Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Ques: Coach Batteries and Disconnect Switch?

Battery disconnect switch in belly bay:
When in OFF position, are the coach batteries completely isolated?

I ask because when OFF the coach 12V lights still work (Okiebago plugged into shore power).

Or when OFF does it only disconnect the batteries from the charging system?

The way I read the owner manual nothing 12V should work when the disconnect is OFF, including the charging system.

?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Team

DC, I don't know the Vista LX specifically but I'd think the main disconnects are in the stairwell of the doorway on one or two solenoid switches.

I just checked your Operator's Manual and the above is true for your Vista LX.

On newer units with inverters installed from the factory there is an older type rotary cutoff knob (salesman's switch) in the basement bay. That rotary knob only disconnects the inverter from the battery bank iand is not usually turned off unless you are disconnecting your batteries.

But, regardless, when the whole house battery switch is off then you should have no HOUSE 12v items such as ceiling lights or sconces still powered. And, if plugged in to shore power in storage I believe the RV's converter or inverter/charger would not charge your batteries when the stairwell solenoid switch is off.

Here's your Operator's Manual detail on this topic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.06.01 AM.png
Views:	128
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	176741  
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It depends. On a lot of factors.
If I disable my coach batteries at the switch when unplugged, it disables them from just about everything. Although I believe some manufacturers are hard wiring some appliances directly to the coach batteries. My fridge may be hard wired.
If the batteries are disabled, and I then provide AC power to the coach via the shore power cable (by shore power post or generator) my coach batteries "wake up" and the little green "enabled" light glows, even though I didn't manually enable them, and 12V DC powered appliances (including lights) work.
Does this help? (Correct answer is "huh, what the heck?")
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 Vista 27N which is very close to Vista LX electrically.

No, not completely isolated. Here's what still gets chassis battery power with the Chassis Disconnect Relay in the open position:

Battery Isolation Relay, it's still possible to operate the battery boost switch on the dash and tie the coach and chassis batteries together.

3 circuit breakers in the chassis electrical box that provide power to the coach electric step.

5 amp in-line fuse that feeds power to the Chassis Disconnect Control Circuits consisting of the Chassis Battery Disconnect Switch and the Chassis Disconnect Interlock Relay.

Finally, there's a direct connect from the chassis battery to an isolated stud on the passenger side of the chassis. From there there is a Ford Chassis OEM wire that goes to the chassis starter motor. I think Ford may also feed a chassis fuse or 2 in one of the power boxes from there, too.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, switch