Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Have you downloaded the wiring diagrams for your coach yet? What info can you provide so we can all have a look see at them.

What inverter do you have? It sounds like the charger portion of the inverter is either not working or a fuse is blown. If you can post some pictures we might be able to provide better suggestions for testing.

Hang in there buddy. Your not alone.

Rick
Good timing... I just sat down to check this thread. I have downloaded the diagrams for my W22 chassis. I have also purchased the service manuals but so far, cannot zero in on the correct wiring. I am not able to look in the RV at this time as I am in Massachusetts and the RV is in Colorado. The converter is the original (2005) and I am suspect of that as well. I appreciate the comments but I will not be able to put hands on for a month.

My wife is donating a kidney to her sister and I am here with her in MA in support.
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
My wife is donating a kidney to her sister and I am here with her in MA in support.
So, the time is now here. How is her sister doing? We have talked about this if you recall. Parking...

Long distance troubleshooting is difficult, especially in your case. When you get back home we will all be here to cheer you on. Right now your family is your focus. MA in the fall can be a wonderland of color and texture. I hope you folks can all enjoy this as a vacation during the recovery period.

Blessings to you,

Rick
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Since I purchased this MH as used and have no idea how the previous owner handled the AC scenario combined with chattering relays, drop outs, etc... would my best bet be to replace the switch anyway?

This is one of two problems I am facing. I am still working on why my house batteries do not charge on shore power but do on generator/engine alternator. Oh the joys of RV'ing
I know you are in MA for awhile, but the ATS is very suspect in your house battery charging problem. Your alternator > house batt system is of course working. Your generator > ATS > charger > house batt system is working. Since it is not on shore power, this means your charger is not receiving the 120v.

All things being normal and working as they should, this would mean the shore power is not getting by the ATS.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
So, the time is now here. How is her sister doing? We have talked about this if you recall. Parking...

Long distance troubleshooting is difficult, especially in your case. When you get back home we will all be here to cheer you on. Right now your family is your focus. MA in the fall can be a wonderland of color and texture. I hope you folks can all enjoy this as a vacation during the recovery period.

Blessings to you,

Rick
I do recall your generous offer and again thank you for it. My wife's sister is doing good, tired but good. Surgery will be next Tuesday (17th) at U-Mass Medical in Worcester, MA.

My continuing research is to keep my mind occupied while waiting for this to happen and because I hate it when OP's post questions, get valuable info and then never give feedback on the results of the suggestions. To me, that's rude.

I will follow up when new replies are posted and when I am able to get back to Colorado and get my hands back on the MH.

Thanks again.... to all
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I know you are in MA for awhile, but the ATS is very suspect in your house battery charging problem. Your alternator > house batt system is of course working. Your generator > ATS > charger > house batt system is working. Since it is not on shore power, this means your charger is not receiving the 120v.

All things being normal and working as they should, this would mean the shore power is not getting by the ATS.
That is my thoughts as well. My wife and I will start full timing in late December and I need the MH to be reliable. I will replace it with a good switch if I have a high certainty that doing so will correct this problem. Maybe at < $200 it makes sense to take a chance and just replace it. The chattering relays alone tell me it might be on the edge of working.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Yes you want reliable and it's chattering, so I would say a 95% certaincy.

As long as the shore power is confirmed to be good (check at the ATS connection) this eliminates a problem in the shore cord or the dogbone (adapter) if being used to reduce 50a>30a>20a. Since it's 9 years old, it's a good time to replace anyway, as you will deal with this eventually on the road.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

My generator is running and it does not appear to be transferring power to the coach...it is running as if there is no load and the inverter says it is inverting. This just happened.... I am boondocking, so there is no shore power. Any suggestions?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
My generator is running and it does not appear to be transferring power to the coach...it is running as if there is no load and the inverter says it is inverting. This just happened.... I am boondocking, so there is no shore power. Any suggestions?
Sorry all.........after waiting a longer time than normal, it finally seemed to switch over.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That is my thoughts as well. My wife and I will start full timing in late December and I need the MH to be reliable. I will replace it with a good switch if I have a high certainty that doing so will correct this problem. Maybe at < $200 it makes sense to take a chance and just replace it. The chattering relays alone tell me it might be on the edge of working.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes it does make sense. There are many good ATS's available online and through ebay. I can tell you from first hand experience it is a physical chore. In your case it is well worth the effort.

When you start into it please assume nothing. Make certain that the new ATS is optioned correctly for your application. This can be a bit confusing but with observation care you will get it correct the first time.

Happy trails and welcome to the open road.

Rick
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yes it does make sense. There are many good ATS's available online and through ebay. I can tell you from first hand experience it is a physical chore. In your case it is well worth the effort.

