Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sensor Location

Anyone know where the sensor is located for the leveling jacks on an Adventurer with HHW levelers. When I use a level disk in the refrigerator, it is different than the jacks. Thought maybe it needed cleaning or whatever. Do you depend on the jacks for leveling? Do you re-level after putting the slides out?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The one in our 2001 Adventurer was in the top of the storage cabinet just behind the main entry door. It was about 4" square and shielded by a black metal shroud. There were access holes in the shroud to reach the adjustment screws
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Don't know about your levelers but on ours the automatic leveling system can be adjusted via the dash control but I always use the manual mode. I installed a two way level on the console that I use.....pretty easy that way.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

late model HWH systems have the sensor in the brain box next to the pump. Just follow the hoses. Recalibration is covered in the manual.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The HWH control box is under the hood on my '04 31Y. To the right of he pump and solenoids. There is an adjustment procedure that moves the small printed circuit board that the level sensor is on.

I have unsuccessfully played with mine. The front/rear lights work OK, but the right/left has NEVER worked. Dealer repaired it like three times under warranty, NEVER worked. I've used a 4' level on the floor and found that the front/rear lights have a very wide range of what they indicate as level anyway.

Bottom line? I just level it by feel.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Tderonne, looks like we have similar coaches. I found it, but haven't tried to make an adjustment, after reading the responses. It's not that big a deal. They aren't off very much, but I thought I would tweak them a bit. They are probably within tolerance. Sometimes things are better off left alone.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The HWH control box is under the hood on my '04 31Y. To the right of he pump and solenoids. There is an adjustment procedure that moves the small printed circuit board that the level sensor is on.

I have unsuccessfully played with mine. The front/rear lights work OK, but the right/left has NEVER worked. Dealer repaired it like three times under warranty, NEVER worked. I've used a 4' level on the floor and found that the front/rear lights have a very wide range of what they indicate as level anyway.

Bottom line? I just level it by feel.
According to our owners manual the level sensor is set using the refrigerator as the reference. The reference point is the ledge inside the freezer compartment.

Both our motorhomes came with a small bullseye level. The first few times we leveled our each coach level I placed the level on the reference point in the fridge. In all cases it was perfectly level. However if I moved the level to a counter top, the floor or any other supposedly square and level surface it wouldn't read the same. Even moving it from 1 place on the counter to another a foot away it would read differently.

The system on our new coach has a digital readout on the dash. Once you start the leveling process (either manually or in the automatic mode) the readout displays the out of level condition to the nearest 1/10 of a degree. It makes the manual leveling process extremely easy.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My owners manual states to put the bubble level in the bottom of the refrigerator on the ledge, rather than the freezer. And, this I do, which is where I get a slight difference from the jacks. I wonder if one could add the display unit you are referring to?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
My owners manual states to put the bubble level in the bottom of the refrigerator on the ledge, rather than the freezer. And, this I do, which is where I get a slight difference from the jacks. I wonder if one could add the display unit you are referring to?
I should have qualified my statement about having the display on our new motorhome. Our new motorhome uses a Lippert leveling system. The digital readout is a built in part of the control panel.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs, I have the same coach as you do,2013 model H. I have had problem with my jacks and leveling since I purchased it. This week the dealer told me that if the coach is not hooked to power over a period of time the brain will lose the ability to level properly and will need to be reprogramed. Have you any knowledge of this?
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I should have qualified my statement about having the display on our new motorhome. Our new motorhome uses a Lippert leveling system. The digital readout is a built in part of the control panel.
I am looking at buying a new 2013 32H this week. Any issues with your slides or hydraulic jacks? it is the last 2013 they have and the msrp is 159 and they are offering it for 115+tax and license. Does that sound decent?
thanks,
ttimm in CA
ttimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimm View Post
I am looking at buying a new 2013 32H this week. Any issues with your slides or hydraulic jacks? it is the last 2013 they have and the msrp is 159 and they are offering it for 115+tax and license. Does that sound decent?
thanks,
ttimm in CA
Ours was delivered April 26th and we already have over 10,000 miles on the odometer. We did have a problem with the full wall slide going out of adjustment at about 5,000 miles when we were in Alaska. It still worked fine but when stored the top front was tight against the body and the lower front was about 3/4" farther out.

We haven't had any problems with the leveling system.

It's currently at Forest City to get the slide adjusted and a few other minor items taken care of.

We were able to get 26% off the list on our motorhome, but it was ordered rather than bought off the lot. A friend of ours just ordered a 2014 Aspect and the best he could do was a little over 24% off list. It sounds the price they've given you is in the ball park at about 28% off the list.

Keep in mind that when a dealer orders one for stock they generally do what's known as "floor Planning". It's a system where the dealer finances the wholesale price of the vehicle and makes monthly interest payments only. When the vehicle is sold the principal is paid off. So if the dealer has had the vehicle on the lot for 6 months they've paid 6 interest payments to the bank.

At the end of a model year they generally are willing to discount a vehicle enough to make sure it moves. The last thing they want is to be paying interest on a loan for last years models.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Lippert leveling system.

