Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replace dash surface padding

On our 2005 Itasca Horizon the padding under our Dash has deteriorated to nothing but dust and a grease like substance. Does anyone have knowledge of how to remove this top dash panel, so that it can be padded and recovered.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem. I have been studying this as well but have not removed anything yet.The area up against the windshield looks like a problematic area To me it looks like the vinyl covering the padding was installed prior to putting the windshield in. Along the front by the dash it just requires removing the dash covers which I have already done multiple times.
I just have some other projects that take priority like trying to locate a leak, etc.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Similar issue with my coach; padding was OK but vinyl starting to look very tired. Called my contact at Winnebago and was told it was 'very difficult' to remove the dash panel. I did find a couple of studs with nuts in the genset compartment but decided to leave it.

So, ordered a 'custom dash cover' and did not like the fit. Sent it back. Went to Lowe's and bought about $20 worth of indoor/outdoor carpet runner and made my own cover. Made a pattern with some heavy paper, cut out openings to accomodate the dash vents. Very pleased with the results.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Similar issue with my coach; padding was OK but vinyl starting to look very tired.
So, ordered a 'custom dash cover' and did not like the fit. Sent it back. Went to Lowe's and bought about $20 worth of indoor/outdoor carpet runner and made my own cover. Made a pattern with some heavy paper, cut out openings to accomodate the dash vents. Very pleased with the results.

Thanks to the advice above, we did the very same thing with excellent results.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Similar issue with my coach; padding was OK but vinyl starting to look very tired. Called my contact at Winnebago and was told it was 'very difficult' to remove the dash panel. I did find a couple of studs with nuts in the genset compartment but decided to leave it.

Look nice
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Very nice. We have somewhat the same problem. Vinyl covering is okay but the padding underneath is flattened in spots, probably because we used to sometimes put our hand(s) on the dash when entering the coach. So the dash looks lumpy in the area near the door.

Anyway, Smlramger, did you leave the edge facing the inside of the coach loose? I assume you did, since adhesive wold be a bit messy. Any advice for the install that you haven't mentioned?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
Very nice. We have somewhat the same problem. Vinyl covering is okay but the padding underneath is flattened in spots, probably because we used to sometimes put our hand(s) on the dash when entering the coach. So the dash looks lumpy in the area near the door.

Anyway, Smlramger, did you leave the edge facing the inside of the coach loose? I assume you did, since adhesive wold be a bit messy. Any advice for the install that you haven't mentioned?
The edge facing inside of coach is not glued. This runner material is made to be cut and will not ravel. I used the 'factory edge' to face inside the coach and did my cutting along the windshield edge. After it was down for a few days, it 'relaxed' and lays there quite nicely. It really looks better than the more expensive custom made dash mat we ordered and returned.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

You have inspired me to give it a try on our '95 Luxor that has a shoddy looking dash area!
Thehandyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehandyguy View Post
You have inspired me to give it a try on our '95 Luxor that has a shoddy looking dash area!
Go for it. Post some before and after pics.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

yep we did the same thing, except for the edge, looks a lot better and the
wife is happy, all is good except the darn temp.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Replaced dash pap

Hello- I am new here and just found this site. I am replacing the dash pad on my 2000 Ultimate Advantage. The dash will come out but it is a job to do it. I had it recovered and just about ready to go back togeather with it. I will be happy to give some pointers to anyone that might want to start this project.

Ron T
RonnieTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Dash cover '02 Ultimate

We have an '02 Ultimate Freedom with the same problem plus the vertical panel in front of the co-pilot seat is wrinkled. I hope that's not from rust.

Do you have photos of your installation?

Did you have to re-cover the vertical panel?
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Dash Cover

I did not take any photos of the instalation. Sorry. There is a total of 9 bolts that hold the flat dash surface in place. Five across the front that can be accessed from inside (with the exception of front center bolt. I had to drill that one out because you can not get to it from under the dash. The other four bolts across the front can be accessed from outside under the windshield. Then plan on spending several hours cleaning the mess that it has left. You will need a small putty knife and denatured alcohol or mineral sprits to do the job. I had a local trim shop match the materal and recover the flat surface $150. Although it was a difficult job I am very happy with the results. Looks good as new!! Good luck

Ron T.
USMC Vietnam 67 68 69
Semper Fi
Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RonnieTucker - - What coach do you have?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

It is a 2000 Ultimate Advantage.

Ronnie Tucker
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ronnie Tucker - We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon, The panel in front of the passenger seat is a hard plastic panel and cannot figure how to remove it. Do you have any suggestions
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

lwasouth- If your dash is like mine, and I think that it is. The plastic panel in front of the passenger seat is not to hard to remove. You will need to remove the small piece of plastic molding that is next to the entry way steps. I think there are 2 small screws that hold it on. Next take the entry way grab handle off. Then there are several small screws that that hold the rest of the dash in place that you will have to remove. The entire dash consist of 3 hard plastic parts. The large one that covers all the gauges has 5 screws around the back that attach it and the 2 plastic panels in front of the passenger seat. All of which needs to come off if you are attempting to remove the flat padded part of the dash.
The padded covered part is a little more difficult to get to.
Good luck with it.

Ronnie Tucker
USMC
Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I may want to talk with you further. I plan on starting this project tomorrow when It quits raining. If you could send me a PM with a phone number and your home area (I am Eastern Standard in Florida)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Dash is different, in as much as their is no trim strip holding the passenger panel in. Talked to Winnebago today and they will send procedure and drawing for removal of panel. If they send what they said I can post for others to use.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Dash remved

Today I "Bit the bullet" Removing the dash on the 05 Itasca 36RD is not fun, but doable. The vertical panel on the passenger side did not have to be removed. I was able to go in through the AC vent holes and remove the two nuts on that side. The middle one and the drivers end one were fairly easy, but as "Ronnie Tucker" stated there is no way to remove the middle one, so I likewise drilled it out. It can be replaced by a sheet metal screw. Nuts reachable from under the front end are easy to remove with a 7/16" deep socket and a 12 inch extension. Cleaning off the metal dash with the disintrigated foam and glue was a mess to clean up.
Dash was removed in about 1 hour and then 2 1/2 hours to clean up the Metal dash. Tomorrow I will try to find new vinyl and form padding

Tags
dash, replace