Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear camera

When in reverse, or normal driving, the small 7 inch monitor displays the message (no video) side cameras work the way they should when using turn signals. The cameras were working fine until Tuesday that's when the no video
Message came up when selecting the rear camera.
Thought I ask the experts, before I start taking things apart.
The coach is a 2015 Tour QD. Steve.
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
First place to look is the plugs at the back of your monitor. Sounds like one has worked loose.
Good Luck.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem in a 2009 Destination - Some have thought that heat in the area of the monitor was causing the problem. Some have thought it was a ground problem. Others that it is the cable connection in the rear cap of the motorhome. My problem is intermittent. Works fine for thousands of miles then quits for a while, only to start working fine later. Quick test (if you can get to the back of the monitor) is to change the rear camera with a side camera and see if the problem goes away.

On mine, after checking what I previously listed, I think the camera is failing. I did manage to track down a new camera - just have not installed it yet.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Unplanned.
Thanks, looks like removing a few screws and part top of dash can be removed, then I can access the back of the monitor.
Steve.
steve4539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4539 View Post
Unplanned.
Thanks, looks like removing a few screws and part top of dash can be removed, then I can access the back of the monitor.
Steve.
Quick and easy way to check is like mikey53 said. Swap the side camera and rear camera wires and see if the problem changes to the side camera. That's if it's not just a loose cable.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the exact same problem on my Winnebago Journey.

The difference is, my rear camera stays on full time, unless, I turn it off or use the signals.

My problem started off being an intermittent nuisance, then worked its way to full time "No Video"

The problem, was in the camera wiring, at the plug end where it attached to another cable ( I call this a transfer cable ) that runs to the video display. Finding it was a trick, but not that difficult.

First place to start is where the transfer cable comes in under the dash. You might be able to locate it, as I did without taking any dash components apart.

The Winnebago wiring diagram for mine is here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_178459.pdf

It is listed in the Front End Wiring part of the Electrical Wiring Diagrams free from Winnebago

Send me a direct/Private message and I will give you my phone number. I am not an expert, but I'd be happy to talk you thru, at least some < of your problem search.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When mine quit, I eventually located a faulty ground at the camera. I would begin at the non-working camera, determine is has 12V+, then 12V-. If it doesn't, then remove the dash cover for further testing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Same symptoms on my '08 Tour, and it ended up being the connection in the rear cap where the camera plugs into the cable that runs to the front. Very dirty back there, and it eventually worked into the connector. I carefully pulled the cable up, then cleaned the connector and wrapped it with electrical tape. No more problems since. Good luck!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have had problems with our rear camera since new. Multiple repair tickets to establish tight connections, then would work for anywhere from 100 miles to several months, then fail again with the no video detected message.

Just picked up the coach today from yet another attempt. This time they replaced the camera and wiring harness, found the plug had been installed between the rear cap and a brace causing the plug to break.

The tech thought he had it cured finally.

Got on the interstate, made it three miles before it did it again. Turn around, go back and it starts working again just as I pull into the dealers lot!

I have had a number of people suggest the switch that connects the side cameras and the rear to the monitor is bad, and the tech concurs. Since they did not have one in stock I'm going to monitor it closely until the next trip is over and probably will have them try that.

Who knows!

I'm thinking seriously about writing WI about this. I am well out of warranty now, but the problem has been well documented since new. If they don't, I do have an extended warranty so it is no big deal.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a 6 pin Sony cable on my 2010 Ellipse connecting the rear camera...I cut off the connectors at the rear camera and put all the wires back together...still no picture. Does anyone know which color wires is power & ground? Camera was working intermittently this year till I juggled the connector to try fix the trouble resulting in not working at all lol.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera