Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Had the same thing with low oil level switch. Needed only about a cup of oil to keep it from happening.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Curious, what inverter do you have in your rig?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I think all the posts suggesting low oil level are ignoring the OP's original post that said,

"A/C and generator will quit almost immediately when running on generator while moving down the road.
1. A/C will run forever on generator while sitting still.
2. A/C will run forever when plugged into 120v
3. generator will run forever sitting still or moving down the road.

doesn't seem to matter if the road is rough or smooth both systems will quit when moving. Which starts the problem, generator or A/C?"

These symptoms seem to eliminate low oil shut down. They also eliminate bad A/C unit. The only thing left would be a loose wire or some other intermittent problem. The OP doesn't want to "i'm not into working with dots and dashes to determine the problem" He's willing to pay an "rv repair facility" to resolve it.

Overfilling oil isn't wise, loosening gas cap isn't indicated, and I'm puzzled as to what type an inverter he has has to do with this problem. I hope the OP reports back on the solution of this issue, it's an interesting one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think all the posts suggesting low oil level are ignoring the OP's original post that said,

3. generator will run forever sitting still or moving down the road.
I definitely missed that, when I suggested a low oil sender issue.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

BFlinn181, As an old RCA Tech, I know better that wandering off on a solution before fully comprehending ALL information. Thanks for the catch. Now I can go back to considering what motion has to do with the problem(s) as stated.
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Loose grd at frame ?
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Okay,
1. The gen will run in motion so long as the air is off.
2. The gen and air will run, so long as the unit is stationary.
3. The gen AND air will NOT run when the moho is in motion.

This leads me to conclude that if motion is the issue, and the gen will run in motion without the air, then the air is the culprit. Why? What could create an issue with the air that would shut down the Gen-set?
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

One of the things I'd like answered is the statement, "A/C and generator will quit almost immediately when running on generator while moving down the road."

A very high amperage draw might stall a generator, but why wouldn't it when stationary? Almost is the key word here, are we talking when the A/C kicks on (highest amp draw) or in a few seconds or minutes?

As I said, a very intriguing problem. I just dislike when folks jump on with what worked for them when their (select system) failed and ignore characteristics of the problem. Often they advise the 'definitive' solution that likely has nothing to do with the stated issue and even recommend buying parts or service that have nothing to do with the problem in the presented case. I always try to suggest the simple, cheap solution before suggesting swapping parts or getting service.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

The reason I asked about what brand of inverter is that there is a fairly well known problem with Xantrax RS2000 inverters and Onan gensets. If you try to run the Onan and the MH engine [alternator] at the same time, the Xantrax [or Onan] will sense two separate 12v charge sources and will shut the Onan down. There is no acknowledgment from either Onan or Xantrex about the issue so a solution is not forthcoming. Soooo, the work around is to immediately disable the charger function on the Xantrax inverter as soon as you start the Onan. In this case the A/C is incidental to the equation in that the only time you are trying to run both the MH engine [alternator] and the Onan is when you are driving and want to run the roof-top air. If you don't have a Xantrax RS2000--never mind....[smile]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Old Scout,wouldn't the fact that the OP says the generator runs while on the road with the A/C off, eliminate that being the issue? How would an inverter/charger be influenced by the A/C at all?

Bob & Donna
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Wasted time without knowing the error code .

Tags
scr