Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Remote Temperature Sensor

I recently bought one of those weather station units by La Crosse Technology that can receive up to 3 remote temperature sensors. I want to mount one of the sensors so that it will read the outside temperature. At first I thought that I could mount it under the hood. But that would cause an inaccurate reading when the generator is running. So now I am thinking of mounting it in the bay that holds the LP tank. It is completely open to the bottom of the coach and not heated.

For those of you that have something similar, where have you mounted your remote sensors?

Also, how have you mounted them? Mine came with a plastic mount that can be screwed to a wall. The sensor then snaps onto the mount. My only concern is how well it grips the sensor. I would hate to have it come loose and fall through to the road underneath when traveling.

I thought I would mount the 2nd remote sensor in the water fill/outside shower/sewer bay to make sure it does not get below freezing when camping in the winter. The 3rd one will probably go into one of the storage bays. Any comments?

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I like the idea of using the propane compartment. How about putting one of the sensors in the freezer or refrigerator?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

i have a temp sensor in the inverter comp over the co-pilots seat, in the front water tank compartment near the water heater, in the main water tank compartment just aft of the entry door, and in the aft water service compartment. i used sticky velcro to mount them. 4 of em!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I haave the exact same setup. Yes, themounts hold prety well but I have some cable ties and wrap one around each remote as a safety 'chain'. I use 2 outside remotes. One on each side on the slide cover frame. That way one is always (almost) outside in the shade. This afternoon, one read 89 and the other 83. The 89 was in the sun. Currently they both read 59. Beautiful Heber, AZ

Works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
I recently bought one of those weather station units by La Crosse Technology that can receive up to 3 remote temperature sensors. I want to mount one of the sensors so that it will read the outside temperature. At first I thought that I could mount it under the hood. But that would cause an inaccurate reading when the generator is running. So now I am thinking of mounting it in the bay that holds the LP tank. It is completely open to the bottom of the coach and not heated.

For those of you that have something similar, where have you mounted your remote sensors?

Also, how have you mounted them? Mine came with a plastic mount that can be screwed to a wall. The sensor then snaps onto the mount. My only concern is how well it grips the sensor. I would hate to have it come loose and fall through to the road underneath when traveling.

I thought I would mount the 2nd remote sensor in the water fill/outside shower/sewer bay to make sure it does not get below freezing when camping in the winter. The 3rd one will probably go into one of the storage bays. Any comments?

Thanks,

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a similar setup. Placed a velcro dot just next to the outside mirror and mount the sensor there when parked. Haven't forgot to remove it yet. The second sensor is in the water service bay. I like the idea about the propane bay though.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am looking for a mounting spot myself but I do not think the sensor is water proof. Mine is a Lacross also. I think I will email them and ask if it is water proof.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I strapped mine to the propane regulator hose. That is well ventelated, on my rig the compartment is insulated (door is insulated) and it's more or less out of the way of engine exhaust. and cooling heat.

The only problem is it reads high if I run the generator since that's on the other side of the rig and heats the compartment a few degrees.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Mounting Remote Sensor

We mounted ours in the propane compartment. Up on the gas line, where it leaves the compartment. I wrapped it in two good quality 1 qt. freezer bags, and very tightly tied it with three wire ties.

Note, most of them require the batteries be put in the remote, THEN the master, otherwise, you will get no reading from the remote.

Ours works very well, as it has for 4 years. I change the batteries in both each spring.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I always have one in the refrigerator and I still have 2 more to mount. I have one in the water-sewer compartment but not mounted yet. I may put the other by the water tank. The dash displays the outside temperature.
My One Center panel is behind the "co pilot" and I have the temperature readout next to it. I like being able to see the time, weather, and frig. temp. from the drivers seat.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a class C and mounted it inside the exterior locked fuel fill compartment using the red 3M outdoor double sided tape. Works well except when the sun is on that side and the comparment is contained should it come off the supplied mounting bracket.

Bob
08 Cambria 29H
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

I have my outdoor sensor mounted under the LR slide. With the slide out, you can use a wire tie to the frame above the storage compartment. It is always out of the sun and rain, and is easy to service (battery).
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Below is the answer I got from LaCrosse. Looks like it has to be out of rain (a little fog or mist is ok) but should not covered with plastic. Iguess I will mount mine in one of the storage compartments. Maybe not a tru outside temp but close enough.

In order to get an accurate reading and to prolong the life of your sensor we recommend that you have it in a sheltered area out of the sun and direct rain. Fog and Mist will not affect the sensor, but a soaking in water may. You can mount it outside under an eve of your house or any other suitable place that will keep it out of the sun and rain. Do not wrap the sensor in plastic or seal it in a plastic bag as these can cause condensation problems and substantially reduced accuracy. Please note a sensor in the Sun will provide inaccurate temperature readings.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Wlf00,
Bill,
what model is that La Crosse Technology weather station?
Thanks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

It is a WS7013U-IT. Got it from RV Toy Store on Sale. I just got a ad from Camping World and they have one on sale that looks the same in the picture.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thank you.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,

Mine is a WS-9077U-IT. I got it from Best Buy through their web site. I ended up getting the additional sensors from another source.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I put the external unit inside a baggie and duct taped it to the cross member inside the genny door. Then it can get wet.
Should remove sensor if in real cold weather so battery doesn't cause freeze/leakage problems.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Bill,
All of these are great suggestions. As for my choice, I bought one @ Camping World called the Weather Channel. The outside sensor is very slim, about the width of maybe two fingers. I found that it will fit very well in the Awning support arm ( front or rear ) @ about eye level. I simply used a very small bungee, and I leave it there as well while driving. It's very secure there, and my other choice would have been the propane bay, but it's much easier to keep tabs on it where it is. Good Luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

They say not to put it in a plastic bag, due to condensation issues, but what if it were vacuum-bagged in one of those food storage pouches? Remove the air, you remove any chance of condensation. Then it could be zip-tied somewhere in the propane compartment without fear of water damage.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I put ours on top of the storage bin on the pass side slide. I used velcro to hold in place near slide rail. It's out of the sun and rain. It's been working fine for a year now. Just changed batteries today.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote