Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 winnebago journey DL. I would like to run two sat lines to a dvr sat reciever. I will be using a ground based antenna. My system has a specific antenna which negates using the antenna on the roof. Has anyone done this and what do you suppose would be the best area to enter the coach and then the routing.
notslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I use a Tripod mounted dish on Direct TV. Two feeds from the dish run in to a Sonora Stacker and then in to the house wiring. At the DVR I have a sonora De-Stacker where the signal is once again turned back in to two feeds for the DVR. It's not the cheapest route but it does work very well with our have to rewire or run an other coax up front.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same coach. I ran two coax cables down the left window post under the dash. Then I drilled two holes in the firewall and put in coax connectors. I can now open the hood, connect external cables to the firewall connectors, and put the antenna wherever I want.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by notslo:
My system has a specific antenna which negates using the antenna on the roof.
I don't understand this comment. There *are* roof-mounted antennas, made by both Winegard and Motosat, that have multiple-LNBs and are "skewable."
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. CYKO I think I will go your route. Did you have any problem passing the area where the dash is. What part of the firewall did you come thru. My starchoice system needs a 75cm dish to pick up in the south. The only roof top available is very expensive. I suppose if you knew what to do piece together might work.
notslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by notslo:
My starchoice system needs a 75cm dish to pick up in the south.
Well, that does put a different spin on the matter. There was nothing in your post that indicated you are in Canada. I have no idea what is available, if anything, in the way of roof-mounted satellite TV dishes for Star Choice.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
I helped | retired moderator

MotoSAT has a Star Choice roof top dish for $2K.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I use a ground-mount dish. I installed a coax plug on the side of the coach in front of the drivers front wheel and ran the coax through the front space through the firewall.
If I used a roof-top antenna, we would be without TV quite a bit because of tree interference. I have had to locate the dish at the end of my 120' combined lead a couple of times to get a signal.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just drilled two holes in the sheet metal firewall above and to the left of the brake pedal. I put in two cables to accomodate two receivers.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi all, In are last trip into Canada we found that are sat. feed was impaired by a lower elevation seting and the trees and mountains etc. The dish in our roof mounted system was having some problems and I used may ground unit many times. The size of the antenna in the roof dome is smallar than the 18" dish or larger that you can deploy on the ground which give you a bigger foot print for reception. I also carry 150 feet of 6.0 coax so I can find a clear spot to see sat 101 for my direct tv.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

To answer the first question, my rig had one cable for an external ant., which was damaged in production (did not work on delivery). I found a soft spot in the passenger side widow post and dash board assembly (calking material), which to run my sat lead thru.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote