Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question regarding how to determine battery type for ZAMP Charge Controller

Hello all,

As stated, I am a rookie and I greatly appreciate this forum....

A few questions:
I am reviewing the Solar Charge Controller information and I wanted to make sure the battery type is correct. They are listed as Napa Batteries. How do I go about that?

Regarding the inverter, do I need to have that on during travel for the refrigerator? It is a Norcold DC model.

I'm a bit confused and any very simple answers plus anything anyone else can offer this rookie is greatly appreciated. I am learning a lot.

Thank you!
Cocoa Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Battery type

I believe what you are asking is what type of battery for your controller. It wants to know what type of battery not brand. If you have the Napa most likely it is the sealed Lead acid type. It may be an AGM but you need to research this further to be certain. On my Travato it came with the Napa Commercial Type with sealed tops on it. When I went to the AGM’s the installer reset my Zamp controller to AGM settings. If you can’t determine yourself go to a battery place and ask them to help you determine the exact type. It’s easy to set your controller per instructions. Good luck, Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

1. I am reviewing the Solar Charge Controller information and I wanted to make sure the battery type is correct. They are listed as Napa Batteries. How do I go about that?

Napa is a brand name, not a battery type. If they have screw tops for adding water, they're "flooded lead acid". If they're sealed, they could either be "sealed lead acid" or AGM. An AGM battery will likely have the letters AGM on it. The battery will have a size and model number of some sort that will identify the type if you Google it or call a Napa auto parts store. The size will be a number, possibly followed by a letter (31, 27M, etc.) denoting its physical size and is not definitive as to type. Gel cell is another, but unlikely possibility.)

2. Regarding the inverter, do I need to have that on during travel for the refrigerator? It is a Norcold DC model.

Simple answer = "No". According to your operator manual:

REFRIGERATOR 12V
–If Equipped
The refrigerator in your motorhome can
operate from either of two energy sources
available to the motorhome:
• 120-Volt AC Electric-through 12V converter
power
• 12-Volt DC Electric

(The "converter" is only active when connected to shore power. It converts 120V shore power to 12V DC. Your "converter" also has a charger function and will charge your house, batteries, but not your starting battery, while on shore power. Your "inverter" is a different device and is designed to run 120V appliances when there's no shore power and has nothing to do with your DC refrigerator.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Look at the top of the battery. If it has removable ports on top for checking electrolyte and adding water, it is a flooded cell lead acid deep cycle type or lead acid for short.

If it is sealed then it might be one of two types:

Absorbed glass mat (AGM) type which is a good compromise for a zero maintenance battery. Somewhere on the side it should say AGM if it is.

Sealed lead acid which is not generally considered a deep cycle type but are sold that way all of the time.

Also get the NAPA model number and look it up online. It will be one of the above types.

And of course there are lithium ferrous phosphate (lithium or LFP) batteries but AFAIK Napa doesn't sell them.

You don't have to run the inverter to power a 12V DC refrigerator. Your RV's DC system will power it as long as the battery disconnect or use/store switch is on and the batteries have a decent charge. The inverter is only used to power 120V AC devices.

If you have a TT, your TV should charge the batteries (but not very fast) when the engine is running. If you have a MH the chassis alternator should charge the batteries when the engine is running.

David
Old 03-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It appears to me, You are asking and referring to the Battery Type selection switch on your ZAMP 30A controller
Provide a wide range of Battery type setting for each battery: Gel, AGM, Conventional lead-acid (WET), Calcium, LiFePO4, LTO (Lithium Titanium Oxide)Battery types selection.

Factory installs Lead Acid. Switch the ZAMP to that setting after checking the top of the battery for its type.
Lefler39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Team

The Zamp 30-amp solar charge controller has a number of battery-type settings:

For your Vista 29V you would choose between WET Flooded Lead Acid if you have to add water to your battery or if you have "maintenance free" Lead Acid Batteries.

If you have AGM batteries you would use AGM setting. (Some Zamp controllers have an AGM-1 and an AGM-2 setting. AGM-1 is a special charge profile that would not apply to NAPA AGM batteries).

As others have mentioned you should find a model number on the battery and when you look that up you'll know if you have a maintenance free lead acid battery or an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery.

I would guess - but it's only a guess - that you do not have AGM batteries in your Vista. Other members have said they have the maintenance free type of WET Flooded Lead Acid Batteries in their Vista 29V motorhome.

But you should still check and look for part numbers on the battery or see if there is wording for AGM or Maintenance Free Lead Acid on the battery.

NOTE: you will probably find 3-batteries sitting next to each other. One will diffinately have removable caps to add water - that will be your motorhome's engine start battery (it's called the Chassis Battery). That is not charged directly via your Zamp Charge Controller. The two batteries next to it are your HOUSE batteries and together they make your 12v House Battery Bank. Those are the batteries you need to check to see if they are AGM or not.

Tags
battery