Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
I have both a Surge Guard and an Autoformer installed in my electrical bay because while the Surge Guard only protects from surges and high/low voltage the Autoformer also corrects. I have the Surge Guard first so if I take a damaging surge hit it will blow the SurgeGuard and I will still have the Autoformer with its limited surge protection still running day and night automatically correcting high and low voltage situiations and saving me on the costs related to equipment wearing out prematurely from out of spec voltage at the pedastle while the Surge Guard is out for repairs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with Neil...

We finally bought a 30 amp autoformer last year primarily due to extremely poor power (105-109 volts at 25-30 amp draw) we encountered at Freightliner in Tolleson (Phoenix.) I was really amazed when we returned to Freightliner equipped with the autoformer. Out of curiosity I studied our voltage carefully and never saw it below about 115 volts.

Of course you don't get something for nothing - trade-off is you have a little less current available but not the damaging low voltage.

Our autoformer is the portable type and I only break it out when we have poor power. Probably 85% of our poor power situations occurs on 30 amp service, and a preponderance of those at non-commercial campgrounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John:

Why did you purchase the 30A unit instead of the 50A one?