Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
JDG
Winnebago Camper

Sat. Dish Information

I want to switch my old tube TV to a flat screen HD tv. Will I need to upgrade my roof top dish? I have a 2001 Itasca with factory dish.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Nope, it will work just fine. In addition, you will now be able to receive off-the-air programming from the batwing antenna on the roof which you could not with the tube TV.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
YC1
Winnebago Owner

You will not get HD off that dish but it will work fine.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

YC1, getting HD depends on which satellite antenna, which service and what receiver he has. In 2001 the Winnebago factory installed satellite antenna was a crank up with a single LNB. With that antenna and a Dish Network HD receiver he can get HD. DirecTV will only get SD with that antenna.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

No change in antenna needed, Be it dish or batwing it will work the same.

NOTE: "Dish" type antennas (Satellite antennas) are matched to the Sat Receiver.. For example a dish (Dish-500) designed for an older DISH non HD receiver will not pick up HD (Dish 1000.x needed for that) though you can re-adjust and get some SD and some HD with a Dish-500 antenna

and a DirecTV dish will not pick up DirecHDTV. No re-adjustment here need a new dish.

But in neither case does changing the TV make any difference here. Only the Satellite receiver.

For over the air.. No antenna change is needed but upgrades are possible.

I do the TV change out next week if all goes as planned.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If your goal is to have HD TV in the coach then if it were me I'd switch out the roof dish to a Winnegard Travel antenna. One of the big advantage to the Traveler is that it's comparable to the antenna at you house, and will be a lot less prone to signal black out due to rain/snow etc.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
YC1, getting HD depends on which satellite antenna, which service and what receiver he has. In 2001 the Winnebago factory installed satellite antenna was a crank up with a single LNB. With that antenna and a Dish Network HD receiver he can get HD. DirecTV will only get SD with that antenna.

I went brain dead. I forget that some folks have Dish and not Direct. I also recommend the Travler if a system change out is wanted. Easy to install and works great.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our "dome" satellite antenna works fine on the (first of two) new HD TV on Directv. No it is not HD but the picture is way better than the old tube. You need to subscribe to HD with your provider of course to get it and will need to upgrade the dish to get true HD.

At some point we may just go with a ground mounted dish for HD for the 4 or so months we are planted at one CG then use the MH roof antenna and not get HD for the rest of our travels but still get TV.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You won't be able to get any programming if you use a HD reciever from Direct TV. The round factory installed dish from Winnebago will only work with an SD reciever.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjeff View Post
You won't be able to get any programming if you use a HD reciever from Direct TV. The round factory installed dish from Winnebago will only work with an SD reciever.
Some will, some won't. Looks like the newer "SWM only" compatible ones will not. This may help Can I use my old round dish with an HD receiver? | DIRECTV Technical Forums
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I see a lot of posts about having HD on the TV...In my humble opinion, HD is almost like having "Stereo" a few years back. Who needs it? It's just something new that's out there, it costs more money and you still see and hear the same basic thing. Hang in there, pretty soon it will become standard equipment on anything you buy.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I see a lot of posts about having HD on the TV...In my humble opinion, HD is almost like having "Stereo" a few years back. Who needs it? It's just something new that's out there, it costs more money and you still see and hear the same basic thing. Hang in there, pretty soon it will become standard equipment on anything you buy.
Not necessarily so. We have a flat screen TV at home but don't have the HD dish yet. We're waiting for decent weather to get it installed. While most stations broadcast in HD the current non HD dish doesn't transfer the information to the TV. The picture doesn't cover the entire screen and in some cases the edges are cut off. It's difficult to see sports scores when they are posted in the upper corners of the screen. More often than not the score boxes are either truncated or reduced in size to the point they can't be read.

In our case we can't go back to the old analog system. The original analog box is obsolete and no longer supported. We had to turn in the old access card to get an HD compatible box. The new box only has HDMI connections that won't fit the old TV. We actually have a poorer picture with an HD box and HD capable TV than we did with the old (now non functional) analog setup. Hopefully we'll get an HD dish installed in the next few weeks and the problem will be resolved.

Tags
dish