Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing RG59 cables

Any words of wisdom before I attempt to run new cables for the batwing antenna. Also need new cables for Sat. dish "Wineguard Traveler"

I have checked the cables with a dedicated tester and found them lacking but I could have known just by looking. Can they just be disconnected and pulled out, pulling a new cable through at the same time?

Thanks for any advice.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'd say examine both the original and replacement cables, for crimp on connectors ( common on the 59 ) that could pull off the cable under any amount of tension, wrap the barrel connection with tape to prevent the corners snagging, and cross your fingers that the cable was just laid in place rather than secured with zip ties or cable clamps.

On an aside ; I'd like to ask a question regarding the operation of the Remco pump on your 2012 mini van. ( 6spd automatic?) I read another post where a member was having trouble with the alarm ; for low pressure ; going off after 3+ hrs of driving. I 'm considering one of these vans for my next toad and wonder if that could be a common problem?
I often drive for 4>5 hrs. non-stop and have never had any such issue with my current set up.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First use RG6. Install the connectors after you pull the cables. Strip the end of the new and old cables back to the center conductor and twist them together then put on some electrical tape. Keep the overall diameter of the splice as small as possible. Get some wire pulling lube at Lowes for the tight spots.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Don't be surprised if you find you can't pull the old cables through. Many cables are stapled or otherwise secured in the ceiling when the coach was built.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Skip423

Thanks for the advice. My pump works just fine, now in it's third year.
I was told that the issue you describe was from having too much fluid in the transmission. The van doesn't have a dipstick, they have to order one, then Remco has a very specific chart to fill the transmission for any given temperature.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I was told by Winnebago that the cables in my coach were stapled in place or wire tied where staples could not be used. You may want to talk to someone at Winny first to see how your cables were installed in the foam insulation that they run through.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Also remember to remove the plastic film from the copper stinger (it's the only copper in the RG cable) and no 90 degree bends. They also make RG6 for outdoor use as well as inside. The outside use has an additional steel wire attached to the outside of the cable so that it can be tied off to a house and or pole. It also has some weather proofing inside to prevent loss of signal due to weathering. Any cable company can explain the differences to you.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sadly the answer is "Your millage may vary"

Some times the cables are stapled inside the walls and no way can you pull the old one out

Sometimes (nearly always)there is a bulkhead connector in or near the roof.. Sometimes that is not easy to get at.

Sometimes they pull out easily

Suggestion: Replace all cables with quality RG-6 It is a bit larger in diamater.. But you will see less signal loss in the line.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinflorida View Post
Any words of wisdom before I attempt to run new cables for the batwing antenna. Also need new cables for Sat. dish "Wineguard Traveler"

I have checked the cables with a dedicated tester and found them lacking but I could have known just by looking. Can they just be disconnected and pulled out, pulling a new cable through at the same time?

Thanks for any advice.
Definitely replace the batwing feed and use RG-6 for the feed to the Travler. I ran them together on the roof to a new penetration above the tech cabinet in the front. I reused the RG-59 from the front cabinet to the rear TV after replacing all connectors including intermediate connections above the slide and inside the wall jack. I found the connectors were of poor quality and poorly installed to boot. The entire system is now working great.
Ajwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

T least as far back as 2004 Winnebago was using RG6 cable for the satellite feeds. It may be bad but it is RG6 and in 2004 was a good quality brand.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've seen the same lousy connectors on all the RG6 in the coach and have replaced most

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote