Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shore Power

Hooked up to a 30amp service - I could not find any 120 voltage in the coach. Am I doing something wrong? Did I not turn the correct switch - scratching my head trying to figure this one out.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On my 2015 Thor Palazzo everything lights up inside after plugging in without flipping any switch in the coach. However, I have forgotten to flip the breaker on outside at the pedestal
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Hooked up to a 30amp service - I could not find any 120 voltage in the coach. Am I doing something wrong? Did I not turn the correct switch - scratching my head trying to figure this one out.
Did you test the receptacle you plugged into?
Do you have a surge guard that may have a time delay?
Do you have 120v using the generator?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
srh
Winnebago Camper

The 30 amp IS 120 v. I don't believe there is a switch in the coach for what you are looking for. If you want to connect the 30 amp plug into a 20 amp/120 all you have to do is get an adapter plug from 30 amp to 20 amp. You should be able to find that in a hardware store, Lowes, Menards...
I hope this helps!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Are you testing the outlets for the correct voltage or can you not work 120 v electrical equipment
Old 02-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

first task ... figure out whether the problem is inside or outside of your coach.

A) Unplug from the pedestal ... start the genset ... do you have power inside the coach at outlets YES: [problem outside] NO [problem inside]

INSIDE: check GFI ... did you push them in all the way

OUTSIDE: make sure the pedestal circuit breaker for 30 amp is on.
check the tabs on your plug ... they may need to be cleaned with steel wool or the roughest cloth you can find in your rig
use your voltmeter to check the viablility of the pedestal outlet ... (if you don't have a meter, ask the campground staff)

There is one more possibility ... your ATS (automatic transfer switch) ... but you probably can't check that yourself ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
first task ... figure out whether the problem is inside or outside of your coach.

A) Unplug from the pedestal ... start the genset ... do you have power inside the coach at outlets YES: [problem outside] NO [problem inside]

INSIDE: check GFI ... did you push them in all the way

OUTSIDE: make sure the pedestal circuit breaker for 30 amp is on.
check the tabs on your plug ... they may need to be cleaned with steel wool or the roughest cloth you can find in your rig
use your voltmeter to check the viablility of the pedestal outlet ... (if you don't have a meter, ask the campground staff)

There is one more possibility ... your ATS (automatic transfer switch) ... but you probably can't check that yourself ...
Nice start... Very logical IMHO.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the advice. I did step down from 50 - 30-20(120) house outlet. Not all of the outlets are GFI and my 30 amp dogbone has a light built in to show that it is working. The coach is at the dealer now and hopefully the problem was me and not the coach.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a "sister" rig ... I have two GFIs (both in the bathroom area) one on the driver's side of the coach and one on the passenger side ... BUT ALL of the outlets are DOWNSTREAM from those two GFIs

I am quite sure that your coach has similar circuits
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Test 1: Look at the circuit breaker in the pedistal.. On or OFF. if it's off read no farther.

Test 2: you will need some test gear for this, a 15 amp to 30 amp PUCK type adapter (You can use a dogbone type but the puck type is easier) and a plug in volt meter adn 3-lampe tester or ...... A Progressive Industries PT-30C surge protector (Replaces all the above).

NOTE< PT-30c is recommended, but the other stuff is less expensive
NOTE: a Kill-a-watt is about 1,000 worth of meters in a $20.00 box (That is it costs you less than 20 bucks on sale).

Plug in and measure voltage, 120 volts good, 0.00 notifiy management (After double checking the idiot breaker).

Plug in 3 lamp tester (Advantage Kill-a-watt pass through outlet so you can plug in both at once) Two green and no red lights, (NOTE: color of lamps depends on make and model somewhat, But RED is usually the one you do not wish to see) GOOD,, RED light, notify management.

(The pattern will be on the label, Some I have are two amber some green, all the ones Ive had the red light is the bad one).

OK, next step.. Involves a test lamp or volt meter (I like test lamps) and tracing the power INSIDE the RV. But let's save that for round 2.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Update - Coach is back from dealer and shore power worked fine at the dealer. It did not work at my house however. So after some exploring I figured out that the house outlet was reversed wired (polarity) must have happened when we had new siding installed. I corrected the outlet problem and all is good!!!!! Thanks for all of the helpful tips from everyone.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Pays to have an outlet tester.
Or some brand of surge protection. Tells you of a hook up problem.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power