 30ft. Maybe even 25ft . In any case I suggest you wire the outlet as close as you can to the RV but no more than 20ft away if you want the cord to lay flat on the ground at each end. You can always get an RV extension cord up to about an additional 25 to 30 ft if required and you may indeed require this some time anyway. But the greater the distance the more voltage drop will be realized.

10ga would be adequate for up to 100ft from the panel. At 30A, the voltage drop would be about 3V at nominal temps. If the total distance is greater than 100 ft I would put 8Ga in but I would run that to a sub panel or switch box and then put 10ga to the plug. Trying to put 8Ga on a 30A outlet might be difficult and I just like to switch off the circuit while am connecting and disconnecting the outside plug for obvious safety reasons during wet conditions.

Hope I this info was helpful.

The suggestion to put a 50A cct for a 30A cord to plug into it is not a safe arrangement in my books unless the circuit was fused @30A at the pedestal or switch box where you plug in. Yes there will be a 30A breaker in the coach but that breaker is after the transfer switch. I like my 30A outlet to be fused @ 30A.

I ran 6ga wire in conduit to my outside pedistal and put a main switch and a breaker box with 50A, 30A and 20A ccts and appropriate plugs to match right at the pedistal. I don't use that circuit much because my RV is kept inside where I have like circuits wired and independent of the outside circuits so it is primarily there for guests.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Here is an excellent write up on RV electrical systems:

Electrical Tutorial
Thanks for that - it is a very good introduction but it doesn't answer my basic questions:

1. Can I assume that all RV parks that advertise 50A service will also have receptacles to plug my 30A shore power cord into to get 30A?

2. How long will my power cord be so I know where to locate the 30A receptacle on my house?

3. Where does the cord plug into on the MH (so I can measure distance cord will reach for locating receptacle on house)?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The only park I have been in that did not have 30A was a resort park in Key West. Every where else has either 30A or both 30A and 50A. They do make an adapter for 50A to 30A if you are concerned but I think it very unlikely you would ever use it.
Length has been discussed and I have no additional details.
As to location, normally the electrical bay is towards the rear of the coach on the drivers side. Usually the bay in front of or behind the rear tire.
Good Luck with your new coach,
David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Generally your cord ties into your transfer switch that is sometimes located on the drivers side behind your back wheel in one of your bays.

If your coach is 30 amp service I would not change that, I think that the other previous post suggest that you can also run a 50 amp service with the same wire from your house . Have a 30 amp plug and a 50 amp plug on your pole.

Just use the correct size wire from your house and adjust for voltage drop for distance.

I think that the coach plugs are 25 feet long unless it is homemade.

Hope this helps, James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
Thanks for that - it is a very good introduction but it doesn't answer my basic questions:

1. Can I assume that all RV parks that advertise 50A service will also have receptacles to plug my 30A shore power cord into to get 30A?

2. How long will my power cord be so I know where to locate the 30A receptacle on my house?

3. Where does the cord plug into on the MH (so I can measure distance cord will reach for locating receptacle on house)?
Actually, I think you did get your answers.

1) No, you can't assume ALL but you can assume NEARLY ALL. Only a call to a specific RV park would assure they have 30a service.

2) About 30 ft. total which means roughly 26 ft. since about 4 ft. remains inside the utility compartment. I suggest you call the manufacturer for confirmation.

3) The cord is normally hardwired (it's not a plug/receptacle) at the coach end .... it's like the cord on an iron or coffee pot. That hardwired connection is usually in one of the compartments furthest to the rear on the driver side. A call to the manufacturer or visit to the dealer will confirm that.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #13

I just Had my RV post/meter/Circut breakers, 30/50 Amp. Renistalled; The cost was Over $3000.00, The electrician That done the job was real honest when i asked him what caused the burning breakers/wires. His answer was The IDIOTS that plug in Electric Heaters, Look at the breaker and what ever it reads that is the load they can put on it. , He said any breaker rating has a duty cycle which is normaly .60%, 30 amp. = 18 amps. actual safe useable power.. His statement was They get a 30 amp. Then load it down with that misserable Breaker burning space heater. That keeps a study load on the system and it will burn things UP.. No electric heaters......
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have an extension cord for my 50 amp as the MH cord does not reach all the way into my garage, this is another option to the original poster - on my motor home the cord is about 30 ft and just reaches the front bumper.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post

1. You can't assume they will but it would be very unusual if they did not have both. Just carry a 30 amp female to 50 amp male "dog bone" adaptor and you will be prepared no matter what is available. Also carry a 30 amp female to a 15/20 amp male adaptor and you can also step down if that's all that is available.

2. Place a call to Winnebago customer service & they can tell you.
3. Same as #2.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of wiring up a pedestal for your motorhome then go ahead with a box having 50/30/15 amp outlets and you will be set. If you ever trade or have friends visit with other needs you will be ready.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

The power cord and transfer switch are located just behind the drivers side rear wheel.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have a 30T, and I will try to remember to measure the cord for you tomorrow. The bay is on the DR. side, just in front of the Gen compartment.(Last compartment). The elect.bay is about 4 ft from the end of the coach. The coach is 30ft, 11in. The transfer switch is on the elect. bay right wall looking into the bay, and the cord connects there. As stated before, be sure you get an RV type recepticle for your home power box. I sugesst you wire the box for 30amp and a breaker in the box so you can plug into a dead outlet if desired.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
It is unlikely you would ever need 50A unless you have someone living in it
the summer. But if the cost isn't prohibitive, go for it

And FOR SURE make certain the licensed electrician knows it is 110VAC.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:

I used this RV Post Power Box off Ebay. Ran #6 wire and mounted it where it is about the middle of the RV so I can park it either way and still reach the outlet.
RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I used the same cutler hammer box. Ran 6ga wire to it. Works great.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power