Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with satelite internet.

My wife and I are heading for Alaska for 2 months and cell phone coverage and broadband is bad at best. I'm self employed and depend on keeping in touch minimum by internet.

I located what seems to be a good system called mobile datastorm. The problem is up front cost. They charge $5295.00 for installation, including all the hardware. Monthly fee is $79.00 unlimited usage. The system is stationary.

I would really only NEED it for 2 months, after that it would be something nice to have but not needed. In the lower 48 I get by with my verizon card and hotspots.

I'd like to hear you're opinion on it before making my decision. Has any of the winnebago family had any experience or know of others who have, good or bad. I have to work very hard to clear $5295.00

Thanks
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with satelite internet.

My wife and I are heading for Alaska for 2 months and cell phone coverage and broadband is bad at best. I'm self employed and depend on keeping in touch minimum by internet.

I located what seems to be a good system called mobile datastorm. The problem is up front cost. They charge $5295.00 for installation, including all the hardware. Monthly fee is $79.00 unlimited usage. The system is stationary.

I would really only NEED it for 2 months, after that it would be something nice to have but not needed. In the lower 48 I get by with my verizon card and hotspots.

I'd like to hear you're opinion on it before making my decision. Has any of the winnebago family had any experience or know of others who have, good or bad. I have to work very hard to clear $5295.00

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

The place to find all your answers is Datastormusers.com

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

At our stick house we use WildBlue (http://www.wildblue.com/). I don't know what would be involved with an RV installation. The speed is reasonable (about the same as a slow DSL). I don't remember exactly what the installation cost was, but it was about $200. Packages range from about $50 a month up, depending on speed etc.

It's not as fast as the DSL we had at our last house in the city, but is our only option other than dial-up which I couldn't stand. I do some web design so I need some type of broadband.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
I helped | retired moderator

Wildblue is spot beamed, and is not usable for mobile applications.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I know that some folks use a portable satellite setup for internet. Hopefully jimandsue60 will respond, as I know they use it while they are full timing. Jim tells me he can set it up in short time. I have to assume since it's a portable setup, the cost is significantly lower than what you quoted.

May be your ticket if you only need it for 2 months or so. If Jim doesn't respond, I suggest you PM him with your question.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Tom,

I purchased a mobile tripod system last Jan & it fits the bill for us. It uses Hughes Net for service. My home plan is %59.99 a month.

It may be worth while to investigate a used mobile system. I second checking out the Datastorm Users Forum. Lots of info & experience there. One drawback in going with a tripod system is that it is difficult to change which satellite you are on. It wouldn't do you any good to be on a sat you can't receive in AK.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the replies.

The $5295.00 is for a on the roof static automatic dish one time fee installation with all the needed hardware and software to connect various computers simultaneously. I talked with the owner and he's a real straight forward type of guy. No sales pressure or nothing. I just haven't decided if it's for me or not before I spend that type of money.

Route 66 and Dancing Campers that's awesome that you can be located to within a few feet. I just followed a datastorm link into Alaska and sent an e-mail to someone near Fairbanks asking about road conditions. Thanks for the link. Do you know Bill Adams the owner of Internet anywhere? I'm going to meet him in Oregon on the way up to Alaska. I have to decide what to do before I leave.

Route 66, how critical is not having any obstruction overhead?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Bill Adams is one of the many independent dealer/installers in the U.S.
While he does many installs himself,he does rely on a system of "contract installers" to do some of the installs he can't get to by time and distance...
He's an iRV2 member....maybe send him a PM?

Tripods are the "better" of the satellite internet world, automatic rooftop dishes would be the "best" scenario....

I "third" the suggestion to check out Datastormusers.com
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum. We are users of the Datastorm system. We purchased it about 2 years ago and generally have good service. The comments made about a tripod system are valid. That is a much less expensive way to go - around $1500, but does usually take a little longer to set up. Bill Adams is one of the good installers out there. There are several others depending on where you are at the time. A couple of them specialize in the tripod setup rather than the rooftop automatic units. Do check the datastormusers.com site as most of the installers are there and there are many users and much good information. John Canfield is a person that comes to mind. He is a Winnebago owner and also a datastorm user. He has recently been north, so hopefully he will see your post and reply. Good luck in your travels.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage 40K
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We have a portable satellite system, but are comissioned to a satellite that did not have coverage in most of Canada and Alaska. If you purchase a system you can be assigned to a satellite that will give you coverage thruought your trip.