Thanks for the quick response. My local repair shop says they have had lots of issues with the Lippert leveling motors. Are you having the same issue you had in Alaska?
My local RV Dealer here in CA has shows almost every month at about 3 different locations. I don't know how many times this 32H was at their shows or how big of negative that is. I did go to the big Pomona Fairgrounds show which runs for 10 days each year and every coach had both ACs on high with door and windows open for at least 12 hrs daily. Plus having tons of people in and out testing everything makes me nervous about this left over 2013.
Any words of wisdom?
thanks again...
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I use a regular bubble level in the freezer section of the fridge. I level side to side, then front to back and recheck. I check again after the slides are out and once each day if the coach isn't on concrete. I have found like others that most things in the MH aren't as level as the freezer section.

Scott
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimm View Post
Thanks for the quick response. My local repair shop says they have had lots of issues with the Lippert leveling motors. Are you having the same issue you had in Alaska?
My local RV Dealer here in CA has shows almost every month at about 3 different locations. I don't know how many times this 32H was at their shows or how big of negative that is. I did go to the big Pomona Fairgrounds show which runs for 10 days each year and every coach had both ACs on high with door and windows open for at least 12 hrs daily. Plus having tons of people in and out testing everything makes me nervous about this left over 2013.
Any words of wisdom?
thanks again...
The problem with the wall slide is a continuation of what happened in Alaska. I talked to the service people at Winnebago earlier this week and they told me the slides need to be adjusted almost perfectly before they leave the factory to avoid problems.
This is a relatively new system for Winnebago and with the high demand for motorhomes this year they are hiring a lot of new people. The combination of new systems and new employees means there's probably going to be some production problems. In general I like the new system. It's just going to take some time for the factory to work out the bugs.

As for the coach you're looking at I would say it's down to personal preference and comfort. We spent over 2 months on the road in our new coach learning the systems as we went. I don't believe there's much that could be damaged by people doing a walk through at the shows. All the systems seem to be designed and built well enough that a few people poking fingers at the touch pads won't damage anything. If the slides have gone through 6 months of extension and retraction at the shows it's hard to believe they're going to go out of adjustment with normal use.

We expected some issues with a new motorhome and so far have been pleased with the performance, and the fact that the issues have been what I would consider minor. Had it been a 3 year old coach with the same problems I would have fixed them all myself. The only reason we took it to Forest City was the fact that it was still under warranty. By the next time it needs some service work I would expect it to be long out of warranty so I'll address any problems myself.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

We gave up on the refrigerator leveling method. After the jacks are down and the system is satisfied, we check the bathroom door and laundry doors. If they are stable we are as level as we want to be. If not we tweak the jacks a bit with the manual controls. We have found that the system lights still indicate level after the tweak.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The problem with the wall slide is a continuation of what happened in Alaska. I talked to the service people at Winnebago earlier this week and they told me the slides need to be adjusted almost perfectly before they leave the factory to avoid problems.
This is a relatively new system for Winnebago and with the high demand for motorhomes this year they are hiring a lot of new people. The combination of new systems and new employees means there's probably going to be some production problems. In general I like the new system. It's just going to take some time for the factory to work out the bugs.

As for the coach you're looking at I would say it's down to personal preference and comfort. We spent over 2 months on the road in our new coach learning the systems as we went. I don't believe there's much that could be damaged by people doing a walk through at the shows. All the systems seem to be designed and built well enough that a few people poking fingers at the touch pads won't damage anything. If the slides have gone through 6 months of extension and retraction at the shows it's hard to believe they're going to go out of adjustment with normal use.

We expected some issues with a new motorhome and so far have been pleased with the performance, and the fact that the issues have been what I would consider minor. Had it been a 3 year old coach with the same problems I would have fixed them all myself. The only reason we took it to Forest City was the fact that it was still under warranty. By the next time it needs some service work I would expect it to be long out of warranty so I'll address any problems myself.
Thanks again for your insight. I get to test drive and inspect the 32H tomorrow.
This will be my first RV in 25 years. Things have changed a bit!
Anything in particular that I should look for or check during my inspection?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Nothing special to look for. Make sure they go through operating all the systems and teach you how to operate every one them. The thermostat/control pad for heating and cooling takes a little getting used to. Also the camera/radio on the dash and all the entertainment systems aren't exactly what I would call intuitive.

Be sure you also get both manuals. There's now a generic one for things that come standard on all Adventurers and a second much larger supplemental one that is written specifically for the options installed on your coach.

Keep in mind the manuals are written by people who already know how to operate all the systems. They tend to gloss over procedures that have been standard in the industry for a few years. All the information is in the manuals but it's not a casual read. You have to read and absorb each instruction before moving on to the next. If you make a mistake on procedure 1 all the following instructions are pointless.

I think you'll be happy the way the thing runs and drives. The new 362 hp engine moves the vehicle right along. It winds a lot tighter than the old ones in that the top rpm is computer controlled at 5200 rpm. The transmission is now a 5 speed with the tow/haul mode. It's nice especially towing in hilly country.

Be sure to pick your routes carefully. The new Adventurer is 12' 8" tall. Our old one was only 11' 3" so we have to avoid a few more trees and low bridges than we did in the past.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

ttimm, One other thing to look for is the vinyl wood looking material that is used to wrap all cabinet facias. Many of the facials have been blistering or delaminating. Winnebago changed over to a new material and have had problems with it. They are aware of the problem and are replacing the entire facia to correct it. They had a back log for the repair but presently are caught up and dealing with the repair quickly.
len poleshaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat