Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Satellite cable replacement help

I need to replace the cable from the coach cabinet on the drivers side to the crank up dish. I guess I hit a tree branch or something and the old cable - which had uv rot - broke apart. Before I dig into removing all the sealer on the roof, I'd like to get some feedback of those who have replaced this cable when rewiring or putting in a new dish. It is possible to pull this cable? what is involved with the routing. What needs to be removed on the inside? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Someone will be along with specifics for you coach, but generally the cable will drop down into the cabinet under the antenna and run forward to the tv. Motorhome cabinet bottoms are hollow. They run the tv cables and electric thru them as they are installed at the factory. You will need to access those hollow spaces to run new coax. Be sure and use rg6 cable. You may have to open more than one cabinet to trace the old cable especially if there are any bends in the run. The work can be daunting but you can do it. The inside cabinet bottoms are likely stapled (no glue). just pry up a corner and take a look. When done replace staples with small screws. At some point you may be able to tape new cable to the old cable and pull thru. I did mine front to rear. Took a while. I installed some extra elect outlets while the cabinets were open. Took a couple of days...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I presume the dish is front center over tv cabinet as my worthless atuomatic was? All we removed inside when it was replaced was the TV. It's been many years, but I recall no problems pulling the old coax out. I think it came through to the left of center inside? In your case, I would try hooking or taping new to old and see how that works.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Assuming a new cable can be installed I'd suggest something like 5 Pcs High Frequency RG6 Barrel Connector Coaxial Cable Joiner Dish DirecTV USA | eBay
instead of tape, to pull the new cable through.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There is a CHANCE that you have a connector at or near roof level.

But a lot depends on where the dish is, If the dish is directly or very nearly directly above the cabinet (Many are) it may be a straight shot.

One thing I will say, Get the best RG-6 you can get, don't skimp on this and make sure its sunlight rated. Many motor homes come "pre-Wired" with the lowest bidder.. And that stuff is... .... ... Lowest bidder.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dish location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I presume the dish is front center over tv cabinet as my worthless atuomatic was? All we removed inside when it was replaced was the TV. It's been many years, but I recall no problems pulling the old coax out. I think it came through to the left of center inside? In your case, I would try hooking or taping new to old and see how that works.

On the 2002 Horizon, the dish is well back from the front of the coach - I would say like 4 feet back. It is about 2 feet behind the front cap. The cable penetration is right in front of the dish mount. This is the 18" round manual crank up Windguard dish (btw, I actually like the manual crank up dish - you can find the sat fast with an analog meter inline on the cable in the cabinet. I was thinking of trying a splice to save time if I can find some good cable under the sealer up top. The exposed part of the cable from the roof to the dish is all uv rotted. The sat cable connect on this one is not where the TV is, instead there is a small panel in the drivers side cabinet in the back where the sat cable comes in, and the tv out (out from the sat box) goes to the TV switching panel. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Assuming a new cable can be installed I'd suggest something like 5 Pcs High Frequency RG6 Barrel Connector Coaxial Cable Joiner Dish DirecTV USA | eBay
instead of tape, to pull the new cable through.
Agree.....I have a cable joiner (union - )
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a CHANCE that you have a connector at or near roof level.

But a lot depends on where the dish is, If the dish is directly or very nearly directly above the cabinet (Many are) it may be a straight shot.

One thing I will say, Get the best RG-6 you can get, don't skimp on this and make sure its sunlight rated. Many motor homes come "pre-Wired" with the lowest bidder.. And that stuff is... .... ... Lowest bidder.
Agree...I will look for "outdoor" rated RG6 segment. I think a 10 foot section would be plenty. My sat is behind the front cap, so not directly over the TV.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you can, try to use the present cable as a pull. securely connect at which ever end of the old cable that is easiest to get to. After the new cable in in place, use a cable stripper/cutter to trim the ends, and then install new F connectors that are compression fitted. The tool is cheep and you will use it again somewhere. The F connector is the key to a good and reliable connection.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Still hoping someone with a 2000-2004 Horizon or similar model posts something based on experience.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Still hoping someone with a 2000-2004 Horizon or similar model posts something based on experience.
There is no simple fix for your problem since the issue is rotted cable up top. Regardless of model/make of rv, you will have to run new cable. So you know where it comes down (driver side cabinet). Carefully cut around the rotten cable up top and work it loose. Sounds like the cable run is very short so perhaps no bends to bind when pulling new cable. In lots of coaches that is not the case. Can you remove the tv switch panel and find the in cable and get free play back to where it leaves the small driver side cabinet. If so put a string on it and pull it out. Cant see why replacing the cable is such a problem....guess I'm no help, either...but you have to take things apart before you can put them back together.