If you need only minimum internet connections every few days you will not have any problems finding wifi or some paid internet connections along the way. We went to Alaska last summer and had no problems finding a connection every few days.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Tom.

There are a couple of things I would recommend. If you are going to be using the dish in Alaska, I would definitely get a 2 watt BUC as you will be pushing through a good deal of atmosphere and you will be toward the outside of the footprint. A 2 watt BUC will give you the extra "oomph" to punch through.

Also, you asked about overhead obstructions. They definitely can be a problem. Especially in Alaska where your look angle is going to be very low. You might have seen some dishes that look like the signal is coming from underground. When you get that far north, you will need to be extra cautious about trees, buildings, etc.

For additional information, check out Datastormusers.com as others have suggested.

Jamie Billingsley
Satellite Internet Solutions.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #13

Tom,
You need to determine your "needs" for internet service. The MotoSAT Datastorm (with the standard 1-watt BUC) will give you excellent service in AK on the 127W satellite and far superior service in the lower 48 to your aircard (except for a few big cities).
Yes, the Datastorm is expensive but it is a fully automatic 2-way satellite internet system that will give you 24/7 service anytime your RV is parked. While the Datastorm (or a tripod system) will not provide service while you are driving it will give exceptional service during your stationary periods.
If you are only going to be moving every few weeks or months then a tripod system is more likely a better choice. They both provide the same level of service. The Datastorm is all about convenience and the ability to access the internet at whim. If you want internet where ever and whenever (no good under a tree) then the Datastorm is a good choice. If you can get by with internet most of the time then you could choose a tripod. If you can get by with an internet connection whenever one is available I would stick with the wi-fi/aircard. This service will be found in many locations in AK as well for about the same pricing as the lower 48. Your cell phone will also work at no additional charge in most/many AK cities as they are US cities, too.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Nice post Bill....as I sit here in Gillette,WY without air card service I am able to post with my F2 iDirect setup...

"Needs" are certainly different for each and every one of us....Co-owning a website and semi-retired from a family business I "need" the guarantee of a connection.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks you all for the feedback. It really helps to make balanced decisions when you have so many points of view.

Thank you Bill for being so candid. I actually talked with you on the phone last week. I was the guy going to Alaska from Ca. and passing thru you're neck of the woods. We talked about you being available 1st week of August.

Based on horror stories on another website I had deduced cell phone coverage and internet service was almost non existent except in the larger cities. I am glad to hear that is not the case. As long as I can log on almost every day I'll be fine. I just have to research what campsites and other options are available so I can plan ahead.

I really think the Datastorm is a great system for people who have to be connected all the time and are on the move. Just park, touch a button and you're set to go. It doesn't get any better then that.

Based on my needs (Usually I answer 5 to 10 e-mails a day max, the rest is just surfing)I think I'll just plan ahead and log on as I go along. We plan to take 7-8 weeks on our trip and our really looking forward to it. Planning this trip has all the excitement of an adventure. I guess I got carried away and kind of visualized myself parked on some remote expanse of white snow with no communication with the outside world for days at a time. 59 and still looking for the last frontier.

Anyway thanks to you all.
Tom
Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

If your Canada/Alaska need is only for a couple of months, I wouldn't personally bother with Datastorm or a tripod setup. We were in Alaska all last summer and enjoyed our Internet access via our Datastorm dish almost everywhere.

You can stop in any Canadian library on the way to Tok, Alaska and use their free Internet access. Many campgrounds in Alaska offer WiFi, but usually not for free.

When we are at our ranch for the winter, I move the modem from the coach to the house so I maximize the value received for Datastorm.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John. I think the only way it would make sense is to rent a tripod and dish for 2 months and I doubt you can sign up for service just 2 months.

Even though this would be a great new "Toy" I can't justify the cost. If I could I would definitely go with Bill.

On a side note my wife is eying a washer/dryer to put in the vanity cubbyhole. I think some one on the site already installed one. I hope it isn't too complicated

Tom
Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee: (snip) I guess I got carried away and kind of visualized myself parked on some remote expanse of white snow with no communication with the outside world for days at a time. (snip) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gee, I sit here reading your description and thinking that doesn't sound too bad...

John: Easier pic load now?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote