Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Consumer Group

I just traded my RV for a 2015 Meridian 36m and when I looked it up in the RV consumer group review and read some concerning things. It says the wheel base ratio is 51% and there fore "could be fatiguing for most people because the vehicle could wander when trucks are passing or on uneven roads." This is the second worse rating a coach can get. It also states that is "could be dangerous in collision or rollover and may be prone to fire" That sounds rather ominous.

Those of you that have Meridians or Journeys what say you on these ratings?
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I just traded my RV for a 2015 Meridian 36m and when I looked it up in the RV consumer group review and read some concerning things. It says the wheel base ratio is 51% and there fore "could be fatiguing for most people because the vehicle could wander when trucks are passing or on uneven roads." This is the second worse rating a coach can get. It also states that is "could be dangerous in collision or rollover and may be prone to fire" That sounds rather ominous.

we're currently looking at a 2015 Winny 38Q and the book you reference says the same thing. the operative word in the review is "could". i suspect that the RV consumer group isn't doing a lot of actual test driving but is basing their rating on math. i asked a similar question of 38Q owners and was told that their experience was just the opposite of the rating. as far as rollovers and fire...i would think that just about any RV could fit that description.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The RV Consumer Group does not conduct any testing. Therefore, their opinions are frequently nothing more than wild guesses. They can be useful as a collection of basic published specs for older RVs, where that information is otherwise difficult to find.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Some RV's are constructed better than others - no doubt. I would suggest that the Winnebago will fare as well as most other coaches in the same category.

As a RV owner I am more concerned and aware of items like; a properly loaded (not overloaded) coach, quality correctly inflated tires, mechanically fit unit and safe, knowledgable driving habits before I worry about crash ratings.

Just my opinion though.

And as far as wandering with wind gusts and passing vehicles; It is true a shorter coach can have a tendency to "tail-wag" more than a 45' tag axle unit - but keep in mind all of that goes back to loading and safe driving. Most cars and pick-up trucks move when tractor-trailers pass or the wind is gusting too.

Adam
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do you think the lowered Maxum chassis improves performance and makes up for a shorter wheelbase?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Early on in our research after buying our first and current RV (see signature below), I too read about that particular wheelbase-to-length ratio and did the measuring and calculation to discover a 51%.

We have since improved our handling with upgrades and replacements of suspension items. We have learned to better balance our load, and watch our tire pressure. Plus we try to pick our days to travel based on wind strength and direction.

Sure, we still get pushed by semis and we still lean a little in side winds, but not so much now. Also, we're getting more comfortable with our traveling home. I figure if the much older couple that had it 12 years before us had not had a major handling problem with their poorly maintained suspension and questionable tires, then we're rollin' on smooth highways. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What items will improve the suspension? I would be interested in up grades.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

26,000 Miles driven on all kinds of roads and a 36 M does not need anything to improve handling

Just this week and a long time RV glass guy who changed my windshield commented on the fact that Winnebago was built better than most. My windshield is mounted in steel as opposed to fiberglass in many others.

I took the factory tour last spring after owning one for 5 years and was very impressed with the quality of the build
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Do you think the lowered Maxum chassis improves performance and makes up for a shorter wheelbase?
For Sure!

3 Coaches ago my wife and I had a tidy little 2008 Newmar Ventana 33'. Even when all the stars were aligned and with ComfortDrive onboard - it was a handful and fatiguing in a big crosswind.
When we switched to a 42' Tag axle coach I thought it was like riding on rails!

The Newmar was an awesome coach - but its just par for the course with shorter rear engined units......

Then we purchased the Journey 34B - it was such a pleasant surprise when we test drove it. Quiet, stable, no-hobble horsing....

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the lowered rail design in my opinion.

Adam
Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

First of all, let me say that my DW spotted our 2000 Itasca RV in a parking lot with a for sale sign, called the number and met the grandson of the owners for a quick tour. After walking through the immaculate interior, and not seeing any exterior damage (it sure looked clean), she did a handshake deal and bought it. She then called me to let me know to go pick it up and figure out how to pay for it (maybe she thought DW meant "Don't Worry."

