Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Removing House Battery Tray

I want to remove my house battery tray so that i can clean and paint it. There is a stop that keeps the tray from coming out too far. I thought I could just remove the stop mounted on the frame and have the tray slide all the way out. But there is also a roller mounted on the frame in the front on each side. The rollers mounted on the rear of the tray will not slide past the front roller. I tried to remove the front roller, but I cannot with the tray in place. The roller has a stud on the end of its axle that goes through the frame from the inside. I can remove the nut holding it to the frame, but cannot remove the roller because there is not enough room between the tray and the frame to get the roller with the stud attached out.

It appears that the tray frame is welded in place so removing the frame and all is not possible. It looks like the slide is made by Kwikee.

Has anyone removed their battery tray? Any ideas on how to remove it.

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Remove the rollers and the stop tabs. There is a hole in the tray frame that will allow a tool to remove the rollers.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake Sys
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

RedT,

There are no holes in the tray or frame that would allow the rollers to fit through. But there is a smaller hole in the frame that lines up with the top roller in the back. Is there a bolt that runs through the roller? If so, the bolt can probably be removed through this hole.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Battery Tray

Yes, there is a hole in the lide tray on each side that will line up with a roller. The roller is attached with a bolt - an internal wrenching (allen head) bolt for each roller. You will need to remove each roller plus the two stop tabs and then the drawer will pull out.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
Where it's almost like summer!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

do you really?

do you really need to remove the tray ...

I needed to clean and repaint mine a few years ago ... I decided it was easier to just mask the body and the bottom of the compartment door and paint the drawer in place ...

just another thought
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

RedT,

I found the holes in the frame. I thought I could just remove the top rollers in the back. But I needed to remove all four of the back rollers. There was a hole for removal of each of the four bolts holding the rollers. Once they were removed along with the bottom front tab stops, the tray slid right.

I cleaned, wire brushed, and re-painted the tray. I re-installed it this morning with a new set of batteries.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Now that your top coach battery tray is so clean, you will have to remove the bottom chassis battery tray and clean it! <G>