When you start into it please assume nothing. Make certain that the new ATS is optioned correctly for your application. This can be a bit confusing but with observation care you will get it correct the first time.

Happy trails and welcome to the open road.

Rick
Thanks as always. Can you elaborate on optioned correctly?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #31

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback!
You won't have ANY problems with this transfer switch. it's the only one that I will use in my coach/home. And it won't cost you much either.

www.boatandrvaccessories.com-ESCO LPT50BRD 50 AMP 120 - 240 VOLT AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

Here is a search LINK that will get you to different suppliers and prices.

https://www.google.com/search?source...SFER&oq=&gs_l=

Mine has been working flawlessly for 12 years now and most of that has been while full-timing so it has gotten an extreme workout.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You won't have ANY problems with this transfer switch. it's the only one that I will use in my coach/home. And it won't cost you much either.

www.boatandrvaccessories.com-ESCO LPT50BRD 50 AMP 120 - 240 VOLT AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

Here is a search LINK that will get you to different suppliers and prices.

https://www.google.com/search?source...SFER&oq=&gs_l=

Mine has been working flawlessly for 12 years now and most of that has been while full-timing so it has gotten an extreme workout.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I see that the ESCO link has this note:

Note: Will not work with Winnabago's Energy Management Unit!

thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:

I see that the ESCO link has this note:

Note: Will not work with Winnabago's Energy Management Unit!

thanks
Whoops !!!

Dang nabbit! I did it again. I keep forgetting to look at the forum name to see what forum type the discussion is about.

Those Winnebagos are in a class of their own. They always seem to have different ways of doing things.

Too bad because those transfer switches are the best in the industry.

Sorry about that.

I'm sure that you will find something adequate for your RV. Just stay away from IOTA and WFCO.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks as always. Can you elaborate on optioned correctly?
There are jumpers needed in some applications. Start with the one you now have and look at the installation notes. This will give you some idea of how it works and what to expect.

Just as a side note, I prefer heavy duty relays with silver contacts in the ATS.

I hope someone out there has recently found a good ATS. I replaced mine in my last coach several years ago.

Another thought to consider. Are your relays in sockets? Are they replaceable? If the controls are functioning the relays just might be a solution.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

PS. Here is my ATS wiring diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_175787.pdf

You can see the jumper options.

Hope this helps.

Rick
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I do recall your generous offer and again thank you for it. My wife's sister is doing good, tired but good. Surgery will be next Tuesday (17th) at U-Mass Medical in Worcester, MA.

My continuing research is to keep my mind occupied while waiting for this to happen and because I hate it when OP's post questions, get valuable info and then never give feedback on the results of the suggestions. To me, that's rude.

I will follow up when new replies are posted and when I am able to get back to Colorado and get my hands back on the MH.

Thanks again.... to all
I am back in town today and will begin to look at the changing of the transfer switch again. I have a quote from a local RV shop of around $150.00 to swap out the switch (provided by me). I am looking at this route as I don't have access to any external power in my storage yard to test the wiring once done. Do you think it is worth that much to have it done?

Also, my wife's and her sisters operations were a great success. Both are doing great and both are recovering very nicely.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

If I was doing it, that's about an hour and a half of labor.
Think, how long would it take you? About the same, if not more. Some Txfer switches are in HARD to reach spots, but aren't hard to change. Sounds fair.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

I am so glad to hear that the ladies are on the mend.

Jesilvas has a good point. I changed out mine in the Vectra and it was in a tough spot. My only concern is trust. I have had so much wrong work done by RV dealers that I am now gun shy. As far as testing is concerned, the generator is a valid test. When the transfer switch sees the power it will operate. If the shop places the wires correctly and tightens the terminal screws correctly all will be fine if that is the way you choose to go.

When I changed my xfer sw the wires were too long. Because of the gauge they are hard to manage in that little box. So, trusting the shop might be ok. I'd want to be there to 'supervise'. But that is just me.

Blessings,
Rick
Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
PS. Here is my ATS wiring diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_175787.pdf

You can see the jumper options.

Hope this helps.

Rick
Quote:
White jumper wires do not remove
I have a new Parallax ATS ready to install. The jumpers only get removed if you are using it on a 30amp coach so I don't think there is anything to worry about. I went with the Parallax because it is the direct replacement so it should swap out 1 for 1.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I have a new Parallax ATS ready to install. The jumpers only get removed if you are using it on a 30amp coach so I don't think there is anything to worry about. I went with the Parallax because it is the direct replacement so it should swap out 1 for 1.
Thanks... Did you get the 501 model?