Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replace coach batteries?

Hi. I have a 2016 Navion 24Q. I have two NAPA 8240 (12V 675/550 amp) batteries and they do not seem to last very long at all. As they are 5 years old now I assume it is time to replace them. Any recommendations on a better battery to replace them with? I need standard terminals because that is the set up. Thanks for any advice. Rick
RSOLSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi, welcome.
First... your two batteries are 62 amp hour each. That 675amp etc is a rating for engine starting. This number is fine for turning over an engine starter, but not for RV House Batteries.

Your batteries are Group 24. That's a basic size description. Because of a GP 24's physical size only so much storage can be built into them. 65 to 70 Amp Hours is common, but I've seen some more expensive models with up to 80 aHs.

The best way to determine if you need new batteries is to remove them, take them to an auto repair or parts store and have them load tested. But they're likely to tell you that one or both is shot. If one is shot then you must replace both.

Now, If you'd like more powerful house batteries able to provide more power to run things when you are not plugged into shore power or not running the generator you should NOT buy batteries like what you have.

Oh, you can buy Group 24 batteries if you wish, but I'd suggest since those batteries do not start any vehicle that you buy true deep cycle batteries that are made specifically for the duty you use them for.

True Deep Cycle batteries will cost more and if you don't ever camp without plugging into shore power then perhaps you won't want to spend the extra money.

By the way those batteries on your RV now are Wet Cell and require regular maintenance to stay healthy. If you spend extra for AGM batteries you'll never have to do any maintenance... ever, really.

Lastly, many people that do camp without shore power replace the two Group 24 batteries with Group 31 - a larger battery that typically has 100 aHs of power.

A good true Deep Cycle AGM Group 31 battery will cost about $280 to $350. So more than twice as much as the batteries you currently have in your RV. I'm not positive if Group 31 fit the Navion but I believe others here have switched to them without issue.

It depends on what you want to do, how you camp and how much you want to spend.

By the way, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Lithium batteries as a choice. They are better by every measure, more power, faster recharge, zero maintenance and up to a 10-year life span, but they will cost about $1000 per battery. Cheaper in the long run probably. But not super affordable in the short term.

Hope all this helps. By the way House Batteries and battery types is a HUGE topic and one that can take significant study to fully get a handle on all the nuances.

Here's an example of a Group 24 AGM that fits your Navion and has 85 amp hours of true deep cycle power storage:

https://www.amazon.com/VMAXMB107-Cyc.../dp/B00BDV6TM8
Old 05-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you creative part for the great information. Those batteries are the OEM batteries, and I am sure I can do better as you suggest. They are starter batteries I presume because the Navion has a feature that can use the house batteries to jump the engine battery as a back up. But I think the deep cycle would last longer for dry camping and still help with a jump. I am going to go deep cycle for sure. And maybe upgrade to AGM. Very helpful info thanks again!
Old 05-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In some cases I would also recommend replacing the two Group 24 starting batteries with two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series. Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle typs. But I understand that the Navion and other Sprinter based couches have two coach battery locations on opposite sides of the coach which makes wiring in series difficult.

You can find cheaper 100 Ah AGM 12V batteries. Renogy and WindyNation advertise those batteries on Amazon for less than $200 each. Since the location on the Navion makes it difficult to check and add water, I definitely would recommend changing to AGM type batteries.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks David. In the case of my Navion both batteries are in a single compartment so I could do that. I think going to deep cycle makes sense. If I do that it will give me much better battery life than what I have now. I was just wondering if there is any issue with the deep cycle batteries still functioning to "jump" the chassis battery if it is low or dead......there is a "jump switch" on the Navion that allows you to do that. Do you think that would be any problem changing to deep cycle and then (in the uncommon occurrence) still being able to use that "jump" feature.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Site Team

No problem using the AUX power switch to boost your starting battery if needed. That doesn't present itself very often but is never a problem.

The truth is WBGO and others use the dual purpose batteries because they are cheaper. And, they don't do that on every model now a days - mine came with true deep cycle house batteries.

Two 6v's in Series work fine, but generally you'll find them as Flooded batteries that need you to monitor and add water frequently... monthly. There are watering systems that simplify that process but don't eliminate the monthly chore.

6v AGMs are available but tend to cost more.

6v batteries have thicker plates, so they can hold more power (amp hours). But they also weigh more.

It's a trade off. Though many folks are very bullish on 6v Flooded batteries because of the low price. Typically you'll see them called "Golf Cart" batteries.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks very helpful.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

House batteries

I had the OEM NAPA house batteries in my 2014 View replaced with 2 -6 volt golf cart batteries. At the same time I upgraded the OEM converter to a multi-stage converter using these guys 12 Volt Deck Mount. The new batteries really extended my dry camping abilities. And with the new converter I can leave my rig plugged in to shore power and not worry about boiling the batteries.
Robwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I go to Costco and purchase two 6 volt deep cycle batteries around $60 to $80 each. The connectors on the view can be used to run the batteries in a series to produce 12 volts. The six volt batteries have more lead plates and hold more of a charge and last longer than 12 volt batteries. My set of 12 volt batteries lasted 5 years in my 2007 view. The first set of 12 volt batteries in my 2018 view only lasted 2 years. You could try more expensive batteries but you never know how long they will last plus Costco battery warranty is pretty good. We get about 3 day's use of the batteries if we run the tv a lot. The best way to recharge is start the engine as the alternator has twice the charging capability vs. the generator. Its also a lot quieter than running the generator. About 20 minutes will charge them for another day.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Have 2012 Navion 24M, replaced the two 12VDC stock batteries with 2 6VDC Costco (Interstate) Item Number: 850284. GC2 Group Size, 6 Volt, $100 each. Very good economical upgrade, the boon docking duration is extended by 2-4 hrs, the heater runs all night without a problem,

Needed to fabricate new battery hold-down clamps,new battery size is higher than stock. Jumper wire to connect the 2 batteries together to get 12 volts was available at local auto pats store.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

For tie down straps on the 6 volt batteries, I used plastic 12 inch cable ties that click together. I connect three of them together. They cinch down and hold the batteries in place and are easy to install.
I also use cable ties on the rear wheel covers because the weight of the motor home causes the dual rims to flex and release the chrome hubcaps. I place three on each wheel. Even though the metal grabbers on the hubcaps have worn off, the cable ties keep them on. Losing rear hubcaps on a view or Navion is inevitable unless there is a system to hold them on.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, replace