Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Radio power rocker

Hello,
My 2003 Itasca has a rocker switch which is labeled: RADIO POWER, to one side is marked AUX and the other MAIN? Could any of you give me clarity on this switch?
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

One way it goes off with the key and other way it stays on
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you activate that switch you can run your radio off the house batteries when the ignition is off.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you

Thanks guys for the information! Always appreciated
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't have any reason to use the switch, as we just leave the Pioneer In-Dash system on the house batteries. I removed it, taped the switch in the house battery position, and tucked it in the dash. Then I reused the cutout for another switch.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind that when you stop and dry camp for a while, and switch that switch on the dash so the radio is on, that audio really sucks the juice at high volume and can run your battery down pretty quickly, especially if the battery is old and tired.

With that dash switch in the Radio position, the radio acts just like any car radio. When you stop and switch off the car, the radio goes off. With it in the Aux position in an RV, the radio stays ON when you're parked and the key is off.

It is handy to have that switch when you're parked or plugged into shore power because it allows using the radio without having the key in ACC position. I use it literally all the time because I plug the output of the flat panel TV into the radio so I can get surround sound. That way didn't have to find a place to mount one of those sound bars. Which just don't sound very good to me. I like using the big, heavy speakers that came with the surround sound system.

In my '02 Winnie, I too have a TV - Radio switch and circuit up above the dash but it's MONO for some really strange reason. They've had stereo TVs for decades before '02 but Winnie decided MONO was the way to go. Which meant the wiring to the radio was mono so I had to add my own wiring to bypass that switch and circuit.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
Hello,z
My 2003 Itasca has a rocker switch which is labeled: RADIO POWER, to one side is marked AUX and the other MAIN? Could any of you give me clarity on this switch?
Thanks,
Bart

When the engine is not running move the switch to AUX to prevent running down the starter battery.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Radio rocker switch

This switch also turns on the surround sound if equipped.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, radio