Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

This thread on fridges is one of the most interesting and important exchanges I have seen for awhile on the forum. I am sure as we go down the road, we will learn even more.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Residential refrigerators installed as replacements for absorption units have ~1.5x the amount of storage space in the same physical space. We replaced a Norcold 1200LRIM with a counter-depth Samsung RF197 unit which has 18 cu ft of storage and doesn't stick out any further into the room than did the Norcold. In addition, residential refrigerators actually operate like real refrigerators and keep food cold or frozen at consistent temperatures. No more soft ice cream!

I agree that absorption refrigerators have been around for years, but I think the companies that sell them always assumed they had a captive market and never sought to make significant improvements. Otherwise there would be no explanation, for example, for the extremely high electricity usage these units demonstrate when operating on propane.

Most people don't realize that a Norcold 1200 series will use 50-60 amp-hours per day of DC current to keep its circuit boards running when the fridge itself is running on propane. My Samsung fridge draws about 100 amp-hours per day of DC to operate, period. So the extra burden on my batteries is really not all that much more than existed before. When we travel, between the engine alternator and a small solar panel my batteries essentially do not discharge at all.
My next MH will have a residential refer, but you have to run the inverter for 120 volt. The inverter wastes a lot of energy all by itself you did not account for. The beauty of the norcold is yo can run an propane and 12 volt and keep the inverter off. Much better for dry camping. Guess I better plan on solar cells as well.
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

My Dometic NDA 1402 cooled like a champ while sitting still on electric or propane, slide in or out. As soon as you started down the road it slowly began to rise in temp. After 8 hours on the road the refer would be in the low 50s and the freezer was 15 degrees.

Turns out it was the install. The top was not properly sealed, the flange was not attached and the fans on the rear were mounted a foot to low.

Working fine now with those issues corrected.

I had been looking for a residential replacement. I'll wait now until another issue with the refer comes along and then make the replacement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I believe Winnebago has done a responsible thing at eliminating items from its motor home line ups that have had problems. (Absorption fridges, basement air; Workhorse chassis).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

If and when our Dometic dies or malfunctions (and sooner or later it will) I will put a residential fridge in. However, I will not add an inverter, and don't really see the need for one. If on a short trip the fridge will only loose a couple of degrees when not plugged in. Longer trips I will run the generator and everything will stay cold.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
If and when our Dometic dies or malfunctions (and sooner or later it will) I will put a residential fridge in. However, I will not add an inverter, and don't really see the need for one. If on a short trip the fridge will only loose a couple of degrees when not plugged in. Longer trips I will run the generator and everything will stay cold.
I will do the same. My only question is, if running the generator to only power the refer how much fuel will be consumed? If it's say 0.5 gallons per hour, that would be $2.00 an hour. How long will it take for an inverter to pay for itself?

I have an inverter already, so just wondering, generator maintenance and fuel consumption vs. battery maintenance and inverter cost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I will do the same. My only question is, if running the generator to only power the refer how much fuel will be consumed? If it's say 0.5 gallons per hour, that would be $2.00 an hour. How long will it take for an inverter to pay for itself?

I have an inverter already, so just wondering, generator maintenance and fuel consumption vs. battery maintenance and inverter cost.
We can plug in at home so we cool the fridge down before we leave. We take a lot of short trips where we would not have to use the generator as the fridge will stay cool and only loose a degree or two in 4 to 5 hours. For longer trips we would use the generator, but not for the entire trip. So the $2.00 is not the big of a deal for us.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Could you provide info. on the halon system ? Brand, price ?
Very interested.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #29

Interesting posts;; One can not decide which to get from posts as they are all correct; I must share my experiance. #1 the absorbson refer has been around years ( we had one in 1950 Servel, they worked ) Altho The compressor type is much better. Consider the facts, . Fire problem in the nor/dem.Is it the Brow. The res/style On elec. (most gen. consume 1 gallon Per hour. We can Split hairs.... = $4.00 fuel) plus there weight Is 2/3 times what an absorbant unit. In 8 motorhomes. We replaced 1 Refer. $1250.00 Or what ever. They are some of the finest units built and as stated in prior posts. this is NOT a perfect world and things will happen.I do not want to go there. it's not good. To say that a manufacturer Produces INferior products;. With that in mind I can only ask/say ,, because mine lasted Only 1 year, is it inferior ???? My other 7 lasted over 10 years. And that should satisfy anyone. Life is good.. in the USA. We can all buy what we want;; A seat for every saddle;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote: "A seat for every saddle; "

You got that backwards. Some bigger than others.

