Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recommended replacement for Parallax Power ATS5070

What is the best replacement for the Model ATS 5070 transfer switch?
Bob35A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I installed an ATS503. It's been a while but here's what I remember:

The wire connections are a little different, but not difficult as long as you take good "before" photos and double check everything. If I recall correctly, both have schematics inside their covers.

Before disconnecting anything, I labeled all the wires with the ATS5070 terminal numbers and made a cross-reference sheet with the ATS5070 terminals listed in a column and the corresponding ATS503 terminals next to them. If you use good size pieces of tape to label the wires you can put both terminal numbers on them.

I also found it much easier to unmount the old unit before labeling and removing the wires and to wire the new unit before mounting it. That way you have much easier access. I also recall having to fashion a new mounting board but don't remember why. It could have been due to the size or perhaps, with the new wiring scheme, the new unit wouldn't quite reach the old mounting location. All the more reason to wire the new unit before mounting it.

I also remember carefully tugging on some of the cables where they came out of the body of the MH to get a little more length to facilitate re-wiring.

Finally, are you sure your existing transfer switch is bad? Sometimes all you need to do is tighten all the connections, they have a bad habit of loosening over time. Even if you do install a new one, this is a good thing to do annually.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

All I asked was "What is the best replacement for the Model ATS 5070 transfer switch?"

Thank you for your long and detailed reply. Is the ATS 503 the best replacement?
Old 10-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know how anyone can say it's the best since most of us have only installed one replacement. I know it was mentioned in other threads with good comments. You can always contact the manufacturer and ask what they recommend.

ATSs are pretty generic, I just found it easier to stick with the same manufacturer.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for responding. Some of these devices have built in surge guard technology and I was wondering if they are worth it or a better choice was to stick with a standard ATS, or if there was a highly recommended ATS by coach owners. My ATS has not failed, and I do maintain it once a year, but it's almost 18 years old, so I wanted to be prepared in the event it does fail. The cheapest route is just replacing the relays in the one I have. Thank you again, hope you have a great fall season, I love this time of year.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob35A View Post
Thank you for responding. Some of these devices have built in surge guard technology and I was wondering if they are worth it or a better choice was to stick with a standard ATS, or if there was a highly recommended ATS by coach owners. My ATS has not failed, and I do maintain it once a year, but it's almost 18 years old, so I wanted to be prepared in the event it does fail. The cheapest route is just replacing the relays in the one I have. Thank you again, hope you have a great fall season, I love this time of year.
I already had a hard-wired, Progressive Industries surge protector so that wasn't a consideration.

I think your plan is a good one. I don't know about the combined units but I generally prefer separate units in choices like this. That way I can choose each based on its merits and don't have to replace the entire unit if one part fails.

If you'd provided all this information in your original post, you would have received a much more applicable answer. It's my favorite time of year as well, enjoy.

Tags
power, replacement, replace, ace