The rock-n-roll began on the trip home. When I was able to get things checked out, here's what we did about the handling (I won't bore you with the other even more expensive must haves):

Replaced the 10-year old tires (showing good tread - hah!), all of which had cracked sidewalls. I was lucky the first place I went after getting home with it was to the mechanic. We put on Sailun 225/70R19.5 tires. They sure feel better; not as harsh as the Goodyears on it.

I personally replaced the all the polyurethane bushings and shackles on the 1-5/8" front and rear sway bars. In the front, there was only one shackle and bushing, and it was stretched and about to break loose! The entire bar was "floating: in front of the axle!!!! In the rear, both bushings were showing signs of cracking.

I then personally added a Timbren Suspension Enhancement System above each rear axle. Those replaced the bump pads that actually crumbled as I removed them. The new system really stopped the rear teetering and wagging.

I checked out and balanced air in front airbags; basically, there was none.

I checked out and aligned and tightened the Steer Safe kit on the front; it was not attached perpendicular to the axle.

I have weighed the RV (empty) and found it to be overall slightly over its rated GVWR, and with more weight room available in the front. I'm sure the DW will compensate for that.

I will probably swap out the shocks later.

And that's all, folks.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
First of all, let me say that my DW spotted our 2000 Itasca RV in a parking lot with a for sale sign, called the number and met the grandson of the owners for a quick tour. After walking through the immaculate interior, and not seeing any exterior damage (it sure looked clean), she did a handshake deal and bought it. She then called me to let me know to go pick it up and figure out how to pay for it (maybe she thought DW meant "Don't Worry."

The rock-n-roll began on the trip home. When I was able to get things checked out, here's what we did about the handling (I won't bore you with the other even more expensive must haves):

Replaced the 10-year old tires (showing good tread - hah!), all of which had cracked sidewalls. I was lucky the first place I went after getting home with it was to the mechanic. We put on Sailun 225/70R19.5 tires. They sure feel better; not as harsh as the Goodyears on it.

I personally replaced the all the polyurethane bushings and shackles on the 1-5/8" front and rear sway bars. In the front, there was only one shackle and bushing, and it was stretched and about to break loose! The entire bar was "floating: in front of the axle!!!! In the rear, both bushings were showing signs of cracking.

I then personally added a Timbren Suspension Enhancement System above each rear axle. Those replaced the bump pads that actually crumbled as I removed them. The new system really stopped the rear teetering and wagging.

I checked out and balanced air in front airbags; basically, there was none.

I checked out and aligned and tightened the Steer Safe kit on the front; it was not attached perpendicular to the axle.

I have weighed the RV (empty) and found it to be overall slightly over its rated GVWR, and with more weight room available in the front. I'm sure the DW will compensate for that.

I will probably swap out the shocks later.

And that's all, folks.
Like comparing apples and oranges
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I have trouble with some of these consumer groups. We don't always know the agenda of the author. I think you would be better off restating your question to the '14 owners of this model.

Where this report came up with "fire" is problematic in it's self.

For stability in wind or uneven roads all three of my Freightliner chassis coaches have had a pulling and wind issue. On this coach I added the Blue Ox TruCenter. Fantastic improvement. Much less fatigued at the end of a days travel.

I would be more concerned with QC issues. Be certain to give your new rig a complete physical before you take possession of it. The find a place near by and camp for a week. Even test it in the dry camp mode for a day or two. Pack up each morning as if going on a trip and then set back up. If you are going to find a problem find it before you hit the road. I know some folks who did their shakedown on their first trip out. Was a very bad idea for them.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
...I have weighed the RV (empty) and found it to be overall slightly over its rated GVWR...
the empty weight is slightly more than the GVWR? how are you going to add anything to the RV? did you get separate axle weights?

