Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have an '08 Outlook 31C. It came with the manual satellite dish on the roof. I have Directv at home, and an extra box I would like to use.

I was planning to activate the box as an extra to my existing system.

My question is, how do you hook the box into the system in the RV? You would think there would be an input of the coax to go into the switch system in the cabinet that serves the TV, etc. It is not obvious if it is there... Do I have to remove the switch box, as maybe the input is on the back of the box. Is there a secret to easily doing this?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an '08 Outlook 31C. It came with the manual satellite dish on the roof. I have Directv at home, and an extra box I would like to use.

I was planning to activate the box as an extra to my existing system.

My question is, how do you hook the box into the system in the RV? You would think there would be an input of the coax to go into the switch system in the cabinet that serves the TV, etc. It is not obvious if it is there... Do I have to remove the switch box, as maybe the input is on the back of the box. Is there a secret to easily doing this?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Look around your entertainment center, up front in a cabinet below the dish, there should be a connection that says something like "satelite in" "to TV" mount your receiver in this location. It should be connected to your switchbox.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The output of the satellite receiver goes into the switch. There should be a cable there, connect it to "TV Out". There should also be a cable coming from the satellite dish that goes to the satellite receiver "Satellite In" Set all the entertainment center devices to Ch 3 or 4, then when you switch between devices (VCR and Satellite Receiver) you don't have to change channels.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dan - you're looking for a small rectangular metal plate with 2 coax connectors mounted on it. One goes to the dish and the other is connected to the switch box. All you have to do is cable your sat rx to that plate. And, of course, find the plate... On mine it's above the top shelf in the compartment to the left of the tv and mounted in the forward wall of the cabinet. I can only see it by standing in the driver's seat. I bet yours is in a similarly convenient location...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dan,
Not all Winnies are created equal. Call them at 800-444-3311, they will give you info specific to your coach.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I found it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! You have to stand on something and crawl about 1/2 way into the cabinet with a flashlight to find the jacks!

It may be a while (week or more) before I can check it out. I had to order a new access card for DirecTv. And then, I don't know if it will work here at home...

The dish on my house is substantially larger than the one on the Winnebago. It is an Alaska thing!

Vacation time is coming up though!

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Is it a Winnegard dish? If so, chances are it's only a single LNB and you will only be able to get the 110 Satellite OR the 119, but not both. I recent bought a KVH so I could have all my cable channels as well as the local channels. Good luck!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

DirecTV only needs 101, so don't worry about only having 1 LNB.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You have to stand on something and crawl about 1/2 way into the cabinet with a flashlight to find the jacks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan, you will find it convenient to permanatly "stub out" a couple of cables
(appropriatly labeled) and a short 120V cord from the "on board"connections, so you can hook up without all the gymnastics..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Dan, you may already know this, but when you hook up your DirecTv receiver, don't be surprised if you aren't able to receive local channels once you get about 100 miles from home.

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure out why I couldn't get channels under 100 before I learned that they "spot broadcast" local channels... including the four major networks! You can apply for DNS approval (for a fee) but they may well want you to take out an entirely new subscription for the coach. Their "rule" is that one cannot leagally use a "second receiver" from home to install in the coach.

For the time being, we have decided to live with getting only "cable channels" from the dish and relying on cable or OTA for networks.

Good Luck

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I get my DirecTV on 101, 110 and 119 one of these is for local when I am near my home. The other two tune automatically when my TracVision KVH is turned on
Old 09-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I now have the box activated, and it works in my house. I put it in the MH, but have not been able to get a signal. I park on a pretty good angle in my drive, but I was thinking I had the dish pointed generally in the same direction as the one on my house.

I wonder if the physical size of the dish on the MH will allow me to get enough of a signal to work here (Ketchikan). My house dish is about 40inches, and the one on the MH is about 12-15, big difference in size.

Should I keep trying or wait until I am on vacation and south (which is the real reason for having it)?

Also, is the satellite finder that Wineguard makes (sold at Radio Shack) something that would be helpful to me???

Thanks!

Dan
Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Dan sometimes the wiring in the motorhome is not good for direct tv. I would go to a parking lot with a clear view...also just to let you know if you travel in the rv and want to watch monday night football on direct tv you will not get the local game outside of your local area....you might have to dish out for the sunday ticket and superfan..
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Did you go thru the set up procedure in the MH. This is found by using the menu and settings, enter zip code for elevation and direction, set the pointer to north to get correct direction. Tricky at first but you will get the hang of it.
Do you have an elevation meter?
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The box will not recognize the zip or the lat/long. I did copy down the figures from the home system, and I will try them. I do have the elevation meter on the roof.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Did you try to push the reset button inside where the card is located.

Will reset the box, worth a try
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

In perusing the Direct-TV site I noticed that they will activate East Coast/West Coast signals for you if you submit the proper paper work for your use of the receiver in your RV. (In my home locaton here in PA they won't make such chanels available). I haven't done it yet, but as I recall they want a copy of the bill of sale. I've had very good luck with reception using the built in elevation readout and a plane old hiking compass for initial settings. The elevation as indicated by the setup zip code input has always been close enough to get an initial signal and the azimuth only needs fine tuning about 3 degrees at a time with in plus or minus 10 degrees of my wet compass wag.

Good luck. And, has anyone used the Direct-TV for RV reception I refered to?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> And, has anyone used the Direct-TV for RV reception I refered to?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thousands of us.

HERE is a link to the DirecTV page for the RV declaration.

A copy of your RV registration is required.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

ktnhog - if you're able to get the satellite at all in AK, you will have to be very accurate in aiming your dish. When we were on the WA coast last summer, I noticed at was at least ten times harder to lock in on the satellite there versus when I'm home in FL.

Paul - yes, DNS is very popular with RVers. My DW really likes it when there's 2 things she wants to watch at the same time. Just watch one on the east coast station and the other 3 hours later on the west coast feed. Yea, we know about VCRs and DVRs, but she enjoys "beating the system".
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote