Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I removed my three house batteries tonight to exchange them tomorrow when I get new ones. I disconnected from shore power before removing the batteries, protected the positive leads, then reconnected to shore power. Nothing works..fridge, lights, etc. (a 110v night light is working, microwave is powered up.

Dummy me...I thought the converter/power management system would provide 12v power when connected to shore power even if the batteries are removed. What am I missing?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I removed my three house batteries tonight to exchange them tomorrow when I get new ones. I disconnected from shore power before removing the batteries, protected the positive leads, then reconnected to shore power. Nothing works..fridge, lights, etc. (a 110v night light is working, microwave is powered up.

Dummy me...I thought the converter/power management system would provide 12v power when connected to shore power even if the batteries are removed. What am I missing?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought the converter/power management system would provide 12v power when connected to shore power even if the batteries are removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does on my gasser. I would be surprised if it doesn't on your diesel.
Do you have a house battery disconnect switch?
I do and when it's activated the house batteries are not connected. Everything still works.
Sounds like you did evertything right. I guess I would check all the fuses and or circuit breakers if you haven't already.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On our DPs, the DC output from the inverter/charger goes to the battery bank where another cable carries power forward to the battery disconnect solenoid. I suppose you could operate without the batteries by joining those 2 positive leads together in the battery bay, but I've never tried it.

This is how it's wired with the 2kw inverter, not sure how it's set up without the big inverter.

The converter in the gassers supplies the power to the load side of the battery disconnect, so it doesn't matter if the batteries are there or if the switch is off or on.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The lights and fridge need 12dc volts to work. The ac voltage is converted to 12dc volts when plugged in to shore power. You don't have a problem, when you reconnect the batteries everything will work.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dawg and Tom:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be necessary to connect the two (+) leads in the battery compartment. I guess if you ever need to have the batteries out for some maintenance and want 12v power to the coach, you could make that connection or perhaps put any battery in there and hook it up.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary - what kind of battery did you decide on?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I ended up with three more SRM29 Interstates. I've got the battery watering manifolds (Kwik Fill) so keeping them maintained is not too bad. Just could not justify the $$$$ for AGM on this rig.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Just could not justify the $$$$ for AGM on this rig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I heard those words there was a new rig in that couple's future....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kwik Fill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
smlranger, I also have installed the Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill system. I have been having trouble with battery water leaking out of the small rectangle holes. Have you had any problems like this. I wonder if I need to adjust the charge rates in the inverter.

04 Horizon 40
Old 07-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

James:

I have the Kwik Fill manifolds on the back two of my three batteries. I did have the back two batteries boil over twice. Front battery never did. Talked to the folks at Flow Rite and they said always fill batteries after they were fully charged (I was doing that). I suggested the manifolds were allowing too much water in the cells since my third battery (which I filled visually) had never boiled over. They finally told me they had 'made improvements' to the manifolds recently and sent me new ones.

I've installed the new manifolds on my new batteries and will monitor closely.

If you bought your Kwik Fills more than a year ago, you might want to contact them. They may just give you a new set.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info on your experience. I think I'll check the water level after I fill and see where it is. My batteries are 12v Trojans were you using the same or different batteries? Wonder if it's brand specific? Also I'll give them a call-good idea. Thanks again
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

James:

My previous and latest deep cycles are Interstate SRM29's.

I read a battery maintenance thread that strongly suggested not filling larger deep cycle batteries to the bottom of the fill tubes. It suggested leaving a 1/4" - 3/8" gap to allow for expansion of the electrolyte during charging, especially during warm weather. I believe the Kwik Fill system fills the tubes fully. With the Kwik Fill floats in the fill tube, there is little room for expansion during a charge cycle. Perhaps that is the cause of our issue.