Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the responses.

I have always tried to get the engine up to temp but was always concerned with the exhaust condensation.
I also never started the engine when it was very cold either because of oil flow, even with synthetic.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

A lot of good advice on this forum, as usual. The question of idling an engine is a good debate.

I am a believer of letting the coach 'sleep' during the winter months if it cannot be driven to come up to normal operating temperatures, including engine, transmission, exhaust system, etc.

It's always advisable to be able to run the coach and drive it to exercise all the systems, including suspension, tires, and more, bringing it up to normal operating temperatures. This means driving it for about 20+ minutes.

Petro had some sage advise which I subscribe to: Never drive the coach in an environment you might get salt on it without being able to thoroughly clean the undercarriage, as you WILL get rust. Once it starts, it's ugly.

I look for days where it's warmed up above freezing, followed by rain to wash all the road salt off. Then, maybe I'll take the coach for a run. Otherwise, it will sleep for the winter.

In the case of the OP who wants to exercise the engine, generator, charge the batteries, without moving the coach, use your best judgment. Everything is a tradeoff. Keeping the batteries charged is a good thing. Driving the coach and exercising everything is better (but NO SALT PLEASE).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_and_dog View Post
Running the engine up to temp and holding it there for 20 to 30 minutes won't hurt it. As said above lub oils are much better today than 10 yrs ago. Running at temp will help remove moisture from engine and block, lub bearings, shafts etc. Moving the vehicle around block to relub transmission and seals also a good idea. I do mine on a monthly basis when it sets for more than 4 weeks which isn't too often. I typically will drive a few miles so steering and upper gears also get work out.
jk
Running the engine up to temp and holding it there for 20 to 30 minutes won't hurt it but it will not do it any good either.
IMO, the only way to really warm/exercise it is to is to drive the coach 15-20 miles or more.

BTW, my coach sits for as long as 6 months in a row every year, without the engine being run.

However, it's your money, waste it if you want to.

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Just curious. What happens to the thousands of new and used units on dealer lots? Should we never buy one that his been on the lot for more than a couple of months without running?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Just curious. What happens to the thousands of new and used units on dealer lots? Should we never buy one that his been on the lot for more than a couple of months without running?
The salesmen run them weekly
Motorcoach for sale, been sitting for 2 years on dealers lot, New! 0 miles, Generator 500 hrs.

Tags
chassis