Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have no 12V power to my right rear basement compartment light; removed the fixture and the hot lead disappears into the wiring abyss of the compartment ceiling. any suggestions for a fix or do I just live without a light in that storage compartment?? I've eliminated the obvious; interior switch is on and other compartments have light.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have no 12V power to my right rear basement compartment light; removed the fixture and the hot lead disappears into the wiring abyss of the compartment ceiling. any suggestions for a fix or do I just live without a light in that storage compartment?? I've eliminated the obvious; interior switch is on and other compartments have light.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This may not be the problem, but in my coach I need to have the compartment switches 'on' inside the coach for the compartment lights to work. This was the case in my '00 Journey and the new one as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You might want to download the wiring diagram from the Winnebago web site and see where the wire connects to 12 v. The numbers on the diagram are printed on the wires every few inches.

It's possible but not probable that the wire is broken or worn through in the harness.
Most likely I think is a disconnect at the other end. At least that's where I would start.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if the Brave has this, but all of my compartment lights have their own momentary "button" switch that closes the circuit once I open the compartment. If you have these, it's possible you have a bad switch. To check, just use a meter to see if one of the 2 wires on the switch has 12 volts.
You could also disconnect the switch wires and touch them together to see if the light comes on. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You did say you eliminated the obvious, but you didn't say that you checked the bulb. Has the bulb gone bad?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

bulb is good when tried in another lamp socket; I looked at the WBI wiring diagram but have no idea how to locate the 12V power source for the RT. rear compartment light. can anyone read the diagram to give me a clue where to look??
Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just had 3 of the momentary "button" switchs replaced as they stopped working on my compartments. Luckily that was the extent of my compartment light problem

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goopysteve:
bulb is good when tried in another lamp socket; I looked at the WBI wiring diagram but have no idea how to locate the 12V power source for the RT. rear compartment light. can anyone read the diagram to give me a clue where to look?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a look at the diagram. The wire that connects to 12 vdc is yellow and has NW printed on it every few inches. It ends up at pin 7 of a 12 pin connector located "below the galley cabinets". I don't know if that is inside under the cabinets or not, but that's where I would look first.
It connects to two other wires that go to two other compartments- also yellow and labeled NW. The problem is that they don't say where those connections are located. I would suspect that one of the two splice points is defective. Winnebago usually uses a crimp type connector for that kind of splice.
I think I would call customer service and ask them where the splices are located.

The ground wire is white and is labeled WE. It connects to a chassis ground point along with the others but they don't say where.

The diagram you want that shows how the 12 pin connector is numbered is "Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram" on the Winnebago site and the file name is "03_f32v_wire_141053.pdf"
Old 11-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I lost my rear lights and other lights once, everthing just went off. After much looking I found a broken ground wire hanging off a large wireing loop in the very back of the RV rear glass shell. I reattached this broken ground and all was OK. I was shocked to see this large wireing loop just swinging in the wind, so to speak, it would move everytime the RV moved. Finally the ground wire broke while this wireing loop was swinging around. Kind of poor to leave this wire loop just hanging and swinging.

BTW you never said if your compartment door switch had power or if your light switch by the door step is on. My Voyage (AKA Brave) has an on/off switch by the door steps.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote