Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2000 Journey and would like to replace my 25" GE TV with a 26" Flat Panel. I will need to remove the existing set, put in a new front panel and make sure it it strong enough to support the new tv. I would like to use a tilt mounting bracket. Has anyone made this modification? Any detailed instructions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Chirodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2000 Journey and would like to replace my 25" GE TV with a 26" Flat Panel. I will need to remove the existing set, put in a new front panel and make sure it it strong enough to support the new tv. I would like to use a tilt mounting bracket. Has anyone made this modification? Any detailed instructions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

chirodr, Welcome to the forum!!

I'm sure someone will be along to give you some advice on your modification, if you'd like to see what Winnebago is doing as far as that mod,there are pics of my optional 32" flat screen in the link to my pics below....

Hopefully your mod won't be a pain in the neck, but from your screen name I bet you could fix that too!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Doc:

I replaced my rear TV with LCD and used a tilting bracket from Circuit City. I considered doing same with my front TV (my 26" RCA also died) but replaced with a Sanyo 26" tube set because it was so cheap.

If you fabricate a backing board that fills the existing hole and set it back from the opening, you should be able to hang the LCD easily...that worked in the bedroom for me. Have you been able to find a 26" flat panel that is more square than rectangular? When I was considering flat panel for the front, everything I found larger than 20" was rectangular and wider than the existing opening.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Check in the Alpine Coach forum. Danny Gayhart did a great job on his coach with this and his thread shows lots of great pictures that may give you some ideas.

This Should Be The Link
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the info. I am installing a rectangular set but Sharp makes a 26" LCD with speakers on the bottom that should fit without too much modification. The photos of the Alpine were "inspiring". If all goes well I will post some before and after photos. Wish me luck!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Good luck.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

LCD TV Upgrade
Check out this thread.
Flyer
Old 07-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 25 inch rca tube tv just died. So I had to put in a replacement. Since the same tv is discontinued (surprised??) I had to come up with an alternative. I looked at several lcd that would "fit" within the plastic molded frame, but none was really a good fit. 26" lcd was the only approp size. I ended up getting a philips 24" flat tube tv...had to cut the base of the new tv to match the curved plastic frame, and had to notch out 2 corners in the plastic frame for the flat (vs curved) tv. Not too bad...but I really wanted to put in a lcd unit. When I have some time/ambition, I will do a new lcd install. I will need to cut the metal frame work to eliminate the front "curve", then I will build new fronts out of wood. So far, I have not found a bracket that will securely hold a lcd. Most of the ones I see has one bracket (attached to lcd) hook onto the wall bracket. There is a lock, but the unit can still slide left/right. That is ok for a house, but not a rv...How have you guys done it? Bolt the lcd directly to some kind of backer board?