Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Critters,
I "get" exactly what you are trying to do.
I have a 30' motor home. It shipped with a single rooftop AC. Here in the long, hot summers of Texas, that one 15K btu unit is not sufficient. The previous owner mounted another 13.5K btu unit in the living area roof vent. They ran the power to that unit down through the AC ductwork and (somehow) then ran the romex into the wet/power bay and into a single breaker box with a 20 amp breaker. From the single-breaker box they fastened a quality 20 amp extension cord. The extension cord stays coiled up in the wet/power bay. When I need to run the extra AC unit, I uncoil it and plug it into the 20 amp outlet on the power pole. I also connect my 30 amp cord to the pedestal.

I think that making a similar setup for a single 20 amp outlet should be much easier.
Just look in your power bay and see if you have a pathway into the coach somewhere. I bet you do. Find some good Romex (14/3) or better and run it up into a receptacle box mounted in a nondescript location (such as in a cabinet). I would recommend using a covered type receptacle box with a GFCI outlet. The Romex cable is mounted into a single breaker box, and the bus bars are connected to a good quality heavy duty 20 amp extension cord. I do not recommend that you bond the neutral and ground busses in the breaker box. I would recommend bonding your ground to the chassis though.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I have run two space heaters regularly in my 30 Amp Adventurer 35U for years and have no issues along with no second extension cord. The worst heaters were ceramic since they ran almost constantly with few having a way to limit how many watts they consumed while the cheapest heater fans or wall hangable portable space heaters that had nickle wire heating elements in them work the best since most will allow you to run them at a 400 or 600 watt setting. The most dangerous are the parabolic heaters with their mirrored dish and bright cherry pepper red hot elements.

I would try an inexpensive heater fan running at its lowest wattage first and then decide if you really need to run a second feed to use the sometimes available 20 amp convenience outlet that some campgrounds have on their power poles. Note that at too many campgrounds this 20 amp breaker is not on a separate feed and draws off the 30 amp line so you can still get power drops and breakers tripping outside instead of inside your trailer.

As for running a second wire then follow the power into your trailer and use that same route if possible.

Hopefully this is not your situation :