Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rope Lights

Any ideas for rope lights... perhaps lights that give off a glow under the RV...

Thanks!
Wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We like them and like the glow from green but then there are as many options as there are people, so I might suggest doing a search like E-bay for what you want and to look at tons of different options to suit what you might like!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ights&_sacat=0
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There are many types of rope lights. Most are LED and the are available 115VAC and DC, which can be solar, battery or AC/DC power converter. Walmart sells thin wire LED battery powered string lights in multiple colors for about $5. They are found in the RV section. If you wait until Christmas, or shop online, there is a very large selection.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We installed these from M4. They’re not “rope” lights, rather LED “puck” lighting. Extremely durable, but not inexpensive. They are 12v RGB, with a remote dimmer, and color selector.
https://m4products.com/under-rv-led-...bright-lights/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBCB840B-3FE2-4F07-9C45-7E97859BC7B9.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	180245  
Old 07-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm trying to understand the point. Is there some practical purpose? Or is it simply for the lighting effect and aesthetics? Not knocking anyone else's choices, I guess I just don't get it.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I gave up considering any of this because of they just aren't dark sky friendly. We enjoy seeing the stars... and the glare and light pollution from these things is high.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Relax, I also carry a telescope!
These we only employ at parties sites, you know three families at a KOA—parking lot settings. And yes, we turn on our awning light as well! Not for use IMHO in a SP, NP, or boon-docking situations.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm against them!! The ones I've seen in private parks, the owners leave them on all night long causing extreme light pollution. Nothing I can do about it. Just MHO.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I use rope lights often at night to provide a little light for dw when she lets the dogs out during the night ... some folks think they "pollute" the neighborhood. Lots of brighter lights where we normally are. Go figure.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I'm trying to understand the point. Is there some practical purpose? Or is it simply for the lighting effect and aesthetics? Not knocking anyone else's choices, I guess I just don't get it.

Pack rats avoid the light here in AZ
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
Pack rats avoid the light here in AZ

Ok, see that would absolutely justify some subdued undercarriage lighting. Or undercarriage laser rat zappers even.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #12

LED Rope Lights Work Great To Repel Mice!!!

Last year seemed like an unusually bad year for mice in Montana. So, I did a lot of research and one of the suggestion I came across was to use LED rope lights on a timer so they turn on-and-off every 15 minutes.

I gave it a try and I now believe this is a great way to repel against mice while at the same time offering a little light in a dark camp spot.

However, I am with "rhodesaz" when it comes to light pollution and RV the light-up like X-mas trees!!! ...And when they strobe different colors that may look cool at first, but it's really annoying if you ask me.

If you have a DP, what I do recommend it that you run a 25' strand of outdoor LED rope lights down the driver's side frame rails, behind your slide out. Then use zip-ties as needed; and then drill a 1.5" hole in the back metal wall of your inverter storage bin so you can find a power source.

In my RV model, and many like it, there you will find your ENGINE BLOCK HEATER outlet you can plug into; and from inside the RV you can turn on the Block Heater switch to control the LED lights. This way your LED lights never need to be put away. You just leave them zip-tied to the chassis and flip the switch when you want to turn them on.

...But an an even better idea, if you want to repel mice, is to get a $6 mechanical timer at Walmart; and then program it by pressing every other pin on the timer, so the lights turn on-and-off every 15 minutes. This will help to repel mice.

So to summarize: I took one 25-30' strand and ran it down the driver's side of the chassis, so when you look out your bedroom window it will illuminate that side of the RV in a non-intrusive manner.

Then I took a second 40' stand of LED rope lights, and this one I just unwind like an extension cord (of lights) from the inverter power storage bay... under my DP engine... and across the entire passenger side of the RV on the ground.

I only used white-warm-color-lights, because I found the color options (blue or green or red) were not as practical for BBQing at night. I also did knot like the bright cool color (blue) light.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of lights that hang off your awning, because I don't like leaving my awning out at night; and lots of times the wind it too strong. So leaving your led lights on the ground makes more sense if you ask me.

And while you may contemplate getting different colors, and I did, I eventually just settled on warm-white, LED rope lights, because I did not want to deal with those tiny LED on a flat strand. However, if you decide to permanently mount LED under your storage compartments, then these thin, surface mount LED light strips may be your best bet.

The colored lights in the pictures below are for test purposes. I also bought the warm-white, rope LED lights at Walmart for $28 I think. The 40' stand may have been $34.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_203206.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	180298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_203229.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	180299  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Like several others, I have enjoyed the ambience of LED lighting at home, and had spent considerable time researching the best options -- individual lights from the awning, undercarriage LED strip lights, solar powered inflatable hanging lights, etc. Then, we were in Borrego Springs, CA for a week last December, just before the COVID-19 surge drove us out. Borrego Springs is a certified IDA International Dark Sky Community, and the RV park we stayed in proudly claims to be similarly oriented. However, at least a third of the RVs had undercarriage lights and/or outside string lights on "all night long," even after their inebriated outbursts had ended. It made the Geminid meteor shower much less intense. Needless to say, I have given up looking for undercarriage solutions (the waterproof rating is important, as even IP65 is unlikely to withstand constant bombardment from road water at 65 mph). If you do install them, PLEASE consider a easily accessible ON/OFF switch or a timer, so that your neighbors are forced to wear eye shades in the winter, or keep their shades down all night long.
MarvinFickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It's popular at alot of parks. No different when lights were hanging off awning edges. We used mini Coleman lanterns. Now most rigs come equipped with LEDs. There will be another fad after rope lighting. Light pollution...... smh. I point one of those laser animated light shows into tree tops. Kids and adults alike love it. Alot ask where they can get them. Some point them at the side of their rv. Mine look like tiny stars.....
Old 07-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Turn It Off

I'm so over LED light shows and LED patio lights at campgrounds and RV parks/resorts. It's right up there with blaring music.

So often people with these gadgets sit in their RV's, in the dark watching their TV's while camping neighbors put up with their LED pollution.

Turn it off and enjoy the evening at camp!
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Solar Lights?

We camp host and use solar lights along the edge of the pathway/stairway for safety. They are quite low light and since they cut themselves off during the night, we don't worry about forgetting. At the picnic table area, we have one of those DIY "tub" lights, also with a solar light inside, which is very diffused and also dims itself.

We keep those little tiny LED flashlights in jacket pockets for going out at night. My tablet that I use for reading is backlit. Can't think of why we would need more or brighter light if not for decoration?

As for the undercarriage lights repelling mice/rats...they do climb and can get in from the top of the RV, the engine, etc. Ask me how I know! lol Inspecting and closing up potential entrances worked best for us with the addition of Fresh Cab repellant.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights