Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 05:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Routing electrical circuit under chassis

All,

I am trying to run a dedicated 15amp circuit to the slide side of a 2019 Intent 29L. Tired of trying to cook anything in these terrible RV ovens so I have removed the oven from the range and will use a small convection counter top oven in the cubby hole where the oven was. Sadly Winnebago used breaker #1 to power all plugs in the kitchen, the bathroom, the hallway and the rear bedroom counter. Breaker#2 runs the bedside plugs, dinette and plug by the passenger. All plugs that would never have a high load. The main cables run across the unit by the gray tank. They come up under the sink, accessible. They exit from the coach under the bench running rearward towards the bathroom. Where they exit the coach is not exactly visible, perhaps under the vanity? I am out of ideas trying to get a new circuit run across the same way. There is a blank spot on the breaker panel to use. If I use the circuit in the kitchen now the other plugs would not be good for anything during cooking. Also cant tap into the frig or microwave as they would each pop the circuit when the oven was on. Can't understand why Winnebago would bother with two main circuits and load the heck out of one of them and not the other.
jbellarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:25 AM   #2

If you only have 30A service then you ONLY use L1 from the shore power.

It's really 50A but the circuit breaker limits it to 30A.

If you want to run a separate circuit, just add a 14 or 12 gauge extension cord and run it to your power bay. And there you can add another extension cord to run to your shore power 20A outlet.

This is the cheapest and most reliable solution; and since your extension cord is protected by the 20A breaker on the shore power pole you don't need to do anything more.

Just be sure you know your amp draw and that will determine if you can run a lighter weight 14G extension cord or if you need a 20G, but if your shore power breaker is 20A it makes sense to go with a 12G.

...And I would not run an AC extension cord "under the chassis" if you can hide it inside the RV, but maybe you have no choice on a gas rig without any basement access?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you , great suggestion! Had not thought of that. I started to think the 30AMP main breaker would be my limiting factor anyway. Even with a dedicated 15A line if the AC, Frig, Coffee maker and my Ice Maker all kick on at the same time the Toaster Oven would probably pop the main regardless. Agree, 20AMp breaker I should use 12g rather than 14g.

I think I can get to the power bay easier than routing a wire from the breaker box. I just cannot figure out how the Winnebago guys ran those cables. They seem to shoot towards the vanity and then down, a place I cannot reach!

By under the chassis I mean between the cabin floor and the underbody floor. The current wires run across there now. You can see them all through the side storage bins. One pair is pass through on one side and blocked by the gray tank on the other. The wires all run just under the gray tank. Nothing is exposed to the outside at all.
jbellarmada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, electrical