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You are over 20,500 empty? That makes no sense. Is your black tank full and hard? I have herd of this happening when a rig is parked full and left for years. Do all of the suspension add-ons weigh a bunch? Will the new tires carry the load correctly?

You sound very handy and knowledgeable so I am certain you have considered all of these things. How are you going to compensate?

Rick Y
Old 04-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

To rk911 and all others, I must apologize. I was confused about what I was trying to say - way confused. So, I went back and reviewed my paperwork that I keep with my manuals and receipts. I discovered in fact, everything I said was almost a polar opposite of the facts. Please disregard that one paragraph/comment only; all the other comments in that posting #11 are true and correct.

Here is the corrected information: Our RV has a GVWR is 18,000 lbs; our GAWR ratings are Front 6,000 and Rear 12,000. Our empty scaled weights were 5,480 and 10,760 respectively, for a total GVWR of 16,240. From that perspective one can see that we do indeed have room for water, food, clothing, and comfort after we get on board with our dog and cat.

Again, thanks, rk911, for calling to my attention the obviously (to everyone else but me) incorrect and dumbfounding statement I made. What bothers me is I must have read through it four or five times before I sent it.

Happy trails to all.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ooops. I did it again! "total GVWR of 16,240" should read "total scaled weight of 16,240".
Old 04-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Rick Y, thanks for the compliment; it's probably undeserved in this instance. Please read the corrections following my initial head scratcher, I trust it will make a little more sense.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ooops. I did it again! "total GVWR of 16,240" should read "total scaled weight of 16,240".
no worries...easy mistake to make. GVW also works.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To rk911 and all others, I must apologize. I was confused about what I was trying to say - way confused. So, I went back and reviewed my paperwork that I keep with my manuals and receipts. I discovered in fact, everything I said was almost a polar opposite of the facts. Please disregard that one paragraph/comment only; all the other comments in that posting #11 are true and correct.

Here is the corrected information: Our RV has a GVWR is 18,000 lbs; our GAWR ratings are Front 6,000 and Rear 12,000. Our empty scaled weights were 5,480 and 10,760 respectively, for a total GVWR of 16,240. From that perspective one can see that we do indeed have room for water, food, clothing, and comfort after we get on board with our dog and cat.

Again, thanks, rk911, for calling to my attention the obviously (to everyone else but me) incorrect and dumbfounding statement I made. What bothers me is I must have read through it four or five times before I sent it.

Happy trails to all.
gas will weigh roughly 6-lbs/per gallon, fresh water at 8-lbs/per gal, figure lp at 4-lbs/per gal. most of that weight will likely be on your rear axle. do the math for your 'wet weight'. as an example let's say you have a 75-gal gas tank, a 50-gal fresh water tank and a 20-lb LP tank. you would add 450-lbs of gas, 400-lbs of water and 80-lbs of LP. your rear axle weight has just gone from 10,760 to 11,690. your 'payload' is now 310-lbs on the rear axle and 520-lbs on the front. not much room for other stuff but this was just an example. and remember this is assuming those tanks are towards the rear of the MH. and that's assuming your MH really was empty...as in nothing, nada, zilch, zero when it was weighed...including you. but it's easy enough to know your wet weight...simply fill the gas, fresh water and LP tanks and weigh it again...separate axle weights of course.

good luck.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:

One of those moments? No problem. Common practice at 6AM for me.

Now, you have 1800# to play with. 115# for propane and 554.5# for a full water tank + heater. Call it 670# for that. You are now working with 1130#. That is still a fair amount of weight. Now, the weight of passengers needs to be added in. And the rest is stuff. For vacationing you can do it. As, in my case, full-timing? won't happen.

PS: Got my calculations from here: http://winnebagoind.com/resources/br...ruiser-bro.pdf

I hope you folks will enjoy your rig. When living to simplify life this rig will encourage you to do just that.

Happy trails.

Rick Y