Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Running 2 ACs on 30 Amps

Friends,

Someone told me, or I read in the manual that I can run 2 roof ac units on 30 amp hookups if I limit the use of any other ac appliances. Any advise would be appreciated as I will be spending 3 nights this May in Dallas at a 30 amp COE park. I have a 2015 Itasca Sunova 33.

Many Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Typically yes, if no other loads and the 30a service is robust. One load often overlooked is the battery charger - set it to minimum draw.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Typically yes, if no other loads and the 30a service is robust. One load often overlooked is the battery charger - set it to minimum draw.
I totally agree! It even helps if you have LED bulbs and tv. Less power used is more efficient towards the power needed. If you have a ice maker turn it off, same goes for electric water heater switch to gas. Same for the fridge, switch to gas as well. We can run two ac's in our coach with no problem. Start the ac's early to help with temps.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Friends,

Someone told me, or I read in the manual that I can run 2 roof ac units on 30 amp hookups if I limit the use of any other ac appliances. Any advise would be appreciated as I will be spending 3 nights this May in Dallas at a 30 amp COE park. I have a 2015 Itasca Sunova 33.

Many Thanks,

Dave
The only true way to answer your question is to turn them on, and use a amp probe to see how may amps each is drawing, or if your Coach is equipped with a energy management center that shows amp loads on L1/L2....... My Duo therm 13.5 each draw around 16/17 amps each while running.........I can't run both on a 30 amp outlet.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Can you do it? Yes, but don't start both at the same time. Also, you will not have much headroom. You can't run a coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave or much else while running the ACs.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

What size A/C units ??
Neighbor in my SoCA. park was running both his 15,000 BTU. A/Cs ( older coach ) on the 30 amp service; and I warned him , middle of the third day the connection at the post melted.
He ..... up and down that the post circuit breaker would kick out first ; but it didn't.
You'll have to examine the park power plug VERY carefully , any sign that there has been previous overheating of the plug and you run the risk of melting down the plug and your adapter .
Get out to the post with both A/Cs running , if the plug on your adapter cord feels hot ; shut one down!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I would be extremely cautious of running 2 AC units on a 30 A. system. I know one campground we frequent has 30 A. receptacles BUT the campground was built in the mid 70's. Since it was built the campground has been expanded and the power lines have been tapped into and extended several times since they were originally built. The receptacles are fine, the breakers are fine but the wire size is inadequate and probably the wires have deteriorated somewhat to feed a large line of modern campers all running AC's at the same time. It's like trying to pour a five gallon pail of water through a 1/4' funnel. Voltage is pressure while amperage is flow. The flow just isn't there.
I have been to a couple campgrounds I wouldn't even run my fridge on AC just because I feared a low voltage / amp supply. I have a generator and propane. It's much cheaper to run either or even both rather than ruining a perfectly good appliance. My converter works just fine for heat and lights. My TV is LED but we seldom use it.
Lynn
Old 04-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
What size A/C units ??
Neighbor in my SoCA. park was running both his 15,000 BTU. A/Cs ( older coach ) on the 30 amp service; and I warned him , middle of the third day the connection at the post melted.
Thats about what I've found!

A lot is going to depend on the distance you are from the pedestal, and, how good the 30A source is.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi.

I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C. It is the same as a Sunova.

I run two air conditioners / heat pumps on 30 amps. The only problem is also running the microwave / convection oven at the same time. If you want to run the microwave turn off one air conditioner.

I have a Progressive Industries Surge Protector that protects my electrical system.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Dave1956, here is a link to the Power Control System that is in your coach. When the systems senses that you are on a 30 amp service it will turn power off as needed to the electric water heater, Refrigerator and also disable the #2 AC unite to keep the current draw from not exceeding 30amps.
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...nersManual.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all! Grant thanks for the attachment, I have studied that and with the other comments I feel better about this new adventure,
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Friends,

Many Thanks,

Dave
Dave, I have a 2010 Sunova 33c. It has the two Coleman 13.5K high-efficiency AC's. According to the EMS and their specs, they each only use 9-10 amps. That's with the fans set on regular speed. With both AC's running it leaves at least 10 amps for other appliances. I would check your build sheet to see if you have the same AC's as ours.

As grtharris has mentioned above, if the current draw gets up to 30 amps, the EMS will shut down the rear AC and whatever else (hot water heater, etc) until the draw is below 30 amps. We have a 30 amp service in the MH so this is operation as usual for us.

Edit: I checked your specs for the 2015 model and you do have the same AC units as ours.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There is a difference between rated capacity and continuous-duty. A CG circuit may be rated for 30A, but continuous-duty is 80% of design capacity. This means, in reality 24A should be your limit. Reference the melted plug reply.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

It might be worth your time to look at the Easy Start from Micro Air. It's an electronic gizmo that primarily manages power draw when the AC starts. Plenty of posts of folks reliably starting/running 15K AC units on a single 2K generator. So if you put one one each AC unit, it might help you out. An engineer for them named Mateo is active on several RV forums, I know he posts a lot on the Airstream one and is very good about answering questions.

FWIW, I don't have one, but if I decide to boondock more, I have it on my list as something to seriously consider.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Thats about what I've found!

A lot is going to depend on the distance you are from the pedestal, and, how good the 30A source is.
this is a different issue that needs to be addresssed on an individual basis. I am currently in a 30A site running the dual compressor basement HVAC and our friends with a Brave running both A/C's on full to check connection heating. We are both running Fridge and HW as well, and letting the load center take care of things and have no issues whatsoever. This park is a year old so pedestals are fine so we are not fighting any wear or fatigue.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have an 08 Sunova 35J, also on a 30amp service. I ran both A/C's last year after I bought it with no issues. It was late Aug in New England, so not quite as bad as the south but still were running.

As others indicated, go easy on the other appliance use age and don't start both A/C's at the same time. If memory serves, I think I was running 21amps with both A/C's, the fridge and a couple lights on. The EMS is good at cycling the loads around as needed.

When I bought it, the previous owner had both running at the same time on the Genset as well.

The only time I've ever had an issue was my wife's intro to how RV's work. Both A/C's, Tv, DVD player, hot water heater on "both", and darn near every light on as she washed some dishes. Good lesson in electrical mgmt and where the circuit breakers are.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There is a difference between rated capacity and continuous-duty. A CG circuit may be rated for 30A, but continuous-duty is 80% of design capacity. This means, in reality 24A should be your limit. Reference the melted plug reply.
Continuous duty typically applies to commercial loads. Facilities where the max current demand continues for a minimum of 3 hours. That is what the NEC considers continuous duty and is normally only considered when sizing wires and breakers in a commercial building. It's certainly possible but not likely to draw a continuous 30 amps in an RV.