>>>The sat cable connect on this one is not where the TV is, instead there is a small panel in the drivers side cabinet in the back where the sat cable comes in, and the tv out (out from the sat box) goes to the TV switching panel. Thanks. <<<
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
I replaced the crank up dish with a Wineguard Trav'ler on my 2001 Journey 36DL. You will need to remove your TV. The Journey's cable comes in near the top front of the TV cabnet and goes around the back of the TV to the back rear of the drivers side cabnet. I was able to pull the old cable out with two new RG6 cables and the control wires for the Trav'ler dish connected to the old sat cable. I used a barrel connector to one of the RG6 cables, Then staggered the other wires rapped with electrical tape and slowly pulled the cables from the inside of the MH. Be sure to take your time. It may take a couple of tries to get the cables through. If your only pulling one cable you shouldn't have any problems. Besure you use electrical tape around your connection and go out five or six inches on both sides. The electrical tape smoothes out the connection so it doesn't get hung up on anything as you pull the cables. You can pull the cable from the outside in or the inside out. The direction is up to you. As other posters said use only good quality connectors. Hope this helps.

Randy, 2001 Journey 36DL
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

A couple of ways to pull new cable
cut off the threaded connector, cut back the insulation, leaving a few inches of the center copper wire, form it into a loop, tie a drag string to it, flatten the loop, tape it up, and pull the old cable out from the other end, dragging the string. now you have a pull string.
figure out the easiest end to pull the new coax back through, and pull a new coax through.
I prefer to attach the new coax to the old coax, and drag it through at the same time I pull the old one out. Make sure you use electrical tape after connecting the the old, and new coax cable,
Taping the cable eliminates edges that might hang, or bind up, and also helps keep the attachments from slipping out mid pull.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

OK....Thanks!!! Your model is very close to my model so this helps greatly. The TV looks like a pain in the butt to get out. Did your slide out from the front? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replogle View Post
I replaced the crank up dish with a Wineguard Trav'ler on my 2001 Journey 36DL. You will need to remove your TV. The Journey's cable comes in near the top front of the TV cabnet and goes around the back of the TV to the back rear of the drivers side cabnet. I was able to pull the old cable out with two new RG6 cables and the control wires for the Trav'ler dish connected to the old sat cable. I used a barrel connector to one of the RG6 cables, Then staggered the other wires rapped with electrical tape and slowly pulled the cables from the inside of the MH. Be sure to take your time. It may take a couple of tries to get the cables through. If your only pulling one cable you shouldn't have any problems. Besure you use electrical tape around your connection and go out five or six inches on both sides. The electrical tape smoothes out the connection so it doesn't get hung up on anything as you pull the cables. You can pull the cable from the outside in or the inside out. The direction is up to you. As other posters said use only good quality connectors. Hope this helps.

Randy, 2001 Journey 36DL
Old 02-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Are you sure that there aren't 2 RG6 cables up there?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Since you are pulling cable, you might want to upgrade

It is my understanding that the newer Dish network systems require 2 feeds from the dish or a splitter. They also require RG6 cable rated for 3000 Mhz instead of the older 2000 Mhz stuff. DISH TV for RVs | rvSeniorMoments
So since you have to make a hole in the roof and pull cable you might as well do it for a future need. But if you are sure this isn't a need for you, then still get the best single cable you can. The outside cable and connector goes through some harsh conditions, so you might consider weather-proof type F connectors, and/or UV resistant waterproof boots to cover the connector at the antenna. Don't be tempted to use RTV to seal the connectors, it cures with acetic acid and will corrode your wiring sooner or later. There are special lubes that you put a very thin coating on electrical connections, they keep the moisture (and corrosion) away. Dow 44, Molycoat, and No-Ox ID A "Special" are some of them.
The other advice about using tape to make a smooth transition is spot on for your wire pull.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Sorry I didn't see this sooner... Like Randy, I replaced my crankup with a Winegard SK3005. I also pulled 2 RG-6 cables and the control cable with the old one. It's really not a very long pull since they go into the roof ahead of the antenna and come out inside in the TV area.

As for getting the old TV out.. Open the 2 cabinets that are beside the TV. You should find a couple of screws going from those cabinets into the side of the wooden TV surround. Remove those and all the screws securing the "tub" under the TV. With the screws out, the tub and surround will come out as one unit. After that it's all grunt work.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I should add - when you take off the tub and surround, the TV is still solidly mounted, so don't worry about it coming out prematurely. The rest of the removal is pretty obvious when you get to that point...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I haven't read all of the other post but I have been considering your problem for the past day or so. Unless you are in very dry weather, don't start the repair until you have something like NuFlex 311 self leveling joint sealant on hand.

Where the coax goes into the roof, scrape the sealant off the cover to gain access to the screws. Remove the cover after the screws are out. A flexible putty knife is a good tool for this. Under the plate you may find a connector attaching the bad cable to the service cable. In any case, there is usually spare cable in the roof. If no connector is there you can cut off the bad section and install a connector. Use a barrel connector to connect the replacement cable to the new connector. Put the cover back in place and seal as originally found. All should be well again.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

A great source of the best cable is from a Direct or Dish installer that you see running around town. When I chased one down he gave me cable and also gave me a new LNB that had dual output. I ran two cables and now have two feeds into my DVR. The LNB was a direct fit with the Winegard dish. Note above to be sure and use the correct calk is very good advice.

Tags
replace, replacement, satellite