Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Retrofit Winegard AS2003 with Roadtrip Mission

I have a Winegard AS2003 automatic satellite system factory installed in our 2004 Journey. Since I purchased the coach in 2014, I have not been able to get the antenna to locate or lock onto the Dish satellite. Winegard feels the control board within the entertainment center is bad--and they no longer support it.
SO... I am thinking of retrofitting this system with an in-motion Roadtrip Mission dome-style antenna. My hope is to utilize the existing Winnebago wiring from the AS2003 control pad in the entertainment center to the antenna on the roof. Has anyone done this update? Difficulties? Does the Mission work well?
I also have to ask if anyone has a spare AS2003 control panel and board...
Thanks!
FiveJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem with mine when I had it installed at the factory. Fought it all the way to Montana until I discovered I needed a "B" channel converter.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The problem is that Dish put new satellites in space that the AS-2003 control board doesn't know about and therefore cannot do a successful alignment. There is no fixing the AS-2003.

I would recommend replacing the AS-2003 with a Winegard Trav'ler. Costs a little more but you will be a lot happier.

I did such a replacement using the existing coax cables. Instead of running the Trav'ler control cable, I used the existing AS-2003 cable which has more wires in it. I spliced the ends of the Trav'ler control cable to the AS-2003 cable. Most of the wires map color to color with a few extras that I just trimmed off.

The AS-2003 controller used 12 volts. The Trav'ler uses 120 volts AC so you need to add an extension cord.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The problem is that Dish put new satellites in space that the AS-2003 control board doesn't know about and therefore cannot do a successful alignment. There is no fixing the AS-2003.

I would recommend replacing the AS-2003 with a Winegard Trav'ler. Costs a little more but you will be a lot happier.

I did such a replacement using the existing coax cables. Instead of running the Trav'ler control cable, I used the existing AS-2003 cable which has more wires in it. I spliced the ends of the Trav'ler control cable to the AS-2003 cable. Most of the wires map color to color with a few extras that I just trimmed off.

The AS-2003 controller used 12 volts. The Trav'ler uses 120 volts AC so you need to add an extension cord.
This is good advice... Even if the AS-2003 was working as brand new, it will not work with the satellites used in 2016. There is no fix for the AS-2003.

I would also recommend installing a Travler rather than a dome. Much better performance and far more functional if you want to have multiple tuners.

I would caution though, that cutting the control cable and splicing it does void the warranty, but that issue aside, what was done here is a fantastic upgrade...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate the support.
Question regarding Dale and Mark post: Where does the 120vac extension cord need to go, inside the coach to the control panel? Will the control panel require I modify the existing AS-2003 panel?
Question to Don & Anita: I am intrigued by ability to use Mission (or Roadtrip T4) while on the road (passenger use...). But both you and Dale/Mark say Traveler has better performance--in what regard? Also, I am hesitant to undo a well sealed roof on my Winnie to remove existing wires/coax; and figure how to pull in new harness and cable(s). I have well above average mechanical and decent fabrication skills, am I over analyzing or worrying about such a retrofit?
Thanks again for all the advise.
John and Janice
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

In motion. 95% of the folks I talk to that have in-motion antennas say they don't use them in motion. When you are parked in your camp site, the tracking motors will still operate in order to maintain signal lock, so you will most likely hear that noise when you're parked and may find it annoying.

Performance. No dome antenna that fits on the roof of an RV will compete in signal strength with a Travler. No dome antenna can "see" more than one satellite at a time, so using any dome antenna in conjunction with multiple tuners and DVRs is challenging or impossible.

If you an average "handyman" you can surely make either upgrade and still have a well sealed roof.

You are welcome to give me a call if you would like to discuss in more detail. Our phone number is on every page of our website...

Sincerely,
Don Sweger
www.TVforMyRV.com
Old 02-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The current AA-2003 is a panel probably mounted in a manufactured box inside a cabinet.

The Trav'ler control box is an independent box about 6"x2"x4". I removed the manufactured box and placed the Trav'ler control box in the same area as I was reusing the control cable from the AS-2003. The Trav'ler control box plugs into 120 volts.

I wouldn't worry about warranty issues for cutting the cable. Small argument compared to unsealing the roof and running a new control cable inside the ceiling.

In my humble opinion, in-motion domes are useless. When driving, the only satellite reception should be music and XMSirius radio does a much better job. If you want to keep kids entertained, a DVD player will do a much better job.

Remember, the forward TV, by law, cannot turn on when the ignition is on.

A Trav'ler will give you the full range of satellite and channels without moving the dish. If you ever want to use a DVR or a second receiver, you will really appreciate that,
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Regarding the Travler control cable..... I would assume you will be removing the AS-2003 and install the Travler in the same vicinity. Even if you leave the AS-2003 in place you'll still have to put the Travler somewhere and you're going to be making a significant disturbance to the roof already. Re-sealing around a new control cable entrance is not a big deal.

P.S. Since you're going to be on the roof anyway, this would be a good time to thoroughly inspect the sealant around all the roof penetrations. If your roof is still "factory fresh", at this age, you will most likely need to refresh some of the lap sealant.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We tow with a Blue Ox and a Brakebuddy braking system. Start this with a Wrangler 2 door and a 36 ft diesel pusher. The coach was so much heaver than the town that even in heaving braking did not feel Jeep. We now tow with a 2015 class C Cambria. We are towing a Lincoln MKX. In heaving braking I can feel the car brakes coming on to assist the stopping. I would not tow with out an auxiliary braking system. My Blue Ox has been great. I also had a line run to keep the CRX battery charged from the coach. I did the same with the Wangler.
Hope some of this helped. Happy RVing.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
. I would assume you will be removing the AS-2003 and install the Travler in the same vicinity. Even if you leave the AS-2003 in place you'll still have to put the Travler somewhere and you're going to be making a significant disturbance to the roof already.
If it was just the roof entrance, that would have been a simple thing. The running the cable through 14' inside the ceiling is a totally different story. It all depends on where the AS-2003 control panel is in reference to the roof entry point. For me is was way easier to splice the ends of the cable.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

upgrading Winegard AS-2003

All,
Thanks for all the comprehensive assistance in my upgrade. Will do the Traveler for the reasons noted by those who responded above.
I certainly appreciate IRV2 and the depth of knowledge within the membership base.
Being a first time coach owner, we have run into quite a few head scratchers. Our 12 year old Journey only had 6800 miles on it when purchased 2 years ago, but the lack of use had several systems not up to snuff. We now have 12k on it and will continue to enjoy the life!
John