Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Situation......
Got to RV part at about 2:00pm, set up including plugging into 50A power. EMS reflected I had 50A incoming. Installed surge protector in line, completed setup. Turned on A/C, basement, within minutes had very cold air flowing (56 degrees).
Went to dinner, returned, turned off A/C at about 8:30pm.
Next morning about 10:30am wife turned on A/C, all seamed normal, but noted it not blowing cold air, checked all breakers, etc. Went to pedistal, checked surge potector readout and it said the connection had "reversed polarity". At that time I was unaware of its meaning because all systems were working OK, except A/C. Checked EMS and it stated I was only receiving 30Amps from park power now. When I tryed the A/C again, the EMS showed 17amps but still no "cold" air so I shut it off till we got home. Also, I don't know if it is means anything but my ice maker didn't work either. I have had no problems up to this point.
Got home the next day, turned on generator, within seconds, had very cold A/C air. All working fine.

Comments, suggestions, etc.
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Reversed polarity is when the hot side of the power source is connected to the neutral side of the destination. The impact of this is your circuit breakers are now connected to the neutral side and not providing any protection.

Isn't your surge protector supposed to prevent reversed polarity from appearing on its output (by opening up its contactor)?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Isn't your surge protector supposed to prevent reversed polarity from appearing on its output (by opening up its contactor)?
Sounds like that's exactly what it did! One leg of the 50A circuit opened up, killing the A/C. However, that in itself sounds strange unless there was a simultaneous problem with the EMS. Reverse polarity can do wierd stuff, though - especially when the hot leg starts being in the wrong place on what is effectively a 4-wire 240v circuit.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Norm - wouldn't you think the Surge Guard interrupts hot-neutral-neutral-hot? If it only opened up one side, that wouldn't be much protection. Weird stuff - you're right

Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK.... Let's re-group.

After further investigations, here is what I found.

As noted before, last night after returning from camping AC worked as normal on generator. Received about 56 degrees at the vents after 4-5 minutes. But tonight, on generator, it took about 8-9 minutes to start to get cold, but it did.
Tonight, plugged into 30amp at home, checked with same surge guard, Smart Surge by Progressive Ind., indicator lights showed system OK. But did notice the indicator lights could have given false reading at the park because of the angle of the SG being held and amount of light (sun) hitting it. At one angle it looked like all 4 indicator lights were on until I held it square and then it showed only 2 lights actually on meaning system normal. Could have happened at the park. Also, if the reading at the park was true the tech. from Progressive Ind. said the unit was miss marked and should have told me it was an "Open Neutral" instead of what I thought I saw, "Reversed Polority".

Anyway, I plugged into 30amp, then turned on the AC and watched the amperage reading on the EMS. First it showed 8 amp and nothing was on. Seems high for just parasitic loads. Anyway, with the AC on, auto fan, low speed, had good volume of air coming from vents BUT after 10 minutes, no cold air, best it would get was 74 degrees. The amp gage showed 8 amps, then jumped to 17-18 amps, then about a minute later it jumped to 23-24 amps. Then about 2-3 minutes later it jumped to 30-31 amps then back to 23 amps then to 11 amps, and still blowing good air but not cold. Secured system.

And here we are.

Any thoughts on the problem or is this for the the big guys at the dealer?

Again thanks to those who have commented and thanks to those who, hopefully, will add their thought.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The AMP draw will change as each A/C compressor kicks on/off. Usually 16 first comp. than 22 for second.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

8 amps on first hookup is certainly not unusual. The charger will draw that easily, just getting an equalization determination - then calm down if the batteries are up. High fan and both compressors should draw 27-29 Amps.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It sounds like your compressors are trying to start, but can't for some reason. My guess is start capacitors or the circuit board.