Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear camera repair

My rear (backup camera) failed on my 2006 Adventurer. I was shocked by the cost, $500, for a replacement for the Sony camera.

I decided to attempt a repair. In my case this is what I found.

1. Removed the camera, found the 6 pin cable connector from the camera had only 5 pins and corrosion indications between the camera cable and the extension cable to the front on the MH.

2. Conclusion, one pin in the connector corroded to an open circuit.

3. Repair >> Added a jumper wire across the connectors to restore the circuit. In my case, it was green wire from the camera that connected to a white wire in the extension cable.

Now the rear camera is operational again.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

my Weldex has a fuzzy pic just may pull it apart and see what I find instead of ordering a new one.. thanks for the inspiration.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good for you. Well done. Thanks for posting as it will no doubt help others.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I agree... Nice job!
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don The Ham View Post
My rear (backup camera) failed on my 2006 Adventurer. I was shocked by the cost, $500, for a replacement for the Sony camera.

I decided to attempt a repair. In my case this is what I found.

1. Removed the camera, found the 6 pin cable connector from the camera had only 5 pins and corrosion indications between the camera cable and the extension cable to the front on the MH.

2. Conclusion, one pin in the connector corroded to an open circuit.

3. Repair >> Added a jumper wire across the connectors to restore the circuit. In my case, it was green wire from the camera that connected to a white wire in the extension cable.

Now the rear camera is operational again.
Don,
Well Sir, it sounds like you got a good handle on the problem. You found exactly what I found, twice in our setup. It too is the Sony. It's on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 C-7 CAT. The color picture goes fuzzy, some lines, quits completely, then comes back and more. Anyway, as you may have found out, that plug, is a 6-pin-din connector. And, the good part, it's proprietary to Sony. Meaning, (if you don't know) that plug was made for Sony and, you cannot get replacement plugs just like them.

But, the good news, you can find other configured 6-pin-din plugs. I just found this out the other day so, I'll pass the good info on. Here's the deal. If you, or anyone that's dealing with a Sony system in their coach is having problems with their setup, and, you find out the camera and monitor are both good but, the cable ends are corroded and or, broke like yours, here's all that's needed since you cannot get a new plug from Sony.

Just go out to any computer supply, St Vincent DePaul or, any place that deals in scrap computers and, all the cables that are used by them. The cable you need is called a PS-2 cable. It's normally for the mouse to computer. You need the one that has both a female and male end, 6-pin-din. I just bought one from St Vincent DePaul for a whopping "ONE DOLLAR".

All that's needed now is, cut both cables, carefully match wire to wire, pin to pin, solder, shrink tube, seal, you're done. Basically you don't need the cable, just the ends but, since you can't remove the ends, you just cut a foot or so down line and, expose the six wires. Do the same for the other end and, do it for the ones on the coach.

Now, like stated, match all the wires, and you now have basically brand new plugs. Talk about a cheap fix. Even if you had to go to Staples or, Office Depot or, even Radio Shack, a new PS-2 cable is most likely about $5.00.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Scott

Sounds like a better solution, i.e., replacing the connectors. If I have to revisit this issue in the future, I will take your advice.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don The Ham View Post
Scott

Sounds like a better solution, i.e., replacing the connectors. If I have to revisit this issue in the future, I will take your advice.

Don,
We're on a trip right now and, my camera has been acting up, about the same time, every day. I don't know if it's getting warm, the connections at the cable back there, or what? But, we're camped in Denver right now and, looking up places for either computer cables, or, Radio Shacks or, any place that might help with my problem. I found this place:

House of Cables and Micros

There is a very nice lady there that will help you with what you'll need. In the haste for getting ready for the trip, I forgot the "PS/2 extension cable" I purchased for a dollar. It's sitting on the work bench at home. What an air head. Anyway, this place, has not only brand new, 6' PS/2 extension cables for, $4.95 but, she's also got the 6-pin-din connectors, both male and female for sale too. They're about $4.00 ea. But, it looks really simple to do.

I elected to purchase the PS/2 6' extension cable just so I could cut that in 1/2 and have 3' from the new male end and, 3' from the new female end. That way, I've got plenty of cable to goof around with and practice with, if I need it. It sure is a pain when that darn thing just goes black and I can't see the toad and or the hitch, tow bar etc. That sucks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, repair