Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace house batteries

I have a 2013 Vista 26he. I am looking for some guidance on replacing my 2 house batteries ..... which type of batteries to purchase, what brand, best place to buy, etc. thank you in advance for any help. Bruce
Bloveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sam's Club and Costco for FLA type batteries are probably the most cost effective retailers.
What's in it now? If you're satisfied with the performance of the current batteries, get the same size/type.
In the end, it's your decision.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Sam's Club and Costco for FLA type batteries are probably the most cost effective retailers. .
Not only cost effective, but high volume sellers so you're less likely to get a battery that is a year old.

I'm still on my original starter/deep cycle batteries because my RV is less than a year old, but many here to not like them and I think for good reason. A true deep cycle battery would probably be better. Some suggest golf cart batteries, but I express no opinion on that.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Bruce, you'll find strong advocates of all three types of batteries. What's best for you will be determined by what kind of camping you do and what your budget is.

Other considerations is if you have a need for more amp hours of battery storage or if you were mostly just fine with your current batteries.

Between Flooded Lead Acid (FLA), Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiPo) you have 3 distinct price points along with other features.

If you are good at monitoring the fluid in your batteries regularly, haven't needed more power than your current batteries provide and don't want to spend much then the FLA Deep Cycle batteries are a good choice. Many choose GCB (Golf Cart Batteries) in either 6v or 12v. About $100 a battery.

If you don't want to have to do any maintenance and your budget isn't rock bottom then 12v AGMs are probably a good choice. About $200 to $250 a battery.

If you boondock a lot and need more power longer and are not concerned about upfront costs then LiPo are ideal - as they are probably cheaper in the loooong run. About $900 a battery.

This is a pretty large subject and one that not everyone wants to get into. Many head to Walmart or Costco or Sams Club and buy based on price and are done with it.

My Adventurer has 4-AGM batteries. When it's time to replace them I would never go lower than AGM replacements and would probably go with LiPo. But that's just me and in the end, as Mike said about, it's just your decision.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, I appreciate everyone’s insights
Bloveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised no one mentioned using two 6V golf cart batteries in series to produce 12V. These are true deep cycle batteries unlike the typical Marine/RV batteries that are OEM in most RVs. They are more robust and will handle the deep discharges that house batteries experience. Marine/RV batteries are dual purpose starting/deep cycle batteries and are a compromise. The giveaway is seeing "cold cranking amps" in the specs.
True deep cycle 12 batteries are also available but tend to be more expensive than 6V golf cart batteries. Note that the 12V AGM "deep cycle" batteries carried by Sam's Club are dual purpose batteries.

I use two 6V Costco golf cart batteries in series to provide 12V. Both Costco and Sam's Club carry them at reasonable prices. Alternatively, the Trojan brand seems to be recognized as the quality leader but they're more expensive.
I also use a battery watering system like this which makes routine maintenace much easier:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...s%2C220&sr=8-3
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned using two 6V golf cart batteries in series to produce 12V.
Bob... perhaps you didn't notice that my post and others mentioned 6v and golf cart and Costco batteries.

I know I didn't get into specifics because I have no idea about the OPs battery sizes, nor his understanding of series and parallel battery wiring. The original post was pretty vague and so specific answers are difficult to provide.

I know there are many people that favor 6v series battery configurations. I just don't happen to be one of them.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Bob... perhaps you didn't notice that my post and others mentioned 6v and golf cart and Costco batteries.

I know I didn't get into specifics because I have no idea about the OPs battery sizes, nor his understanding of series and parallel battery wiring. The original post was pretty vague and so specific answers are difficult to provide.

I know there are many people that favor 6v series battery configurations. I just don't happen to be one of them.
I don't know how I missed your post. Well, better more info than not enough.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I don't know how I missed your post. Well, better more info than not enough.
And my post 3, approving of Costco and mentioning golf cart batteries (but not specifically 6 volt!).

One advantage to 6 volt is they may be less likely to be stolen, but that assumes an intelligent thief.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We don’t do a ton of dry camping, usually plugged in at a campground so I admittedly didn’t go too hog wild on mine. I just replaced this year with two Interstate Batteries from Costco. The Coach came with group 24 sized, but I was able to replace with 2 group 27s for a little more capacity. I also replaced the chassis battery while I was I there, I think it was close to $300 all in.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloveall View Post
I have a 2013 Vista 26he. I am looking for some guidance on replacing my 2 house batteries ..... which type of batteries to purchase, what brand, best place to buy, etc. thank you in advance for any help. Bruce

My next house battery bank will be SiO2. Do a google search on SiO2 batteries usa.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloveall View Post
Lots of good advice above. I replaced my G31 AGM's (6) with 125Ah VMAX batteries. I got a good deal from these folks including free shipping. https://www.bargainshore.com/
I wanted the 135Ah but they were out of stock and the restock date was much later than I wanted.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
My next house battery bank will be SiO2. Do a google search on SiO2 batteries usa.
Interesting. I'm only seeing one seller and they are in Canada. I see you're in Canada as well. Check back with us and let us know how they work out.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
CO Sunova Owner

I’d recommend 2 Lifeline AGM batteries. I used to own a 2013 Vista 26HE.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by navnaz View Post
I’d recommend 2 Lifeline AGM batteries. I used to own a 2013 Vista 26HE.
If you do go with AGM’s, I second this reply. I did a lot of research on them and they seem to be an excellent choice.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Interesting. I'm only seeing one seller and they are in Canada. I see you're in Canada as well. Check back with us and let us know how they work out.

There is a USA seller as well.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Replacing batteries

I just had to replace both my house and my chassis battery at the same time $$$$. My MH is a 2016 Winnebago Vista with original batteries. I considered going AGM across the board but would have cost a great deal and it was difficult where I am right now finding AGM batteries for the coach.

I ended up replacing the chassis battery with a 3 year AGM and the coach batteries with regular good quality 2 year batteries.

My strategy for now but it works for me.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianotuna View Post
Before you jump into this too deep you might want to check out some forums on this topic. Here is an example: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/si...s-i-have.2844/
I found them on Amazon. Twice as much as AGM's and no real gain over them compared with my VMax.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have read that the charging requirements for AGM are not same as flooded cell batteries. If your inverter does not allow you to switch your charger to AGM, then might want to stay with flooded cell batteries??
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

There really isn't enough difference between FLA and AGM batteries to really matter. So if your charger doesn't have an AGM setting just use FLA. But any charger built within the last ten years typically does have separate settings.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, house batteries, replace