What was the watts draw on a conventional fridge ?

My 94 Bounder's Dometic RM2807 is still going strong, but kinda small.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #31

Where is everyone.. A seat for every saddle;; I thought I would get a lot more response;; Come On guys;
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

This is my opinion only but it seems to me the majority of the problems with absortion type fridges happens with the larger sized fridges than those say 10cf and under, that said when we purchase our coach for fulltiming we'll go with a residential fridge.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

I think a lot of it boils down to your intended usage of the unit. As for me, I love the absorption unit. Its 30+ years old and still works great. I only have 2 house batteries, a very small genset, and an even smaller inverter. But my family and I boondock in the wilderness for a week at a time and love it. So without major upgrades and changes to our camping style a residential unit just wouldn't work to well. I do have to agree on two points that have been made. The older absorbtion units appear to be better built. Mine doesn't need any elec. at all. And the larger units appear to have more problems than the smaller ones. The unit I have now is a Magic Chef around 8cf.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I believe Winnebago has done a responsible thing at eliminating items from its motor home line ups that have had problems. (Absorption fridges, basement air; Workhorse chassis).
Workhorse chassis is not available for gas engines because GM stopped making the 8.1 engine that was used, not because of any problems with the Workhorse chassis which IMHO is one of the best out there. I love my basement air and it is my understanding it was eliminated for reasons unrelated to reliability or efficiency for example on may of the diesel pushers that space is now needed for the urea tank used for the urea injection on the emissions system.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
I have noticed all of the 2012 Winnebago units on various dealers web pages have residential refrigerators.
Is Winnebago phasing out the absorption due to recalls and fires?

I'm in the process of special ordering a 2012 Journey 36m
I believe that the change is being driven by consumer desire more than anything else along with washer/dryer, garbage disposal, trash compactor dishwasher and residential range and oven.
We want all the conviences of home when we travel and the RV industry is responding, some builders faster than others.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #36

I guess I'm from the old fashion school.. That stays focused on topic... Just what the heck Does the Workhorse chassic have to do with a Fridge. Help
Old 12-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I guess I'm from the old fashion school.. That stays focused on topic... Just what the heck Does the Workhorse chassic have to do with a Fridge. Help
You must have remembered your learning, welcome back. Last month you were posting about diesel engines in in a thread about Ford V10s
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I am curious on how big of a inverter you have on your coach that you are able to change to a residential refrigerator. I have been told that with our 2002 journey there is no place to put additional batteries. Can anybody give me some advice that has done the change.
rjhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,

So, just wondering what the true advantage is.
Scott

Yep, I agree. We mostly "camp" either in the desert, or at race tracks. No hookups. No way I'm going to run the generator for hours a day to run the fridge. Always amused to see the RV mfr's get all excited over "residential" style stuff. It's a motorhome, not a mobile home...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

I have the 36M with a Maytag residential refrig. It runs very seldom and it does not seem to draw much amperage according to my smart switch information. I hear it run for a few minutes only a few times a day. The newer refrigerators run much more effectively than older style units. I have driven all day with the inverter off and the refrig. off and it has not warmed up enough to even worry about. It is easy to keep the inverter on while driving since the batteries stay charged.The size is so awesome/ It is easy to load for a multi-week trip.

I have not boondocked except for a few days and only ran the generator twice each day and the refrig. was no problem, I even ran the TV's on the inverter.

Only time will tell if this is the best set up.
speaky is offline   Reply With Quote